Pondering the power of a 1TF card.

Newb question, but what's a 1 terra flop video card mean? Couldn't get any good results on this from google.

Again, Cevat Yerli did NOT confirm anything

The 8800GT and new 8800GTS were both on a roadmap for mid Nov. release. When you reference the words "really, relaly good deals" - why would you ever use that to talk about a new GTX/Ultra?

The bigger issue is that the delay of a new high end *HAS* been hinted by many sources, including those in the industry, and those who probably have a pretty good grasp on whats going on (including editors here at [H])

The entire conversation was framed around the subject of Crysis.

Crysis was never ment to be released with the refresh mid-range cards (fast as they are).

You want us to assume with him being 'The Crysis Man' and all, that he ment all other Nvidias cards would be released in Nov, except the already promised 1TF Monster by Nvidia's marketing VP, ment to be sold with Crysis?

That's too big of a jump for me. He gave me conformation, or infurred it strongly, of the arrivial of the new King. Weather he ment to or not is up for debate.....

Shack: Do you have any insight to how well the upcoming range of cards will support Crysis, not just on the high end but lower down the ladder as well?

Cevat Yerli: Very, very well. Stay tuned for more on this. In mid November you will see the new NVidia cards. They are a blast for Crysis and really, really very good deals.

Oh Yeha, he's talking high end too.. ;)

To me, just because they are 'really very good deals' dosen't mean the Big Dog is on the out's.

I hope the Monster card is a really very good deal too, just like the midrange refreshes are!!

really? really. The only douche bag i see here is a troll who paid for a 64-bit copy of Vista Ultimate.

i know you are not calling me a douche bag, noobie. check forum rules about proper forum manners, especially for noobie status. what does my Vista have to do with anything? gosh these kids kill me.

In the high tech business, things promised get changed REALLY fast.

That may be true, but no one (including you) knows how things will change, or whether they are even changing.

At that time, the failure of the 2900XT was still unknown. Priorities change as well: the holiday season meant a killer mid-range card would mean tons of cash. A new high end makes no sense when your high end already rules the market.

High end is for bragging rights. It's hard to brag when the best of your best is choking on the hottest new game.
What would investors prefer? A new high end with few sales or a mid-range product with large number of sales, given that the market is clamoring for one?

Both? A high end that makes the company able to say "we crush every game" and "how it's meant to be played," and a midrange card to earn the big bucks. Since when are they limited to one card launches every 4 months?

I know that Nvidia is still first and foremost a business with investors who want increased revenues

Agreed, I however do not believe that stopping innovation to wait for the slow guy (ati) is a good way to increase revenues.

Thanks for the link. May the Terra-dactal GPU, with the biggest bite win!!

They better hurry though...

The first company to get a T-Card out of the gate with a decent review is going to get a flood of cash!

They have about 20 days I'm guessing... ;)

That may be true, but no one (including you) knows how things will change, or whether they are even changing.

High end is for bragging rights. It's hard to brag when the best of your best is choking on the hottest new game.

Both? A high end that makes the company able to say "we crush every game" and "how it's meant to be played," and a midrange card to earn the big bucks. Since when are they limited to one card launches every 4 months?

Agreed, I however do not believe that stopping innovation to wait for the slow guy (ati) is a good way to increase revenues.

High-end is largely for bragging rights. BTW I do know people in the industry, in fact, one can say I'm involved pretty deeply ;) And there isn't a whole lot to be said about the new high end, so either NVidia is keeping it very very tight-lipped outside of those actually working on it, or its not due for release soon

If you search through my posts, you'll know that I was one of the first people w/ info on the 8700GTS which eventually became the 8800GT. I found this stuff way back in September and even then, partners with Nvidia already knew that the G92 was going to be the 8700GTS/whatever designation for an upper mid-range card. I find it unlikely that with this supposed release so soon that no info would be out ;)

Anyways, priorities do change. Those working on the new high end might get shifted to the mid-range when the mid-range priority is greater. Same for delays in roadmaps. You have to be flexible to what your competitors are doing, esp. if there is only one competitor and they might have a trump card that you can't sit raound on.

TalonMan:

We'll seen soon enough. Yes, Cevat's quote doesn't rule out a high end, but with all the talk about the new 8800's replacing the older versions and being slotted as price/performance kings, I find it highly unlikely he's talking about a new high end.

Another kicker is this:

At the begging of this week, Nvidia invited a bunch of people to preview the 8800GT and essentially gave them a week to test it before the 10/29 NDA is lifted. A week's worth of time to play around with it. However, if rumors are that yields aren't that great and the 10/29 launch is more of a paper launch than a hard launch (along w/ the rumors that they don't have a huge quantity of cards on hand), it would make sense that the roadmap still has an official wide release as mid Nov. but Nvidia is trying to beat ATI to the punch before ATI gets to start marketing about the laurels of having a DX 10.1 compliant card, not to mention that its performance is yet to be seen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia has something up their sleeves, but given that many people "in the know" have said don't expect a new high end before this year is over, and that Nvidia's partners themselves aren't in the loop on the high end this late in the game, I'm not going to be hopeful.

