Poor FPS in WoW with 8800

MrHuk

Limp Gawd
Just got myself an Nvidia 8800 GTS today and I was expecting a little more. I still get as little as 10 FPS in extreme crowded areas (LHC with 3 guilds waiting to go Naxx)

I'm running the game at 1024x res with 16x AF and 16x AF with all in game settings max. Maybe I'm just expecting too much as my other parts aren't as awesome the card. The rest of my system is AMD 65 3500+ and 1GB ram.

Also, when I load I get like black circles on the floor where people are and it takes like 5-10 seconds for them to load.

The rest of your system needs upgrading and no video card is going to alleviate zone loading.

more rams and a very fast cpu will make the crowded areas happier.

Well I'm out of money now, but I'll be able to get myself a top end monitor, cpu and ram around January so it's not so bad, it's not like it's horrible to play or anything, I guess I'm an ass for wanting so much :)

Was thinking of 2GB duel channel ram kit and an AMD X2 4600+, will those allow my card to shine? I hope so because that's about my budget I think, or I could sell some family members for slave labour or something :p

I run an atholon 3200+ with 2gigs kingston 3200 nothing flashy ram, and a BFG 6800gt and hit about 15-20 fps in IF. Running 1280X1024 with everything maxed out except glow effects. Roughly 30-35 fps in the broodlord's room in BWL with everyones AOE's and mobs etc... going off all over the screen. With the ram you said and the card you have you should be sitting pretty.

Xtreme^ said:
Just got myself an Nvidia 8800 GTS today and I was expecting a little more. I still get as little as 10 FPS in extreme crowded areas (LHC with 3 guilds waiting to go Naxx)

I'm running the game at 1024x res with 16x AF and 16x AF with all in game settings max. Maybe I'm just expecting too much as my other parts aren't as awesome the card. The rest of my system is AMD 65 3500+ and 1GB ram.

Also, when I load I get like black circles on the floor where people are and it takes like 5-10 seconds for them to load.

I'm pretty sure that's just a limitation of Blizzard's servers. I know plenty of people with computers that are beastly and when they enter a heavily populated area, especially cities, it can take seconds or sometimes minutes for everyone's character model to show up.

faster drives + bigger RAM + faster CPU + good low ping connection = fun in WoW.

xSnowmaNx said:
I'm pretty sure that's just a limitation of Blizzard's servers. I know plenty of people with computers that are beastly and when they enter a heavily populated area, especially cities, it can take seconds or sometimes minutes for everyone's character model to show up.
this is a different issue. when i first logged on in ironforge, not everything would show up right away, but i still was tapping 60 fps.

Wrench said:
I run an atholon 3200+ with 2gigs kingston 3200 nothing flashy ram, and a BFG 6800gt and hit about 15-20 fps in IF. Running 1280X1024 with everything maxed out except glow effects. Roughly 30-35 fps in the broodlord's room in BWL with everyones AOE's and mobs etc... going off all over the screen. With the ram you said and the card you have you should be sitting pretty.
with this system, except a x800 xt pe instead of the sli there, i got 60 out in the world, 40ish in the crowded areas of ironforge (bank to ah area, battlemasters area), and 50-60 in the instances (i think the naxx spider rushes it might have been lower, but as a healer i was busy with other things then)

Martyr said:
this is a different issue. when i first logged on in ironforge, not everything would show up right away, but i still was tapping 60 fps.
Yes i know. That is what im talking about.

I have a:
AMD X2 4200+
2gigs pc 3200
7600gt xfx xxx
x-fi xtreme music
7200rpm 250gig hd

I play on: 1280x1024, all settings maxed in game, 8s(ss)aa, 16xAF

usually hit 30-40fps in IF, usually do the dual core cap at 64.1 fps in the wildy, never goes below 30 ANYWHERE, 3meg internet......

something is obviously wrong if ure running 10fps in IF on ure system, although 1gig of ram is OK for WoW, 2gigs really makes it shine and a faster cpu will help

My inspiron never lagged until I upgraded to Vista. The zone loading you'll never fully get rid of. I have Optimum Boost with 30Mbps down and 2 meg up and its got a go 6800. I think my lag is due to non native Vista sound drivers but I haven't really looked too far into it yet.

Most MMOs have VERY poorly optimized engines. That usually means that they are heavily CPU dependent and they use a ton of ram. I'd have atleast 2GB.

OC your 3500+, mine is at 2.6ghz and it makes a big difference in FPS.

I used to have a P4 3.2 with 1GB ram and had the same problems.

Your best best is to get a very fast HD (Raptor) and 2GB of memory. That will basically fix your problem. If you want higher framerates and whatnot get a better CPU/Mobo.

My current setup doesnt slowdown at all and everything loads instantly almost.

Conroe 1.86
8800GTX
2GB Corsair
1 150gb Raptor
2407 Dell @ 1920x1200

I run WoW at 1920x1200 and have 16x AA, and 8x FSAA with no issue at all.

Back