poor wifi (b/g) network performance from usb-wlan nic?

SYN ACK

[H]ard|Gawd
performance was somewhat crappy on xp (3mb/3mb in speed testing), but even worse in win7...im using vista drivers (no win7 drivers avail)

im on the opposite side of the house, and the cable modem wont come online all the way across the house/up 2 floors. so im using a usb rosewill wlan-nic, which gets about an 11mbit signal from my linksys 54gl router with dd-wrt.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1116/productDetail.htm

qos config is standard, nothing too special or out of the ordinary.

my question is whether it is a driver issue, or tcp stack issue.

essentially, my web pages are fairly responsive (dns, http - with the added wireless latency)...but simultaneous connections really kill it.

browsing lots of large res photos (open in multiple windows), for example - will completely kill the connection..and it will want to download/focus on one image at a time...then on to the next, versus pulling down data from all at the same time (albiet, at a slower rate).

youtube is painfully slow (or any other flash/video app)...and download speeds have dropped since going to win7 - which i assume is because of the vista drivers/non-true win7 drivers.

on xp, i was seeing about 3mb/3mb, sometimes a little higher on the upstream.
on win7, im seeing about .5-1mb/1.5mb...why am i getting better upstream performance than downstream ???

is there a tcp stack issue, or am i overloading the usb wlan nic with too many concurrent tcp connections? or is that a limitation in wireless as well (getting/responding ACKs, etc...just overall latency loss in wireless?)

Is the usb port you're connecting to USB 2? I know I've got to knock the speed of my wireless connection back quite a bit to not have problems on my laptop with usb 1.1.

While not ideal, try forcing a slightly lower connection speed than it usually connects at and seeing if it is more reliable.

i have a new am3+
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P
"8 x USB 2.0"

you know - come to think of it, i do remember a popup saying something along the lines of "it would be better to connect this device to a usb2.0 port" - so maybe there is a mixup somewhere or driver issue?

im trying to look now to find that error message again...hmm, that could well be it..
any idea where to look in win7? or how to find out if it is running usb 1.1 or 2.0?

the wlan nic driver shows "2.0"...but now i need to check to see if it is running at that speed...

wifi connects 18-24mbit now,
but still...

518/974...faster upstream than downstream.

i wonder if there's a tcp window issue, somewhere....

anyone know how i could find out if a device is running usb 1.1 vs 2.0 in win7?

I don't know about 7 but in XP if you look in device manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers an entry with "Enhanced Host Controller" in it indicates USB 2. If its not there then only USB 1.1 is available.

it lists 2.0 in my wlan nic driver (54mbit b/g USB 2.0)
all of my rear mobo ports are 2.0

i am just wondering how to find out if the device is running 2.0 or not (not whether the device or the mobo port is capable of 2.0)

thx

Unplug it and then plug it back in. If you get the "This device can perform faster...." pop up then something is wrong and its running at USB 1.1 speeds. Other than that I'm not sure how you check the speed. Check device manager for any yellow ! or other problems.

Maybe your signal reception is bad?!... Are you far away from the router? If yes you should take a look to that...

I just bought a Cantenna at this link and in a clear line of sight I did 1miles easly! And I only paid additional 15$ of you product.

http://www.illumi-nations.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6

They are also selling powerful USB antenna that you can reach signal at 4-5miles... (I bought both are they are pretty good...)

Back