Poor FPS w/ X800 XT ...

Ok, maybe poor is an overstatement, but I'm definetly disappointed. I pieced together a system that almost cost 3k and its just not performing on the level I expected.

Core components are Asus X800 XT PCI Express, P4 3.4GZ and 2GB of pc4200 memory. I did the video stress test in Counter Strike Source and barely managed 38.9fps. I'm running at 1280x1024 with everything on high and I at least expected to get 60fps.

I ran Doom 3 on Ultra (I know, they want 512 video memory) and only managed 25-30fps at the most. Far Cry gave me better results with everything maxed and I was hitting around 40-55fps.

Still, for the money I spent and the configuration, seems like I'd be doing better. Is there anything I should look into tweaking, maybe in the Catalyst control panel? Are there any main settings in there holding me back? Thanks for your suggestions.

You're missing some drivers or something is disabled that shouldn't be. Check all your settings in dxdiag. I get 94fps in the stress test @ 1280x1024, max details, 4xAA/8AF. So yeah you got something wrong or missing or disabled. Sry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

You Guys Waist Your Mony Wait For The Nvidia Sli Dont Get A Pci-e X800xt Wate Of Many Man Tellin You :d

AlexStenka said:
You Guys Waist Your Mony Wait For The Nvidia Sli Dont Get A Pci-e X800xt Wate Of Many Man Tellin You :d

Try and add something useful to the topic next time. :rolleyes:

Are all the drivers up to date? BIOS...? Maybe you should uninstall and reinstall some drivers and play with tweaking them. However, to me your machine's performance does not seem bad at all. The games are very playable on your machine I do not think however, that 2 GIG of memory will increase performance all that much over 1 GIG of memory. Would it?

AlexStenka said:

Your SLI bull is not going to really take flight like you guys really think, money, power consumption, heat generation, man hell no. Plus ATI is already going to be countering this SLI non sence, and guess what with one card, yea its possible. Read the graphics news at the inquirer to see for your self.

Your SLI bull is not going to really take flight like you guys really think, money, power consumption, heat generation, man hell no. Plus ATI is already going to be countering this SLI non sence, and guess what with one card, yea its possible. Read the graphics news at the inquirer to see for your self.

They alredy have dual 480 watts PSU so add that together and tell me what you get that enough power and heat aint a problem either water cooling and for the pepole that have mony are gone get it nVidia is gone smoke ATI with SLI, they both are good companys so I aint no fucking !!!!!! but I got to give it to nVidia this time becouse of the SLI.

AlexStenka said:
Catsonar said:
Neither of you can spell, or seem know what a dot is for.

I smell a perfectionist( Darth_Fluffy)= what a fruit like name.Anyways, I'm really not against Nvidia like you guys think, its just that you Nvidiots glorify this SLI crap like crazy, why did Nvidia have to cheat. I look at it this way, a fight with two guys is about to happen, then one brings his friend into the fight as well, now its two against one, of course Nvidia is going to win, its pretty lame on Nvidia's part that thats the only way they would be able to beat ATI. I give the credit that Nvidia made a huge comeback with this GPU( not SLI) and there drivers kickass but that is it.

you should be getting alot higher than 38fps man. make sure to install chipset dirvers. i also heard the xt drivers only use 128mb, not too sure though.

smell a perfectionist( Darth_Fluffy)= what a fruit like name.Anyways, I'm really not against Nvidia like you guys think, its just that you Nvidiots glorify this SLI crap like crazy, why did Nvidia have to cheat. I look at it this way, a fight with two guys is about to happen, then one brings his friend into the fight as well, now its two against one, of course Nvidia is going to win, its pretty lame on Nvidia's part that thats the only way they would be able to beat ATI. I give the credit that Nvidia made a huge comeback with this GPU( not SLI) and there drivers kickass but that is it.

Yeah ok well why can't ATI come out with SLI nVidia dinin't cheat it's for the pepole man better preformence in games. Pepole don't care how who does who they care about preformance so if ATI would of came out with SLI then I would go for ATI and I don't see how nVidia cheated cuz they already pushed their GPU's to the max so the only thing left right now is SLI. :eek:

AlexStenka said:

Only The First Word In A Sentence Is Capitalized.

I did the stress test at 12x10, 6AA/16AF, and got 80 some FPS. Something is definatly wrong.

Jesus... /me hits the ignore button a LOT.

Anyway, check the drivers, fast-writes, and run dxdiag for us. Also temps, please.

And whoever said SLI was cheating, you make me laugh. Really hard.

make sure your installed your drivers in the right order, and your applicaiton accelerator is installed, and you have the latest drivers from the web, not from the CD's the hardware came with, and turn your VC settings to default

and dont knock on him for buying a PCI-E system, PCI-E is great and his system is something that lots of people wish they had.

