Poor raid 0 NVME on threadripper x399??

groebuck

2[H]4U
Just builf my threadripper and used two wd black 256GB nvmes and set up raid 0 on them. Benchmarks...are meh at best. My 960 pro pisses all over this and that is a stand alone nvme, Any thoughts? Did I do something wrong?

Just builf my threadripper and used two wd black 256GB nvmes and set up raid 0 on them. Benchmarks...are meh at best. My 960 pro pisses all over this and that is a stand alone nvme, Any thoughts? Did I do something wrong?
I've heard if you stare at Threadripper wrong raid 0 NVME performance can vary wildly.

No user experience here though, best of luck. You should be able to get it working more as expected, but it may take some extra effort.

I just ran tests on my single nvme and it skunked the raid 0 nvme in threadripper...wtf?

what motherboard do you have? Are you sure both M.2 slots are NVME capable, or is one NVME and one is SATA?

X399 Taichi they are identical WD black NVME drives. I have a 512 single I can test in it and possibly a Samsung 960 pro if I sell off my 7700K rig. It's just the raid numbers are lower than a single nvme ssd.

Was a clean install latest bios on mobo, did an f5 install of win 10 to the raid array then the ususal install of chipset drivers and raid drivers in windows. Not sure what is going on, I will run some benches and post .

I was looking in your board manual and found this blurp under the 'Easy RAID Installer' header.
"Easy RAID Installer helps you to copy the RAID driver from the support CD to your USB storage device. After copying the drivers please change the SATA mode to RAID, then you can start installing the operating system in RAID mode."

If I'm reading correctly, you'd need to have your drives in SATA mode from the get go. Then copy the RAID drivers. Once the RAID drivers are installed, then change to RAID mode and install Windows. Just trying to offer advise. If you have done this, the only other thing I can think of is the manual doesn't appear to explicitly say it supports RAID 0 with NVME interface. Perhaps it only supports RAID 0 with M.2 drives in SATA flavor. Or one M.2 can be NVME, but the second M.2 can only be SATA. <-- (If that makes sense).

Yeah I have been through all that - it is not very intuitive in setting up raid. NVME raid was added via AMD to all x399 mobos.

Not really - I updated the drivers and eventually bought a raid nvme card but it seemed hit or miss on raid 0 performance.

Back