Poor 8800GTS 320meg performance.

mxphreaky

n00b
I upgraded from a 7900GS to a 8800GTS and now in WoW my fps have gone from 40-60 to 30-40s and when i have it windowed it went from 30s to around 10 fps or less.

could this be my psu not supplying enough power ?

its an Antec SmartPower 2 500 watt

I upgraded from a 7900GS to a 8800GTS and now in WoW my fps have gone from 40-60 to 30-40s and when i have it windowed it went from 30s to around 10 fps or less.

could this be my psu not supplying enough power ?

its an Antec SmartPower 2 500 watt

Your power supply wattage is fine. You wouldn't see less fps with a weak PSU, but you would see crashes if it wasn't enough or if it was failing.

uninstall the drivers you got and user drivercleaner (or whatever its called) then reinstall.

Running the same card and I get 50-60fps with 16xAA and 16xAF. (unless I'm in Terokar) all those trees hurt performance bigtime.

I'm having a very similar issue with my 8800GTX. For some reason All Directx games perform worse than when I was using my 1900XT. OpenGL games perfrom as they should however. I've tried a fresh OS install and multiple drivers with no effect...

Q6600 G0
PNY 8800GTX 786
Asus P5B Premium
Team Xtreme 2GB 4-4-4-10
XFi-XtremeMusic
Raptor 76GB
600 Wt. Liberty PS
Vista64
Water-Cooled

Its a driver problem.. Use a program to remove your current drivers and reinstall the current ones.

Its a driver problem.. Use a program to remove your current drivers and reinstall the current ones.

I can't speak for the original poster, but it's certainly not in my case. I've performed a fresh install of Vista and loaded only the latest beta driver (Bioshock revision) without affecting the issue.

On my previous install I also tried drivercleaner, romving the device, deleting nv*.*, ect...No improvement.

Based on a quick google search for "slow 8800" I've found two possibilities:

1) Insufficient power. After speaking with vendor support, one user was told that if the 8800 series is underpowered it can revert to a "safe mode". This would knock performace down to 9800pro levels but the video card would "work"

2) For whatever reason your PCI express slot may be operating at 1x. Fire up CPUz and look at the mainboad tab to verify. If this is the case, up your PCI express frequency in bios to 100+ (105-109). Apparently this will up the slot to 16x. Doesn't make much sense to me but may be worth a shot.

i uninstalled the driver and put up the newest ones off of nvidias site and same fps.

ill have to check to see if its running in 16x when i get home, im pretty sure it is since my 7900 posted better fps.

Im just throwing this one out there, but if your running an SLI mobo try running your card in the other slot.

Its worth a shot.

You may be right about the power issue. Your psu is supposed to be up to spec but that doesn't always mean that it is. When I build a computer, I never skimp out on 2 things. The Motherboard and the PSU.

Use RivaTuner or ATI Tool to make sure the clocks are what they should be.

I had the Exact same problem , and ATI tools helped me a alot. with the rotating cube thing.

and it is a 100 % a driver problem , unless you have a weak CPU that also hurts the FPS.

i have an 939 opteron 175 OC to 2.4 ghz with a Zalman 9700. i loaded up BF2 and 2142 last night and dont seem to have a problem with fps with them but then agian they dont support widescreen.

I had the Exact same problem , and ATI tools helped me a alot. with the rotating cube thing.

and it is a 100 % a driver problem , unless you have a weak CPU that also hurts the FPS.

In that case, how did ATI tools help you, and how did you determine it was a driver issue?

Im just throwing this one out there, but if your running an SLI mobo try running your card in the other slot.

Its worth a shot.

That doesn't work anyway. When you have and SLI mobo and are only using 1 card, you have to use the "master" slot. SLI is a master/slave relationship.

zv

well i figured out the problem, i went to the WoW forums and found out that cool n' quite apparently affects frame rates so i went into my bios and found out it was on so i turned it off and am now posting 90fps and 60fps in max windowed.

i would like to thank you all for trying to help me with my problem.

Back