AlexStenka said:
Yeah ok well why can't ATI come out with SLI nVidia dinin't cheat it's for the pepole man better preformence in games. Pepole don't care how who does who they care about preformance so if ATI would of came out with SLI then I would go for ATI and I don't see how nVidia cheated cuz they already pushed their GPU's to the max so the only thing left right now is SLI. :eek:

Look Alex, I can understand where your comming from, and if ATI would have come out with SLI I would have bashed on them about it, I just hate the SLI concept( and SLI is a 3DFX thing, Nvidia just reinvented it cause they bought the company, no inovation there). Look if it works for you than great, but really the only reason I would get SLI would be if I were editing video's or using CAD like software to design. But if your only gaming I really don't see how the cost is worth it , unless your some rich bitch.( not directed at you). Look this flaming shit it over now, Nvidia and ATI both rock for what they do, were the ones that really benfit (depending on our needs), so there back to the subject. :eek:

Ok, I'm really annoyed now. Reinstalled all the latest video and chipset drivers. Dxdiag checks out ok and reset all the settings to default in the Catalyst control panel.

I ran the stress test in Counter Striker Source again, and still only managed 45fps. Again, this is running at 1280x1024, all settings maxed with 16x AA. This still seems low when you guys are saying you are getting up to 90fps.

What can this be. This is really driving me crazy.

digital_chaos said:
Ok, I'm really annoyed now. Reinstalled all the latest video and chipset drivers. Dxdiag checks out ok and reset all the settings to default in the Catalyst control panel.

I ran the stress test in Counter Striker Source again, and still only managed 45fps. Again, this is running at 1280x1024, all settings maxed with 16x AA. This still seems low when you guys are saying you are getting up to 90fps.

16xAA?!?

You serious? There's the problem, right there! 16xaa on ANYTHING is slow as snot crawling down a newbs back...

Sorry to add to the thread-hijacking, but people who are saying that SLI is the next best thing since sliced bread might be disappointed when they find out that they are going to need to shell out twice as much for a 30-40% increase. Sorry, but I have better things to spend money on then $700 dollars worth of video cards. Whatever floats your boat.

digital_chaos: Do you get equally bad performance for other games? And if so, is the line drawn between DX and OGL or not?

I got 105.89 FPS in CS: S stress test.. with everything maxed 6X AA, 8X AF , Resolution 1280 x 1024... (omega driver)

you think its good.. what do you think guys???

Talonz said:
Sorry to add to the thread-hijacking, but people who are saying that SLI is the next best thing since sliced bread might be disappointed when they find out that they are going to need to shell out twice as much for a 30-40% increase. Sorry, but I have better things to spend money on then $700 dollars worth of video cards. Whatever floats your boat.

digital_chaos: Do you get equally bad performance for other games? And if so, is the line drawn between DX and OGL or not?

um, DUH? :rolleyes: Voodoo2 SLI was the same way. People bought tons of them anyway.

digital_chaos said:
Sorry, 6AA, and 16AF. Tried going down to 8 and only boosted it 2fps. Something has to be wrong.

ok... What order are you installing the drivers in? What other programs are you running in the background? give us a running process list.

lopoetve said:
um, DUH? :rolleyes: Voodoo2 SLI was the same way. People bought tons of them anyway.

ok... What order are you installing the drivers in? What other programs are you running in the background? give us a running process list.

Ok , for the first comment, yea they bought the SLI voodoos cause they weren't as expensive as todays and the power consumption wasn't as high either, thats why ppl bought them like crazy.

Catsonar said:
Ok , for the first comment, yea they bought the SLI voodoos cause they weren't as expensive as todays and the power consumption wasn't as high either, thats why ppl bought them like crazy.

yeah there were still pretty damn expensive and the power consumption you have a point on but really isnt that big of a deal.

digital_chaos said:

Have you tried running the stress test without any other programs running in the background? Something is definitely eating up your performance. Also get ATITOOL and let us know what your temps are.

Catsonar said:

Oh yawn. Who cares? They were still $600, and power shouldn't be an issue (you got a good PSU right?)

IT DOESN'T BELONG IN THIS THREAD, though, no matter what. So GET IT OUT. Now lets solve this problem that digital_chaos has.

I may have found the problem. I need some opinions on this. When I first built the computer, I couldn't get the computer to get past POST.

I tried everything and eventually reseated the CPU and everything booted fine. I did notice that some of the thermal material looked to be scratched off. I don't think it bonded well if at all.

