Pop OS and hardware upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogsofJune

Supreme [H]ardness
My Plex/Gaming whore is getting an upgrade. Plex duties will now be served by an X58 Xeon combo under Win 10. I'm looking to have just a pure Linux gamer. So the 4770k and motherboard are pending sale and I have a 2700x with a Asus ROG Strix B450-F filling the void.

My question is, can I get away with cloning the current ssd to an NVME, or is it best practice to just do a clean install?

I hear so much about how resilient Linux is when swapping hardware. Just looking for some tips.

Well so much for the upgrade.... Mobo dead. Last Asus product ever.

Well so much for the upgrade.... Mobo dead. Last Asus product ever.
How many Asus boards have failed on you? I have bought well over 100 Asus boards over the years and I personally haven't had one fail that I can remember.

Two mobo's and one video card, all in the last three months. No more ROG Strix crap.

Currently back on a Gigabyte board and a 3770K.... Not super happy. Really wanted that AMD box running. Damn 3770K box has been going for seven years now. Ready for an upgrade.

Glad I didn't sell that bastard yet, otherwise all I'd be stuck with is an anemic threadripper and a core i3 Nuc. Can't game with that shit

Check the PSU...
Way ahead of ya. Swapped out an Antec, and a couple of Corsairs. Re-seated everything. Swapped ram, video cards, cussed, went as minimal as possible. Put the 2700x in another board and it's fine.
Asus stuff just rubs me a little raw right now. I am taking the Asus board back to MC and see about swapping it out.

Usually, stuff just goes together with minimal issue. Just perturbed that this wasn't another smooth assembly. Will try again when I have time.

Round TWO!!

I have a brand new Asus ROG Strix board....... again.

Dear eight pound, six ounce bebe Jesus...... yeah you know the rest....

I've used Asus boards almost exclusively and they've served me well. Granted I shop hardware once in 10 years currently.

I've used Asus boards almost exclusively and they've served me well. Granted I shop hardware once in 10 years currently.
I haven't had the same experiences, and in the short time I did go with them, issues and recalls. Brands are subjective. Just a run of bad instances that I personally have had. No need to turn this into a brand fanboi thread. This is a Linux hardware upgrading thread.

Several rounds of Linux install no-go, (because I'm stubborn) one round of Windows compliance........
What fuckin ever works man

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back