Poor, poor S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ...

MH Knights

Gawd
I so wanted to play this game sometime soon, but according to THQ's latest quarterly earnings report S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been delayed to Oct '06 at the earliest. Man when was this game first annouced? 2002? And what is even worse is that the game keeps getting uglier as time goes on. Try and convince me that the newer footage looks better than the so called DX8 stuff that they origninally showed. Stupid shiney plastic mapping....ahem I mean normal/bump mapping had to ruin things.

I will go shed a tear for it now... :(

WHAT?!?!?!?!? This sucks. This game is gonna rock. Oh well, maybe i'll have a better video card by then.

They dont want it to compete with HL 3 and Doom4 and Duke Nukem Forever.

Hopefully this time the developers will be able to impliment stuff like:

Multiplayer Modes
Multiplayer bots
changeable names in multi
no memory leaks
flashlight and gun at same time

you know what I mean...

I think this game is going to get canceled at some point.

From the videos it looked pretty playable, and that was last winter/spring/summer? I wonder what the delay is due to, hopefully the addition of multiplayer modes. :confused:

I believe they are having some major issues with their AI and such, at least that was one of the things they mentioned the last time it was delayed...

I was really, really looking forward to this game. But judging from the videos, the game does need an insane amount of polishing (weird AI, crappy animations, etc.) :(

According to a recent interview the game was actually quite close to being complete but they decided the story 'wasnt good enough' so they'd rework the entire thing (based off a book called 'a roadside picnic' btw, go download it, its awesome, and free).

I reckon because of the delay they'll probably take the opportunity to tank up the game and optomise it more as well as implementing new techs into it, who knows but, we just have to wait.

But yer, sucks crap that it was delayed, was meant to come out about...i think 11 months ago.

I remember some dude on here pissed that HL2 wasn't out yet (which means it must be boycotted) and he said that he and many others are going the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. route. I wonder if he's played HL2 yet? :)

WTF? They had a pretty good alpha like 2 years ago... It leaked to the net, and it was actually very playable, just missing contents. The basics (damn huge environment, neat engine,...) were there.

I will still get this game. If the gameplay is fun, and the visuals are at least on par with the original Call of Duty, or maybe even that last Star Trek game, that will be more than good enough for me to be happy with it.

They dont want it to compete with HL 3 and Doom4 and Duke Nukem Forever.

LOL

I don't think DN:F counts as competition for anything, except maybe with Daikatana for the coveted title of "longest wait, hardest suck" :p

So it looks like the devs didn't even know about this? That is not a good sign.......

Also I have seen some people thinking the game is getting delayed so it can be released on the 360/PS3. Pure rumor B.S.

I have heard that the "A-Life" engine that handles all the A.I. has given them trouble. It can be very unpridictable and can do things like having an A.I. Stalker trying to shoot off his own foot because he thinks its an enemy. This makes me wonder about ES4: Oblivion's "Radiant A.I." system as it sounds just as complex but has had a much shorter developement time.

And this game is not the next DNF. The difference is that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been playable on several occasions and has had (at various points) a steady stream of information coming from the devs. What have we seen of DNF over the last few years? A couple of screens and a movie?

Bummer. This is one of the few games I was really looking forward to. The premise is just incredible, and the fact that the maps are modeled on real-life locales really draws me in. Plus, I'm just fascinated by the whole Chernobyl thing anyway.

I certainly hope this doesn't die. Perhaps some big developer will see the potential and snap it up (e.g., Valve, iD, etc.).

PCJ said:
WTF? They had a pretty good alpha like 2 years ago... It leaked to the net, and it was actually very playable, just missing contents. The basics (damn huge environment, neat engine,...) were there.

I remember that alpha. I was suprised how well it ran on my GeForce3 Ti200. It was very nice looking too. Ever since then I've been keeping an ear open for news of this game, it's a shame that development has taken so long.

-Ace-

Imho, FEAR has already done what Stalker has set out to do. Mayve not completely, but almost.

if they get this game right ... the pain we experience because of the delay will fade ...

i have watched some videos etc ... if they get this right it will be like no other fps i have played ...

ShuttleLuv said:
Imho, FEAR has already done what Stalker has set out to do. Mayve not completely, but almost.

eh? Fear is nothing like Stalker.....at all, unless it's because they both have guns that you shoot...

Stalker is an open-ended story driven fps game, day/night and weather cycles, factions to join, gear/weapons to acquire/buy, vehicles to get, etc.

There's got 2 be a reason why they're delaying it for another year.... chances are that the game engine or the game itself is glitchy, buggy, unoptimized for older hardware, or maybe it just plain sucks and they want to re-do a lot of it to make it more fun.

How long has it been in development?

I havent been following this game because the release dates have kept changing.

Stalker can't be compared to other regular shooters, it's basic premise is about half way between a traditional shooter and GTA.

It's far more ambitious than generic shooters like Half life, FEAR or Quake.

Too bad...just too bad. Maybe they'll re-think including a CO-OP option. I know initially it was going to be a feature, then talked about as a possibility, and then scrapped all together.

I still really like the idea of the open-ended story lines. Gosh, that reminds me of Deus Ex...I need to find another game like that one...

MH Knights said:
It can be very unpridictable and can do things like having an A.I. Stalker trying to shoot off his own foot because he thinks its an enemy.

What's the big deal? Just write into the storyline that all the enemy soldiers are on LSD. Problem solved...no debugging required!

kpedge said:
What's the big deal? Just write into the storyline that all the enemy soldiers are on LSD. Problem solved...no debugging required!
that would be AWESOME lol

Smith said:
From the videos on its site, the AI seems fine.

Think about this, they wouldn't show clips of the ai going haywire and shooting there own feet because they tink its an enemy, but remeber not all bugs are bad, the heli's in hl2 shooting done rockets from a rocket launcher started off as an AI bug, the sence where the heli spits out 5 million bombs, happened as a bug and the beta testers didn't know it was a bug and thought it was frinking cool.. till the computer crashed becasue in the beta, the bug, it spat out millions to the point that there was soo many bombs on screen that the vid card and cpu could no longer render it/ proccess physics for it.

Chilly

540331_20050519_screen001.jpg

ME0000572744_2.jpg

ME0000569310_2.jpg

ME0000572745_2.jpg

ME0000569312_2.jpg

ME0000569315_2.jpg

stalkercd117uy.jpg

From what I know this game was to be released many many years ago. I believe when it was named Oblivion Lost. All these delays on this game is pathetic. There is a new leak out to build 2215. This game has stared production in 2001 and we won't see it till 2007ish. Pretty gay in my opinion. Was suppose to be out in 2003, 2004, 2005 and now '06-07 wonderful.

Shoot me

And old shots

stalker4li.jpg

ME0000572746_2.jpg

I love this game still do by the way but if it get delayed again after late 06 (most likly will) then they just have destroyed it and wasted there money and time.

Also is it alright if someone could send me a build of this game if its alright and still around I want to have a test. (But if it illegal to do then don't)

Here's a old Wallpaper of it with Oblivion Lost.Note : Read the bottom of the wallpaper.

Back