Last night I was tweaking and testing what I could. I ran some more Video Stress Tests in Counter Strike Source. Now this is the interesting part, I turned off all AA/AF and turned everything to the recommended settings. I still only got 44-46fps. Turning everything on max pulled in rougly the same FPS.

That tells me right there something is majorly wrong. I ended up rebooting before I went to bed and got a CPU Overheat warning. I looked at the temp and was floored to see it was 204F! 200#%! I'm suprised the thing didn't burn up.

I'm wondering, would a CPU running that dangerously hot be the cause of my low FPS problems? It makes sense, but I've never had experience in the matter. I've literally tried everything possible software wise.

I plan on buying a new heatsink and some thermal grease today but the only thing I'm worried about is if my cpu is already damaged.

So, after all that, opinions on if that is the root of my FPS problems and do you think the CPU is still ok? Thanks (igorning the SLI/flame war) :)

you might have heat issues then but i dont think thats the cause of the low performance. i got the same damn problem with CS:S and so do other people if you read the steampowered forums. i'm wondering if it's because i'm running windows 2000 with no updates installed for windows, but otherwise latest drivers and all that. are you running 2000 or XP?

AlexStenka said:
Don't you feel super smart? You can spell well and have great grammar

digital_chaos said:
I may have found the problem. I need some opinions on this. When I first built the computer, I couldn't get the computer to get past POST.

I tried everything and eventually reseated the CPU and everything booted fine. I did notice that some of the thermal material looked to be scratched off. I don't think it bonded well if at all.

Last night I was tweaking and testing what I could. I ran some more Video Stress Tests in Counter Strike Source. Now this is the interesting part, I turned off all AA/AF and turned everything to the recommended settings. I still only got 44-46fps. Turning everything on max pulled in rougly the same FPS.

That tells me right there something is majorly wrong. I ended up rebooting before I went to bed and got a CPU Overheat warning. I looked at the temp and was floored to see it was 204F! 200#%! I'm suprised the thing didn't burn up.

I'm wondering, would a CPU running that dangerously hot be the cause of my low FPS problems? It makes sense, but I've never had experience in the matter. I've literally tried everything possible software wise.

I plan on buying a new heatsink and some thermal grease today but the only thing I'm worried about is if my cpu is already damaged.

So, after all that, opinions on if that is the root of my FPS problems and do you think the CPU is still ok? Thanks (igorning the SLI/flame war) :)

Yep, you found it. Welcome to clock throttling. The P4 will do that as needed to keep the system safe. You can even pull off the HSF and it will be fine (although it will run at approx. the speed of a 486-33). The chip slows down, but will NOT take damage. It's designed for that.

Fix the heat problem, and watch your FPS soar :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html

Namely, http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/heatvideo-02.html

Jerry1978 said:
you might have heat issues then but i dont think thats the cause of the low performance. i got the same damn problem with CS:S and so do other people if you read the steampowered forums. i'm wondering if it's because i'm running windows 2000 with no updates installed for windows, but otherwise latest drivers and all that. are you running 2000 or XP?

Sorry, but wrong. And for the love of god, update that shit :p.
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html

That definetly gives me some hope. Thanks, lopoetve.

I just hope the CPU is ok, and from the Tom's HW article, sounds like it should be. Only thing that confuses me is the fact that they took the heat sink off and it was only running at 84F. With the heat sink on, mine reached 200. How is that possible. Hopefully not more issues...

Maybe a sensor is wonky and is scaling your CPU pre-maturely. The added pressure of the heatsink may also have something to do with it. A P4 shouldn't have temps like that.

the article is also from an old 2.0GHz p4. The old p4s that actually ran at a decent temp anyway. Definitely post back after resitting the heatsink.

Dillusion said:
are you like toms son, there ARE other sites besides his ;)
One of the few good things he did. It's solid proof, no way to fake a video like that :p

digital_chaos said:
That definetly gives me some hope. Thanks, lopoetve.

I just hope the CPU is ok, and from the Tom's HW article, sounds like it should be. Only thing that confuses me is the fact that they took the heat sink off and it was only running at 84F. With the heat sink on, mine reached 200. How is that possible. Hopefully not more issues...

Partial contact. They can get up there and then throttle back.

I had my Athlon64 at 212 recently, it's still fine.

Welp, the first problem I had with the PC was the seating of the CPU, so the heatsink is really making sense. I just bought some Arctic 5 and I hope thats gonna do the trick. Say if it doesn't, have any P4 heatsink recommendations?

If the heatsink/CPU isn't the issue, I'm really going to be upset. I just don't know what it could be at that point. I'd hate to have to ship the CPU and/or motherboard back. Here's hoping this works.

Back