I appreachiate your stance my friend, and you do make some good points, but I still think the smart money is on the T-Card in Nov. ;)

Thanks for the post.

From what Ive seen, The tesla platform (the Teraflop GPGPU project), was due to get this card before the rest of the graphics market does, because nvidia wants to start competing to get these cards into compute clusters in order to compete with the bigger fish (intel, AMD,ibm,sun etc). Would make sense for nvidia, Selling 1-2u servers with these cards producing 1teraflop for $10-20,000 a pop would be more of a turn around than selling to the public for $599, atleast at the start. Thats what I got out of these rumors anyways. Their is also rumors that nvidia is working out an external connection for the pciE bus in order to cluster them together for the tesla platform.

I don't know how nvidia is going to work all of that out, if they do work it out, they are in a whole different ballgame for them. But depending on how well they can get it together, it may mean that nvidia brings out the new chips for tesla first, Geforce second. Thats the only way I see any Teraflop card coming out this year. Nvidia needs to keep the investors happy, a successful tesla launch would do way more than pushing a high end GPU replacement for the top 2%.

Whatever tricks they needed to do to make it happen, they must have done successfully.

I do believe Cevat Yerli thinks the Big Dog card is out in Nov, right along with the others, and Crysis.

Weather they were able to hit the 1TF mark or not we will see....

I think the high end unit, whatever it is, will be out on the 15th or so.

From what Ive seen, The tesla platform (the Teraflop GPGPU project), was due to get this card before the rest of the graphics market does, because nvidia wants to start competing to get these cards into compute clusters in order to compete with the bigger fish (intel, AMD,ibm,sun etc). Would make sense for nvidia, Selling 1-2u servers with these cards producing 1teraflop for $10-20,000 a pop would be more of a turn around than selling to the public for $599, atleast at the start. Thats what I got out of these rumors anyways. Their is also rumors that nvidia is working out an external connection for the pciE bus in order to cluster them together for the tesla platform.

I don't know how nvidia is going to work all of that out, if they do work it out, they are in a whole different ballgame for them. But depending on how well they can get it together, it may mean that nvidia brings out the new chips for tesla first, Geforce second. Thats the only way I see any Teraflop card coming out this year. Nvidia needs to keep the investors happy, a successful tesla launch would do way more than pushing a high end GPU replacement for the top 2%.

Nvidia is also concerned at AMD and Intel squeezing them and hence the Tesla project is pretty important. Intel going into the discrete GPU market next year (lots of hype about it within intel about its performance) along with its already extremely successful CPU and Platform operations, as well as the advantage of having tons of cash for R&D and their own in-house fabs (and AMD has all these as well, just without the extra cash ;) ) means that they will have inherent advantages over Nvidia, who lacks fabs and may be behind on the R&D curve.

Not to mention that both AMD & Intel are trying to move towards the CPU + GPU integration on cores, which might shut Nvidia out. After all, AMD & Intel already dictate much of how Desktop platforms are to be developed, and both are trying to do combination platforms where GPU & CPU are already built in to the platform. Nvidia knows that and hence they have a lot of concerns on what to do for the future beyond GPUs. Otherwise this job openings list I have from them wouldn't cover a lot of that ;)

Whatever tricks they needed to do to make it happen, they must have done successfully.

I do believe Cevat Yerli thinks the Big Dog card is out in Nov, right along with the others.

Weather they were able to hit the 1TB mark or not we will see....

I think the high end unit, whatever it is, will be out on the 15th or so.

Its three weeks or so from now that we'll know. Now if only virtual bets mean anything...

But my bet is that if we look back 2 weeks ago before the 10/29 release of the 8800GT and the amount of info on that card vs. the 3 weeks in the future launch of the 1TF card, my bet would be no 1TF card.

After all, within a month of the 8800GTX release, we already had confirmation a big one was coming - we just didn't know how big. This time around, we don't even know if something is coming.

I would love to have a new single card cause my monitor screams for more power, but, I'm definitely not holdin' my breath

I would not be surprised to see Nvidia with thier own cpu design withing the next 3 years

High-end is largely for bragging rights. BTW I do know people in the industry, in fact, one can say I'm involved pretty deeply ;) And there isn't a whole lot to be said about the new high end, so either NVidia is keeping it very very tight-lipped outside of those actually working on it, or its not due for release soon

If you search through my posts, you'll know that I was one of the first people w/ info on the 8700GTS which eventually became the 8800GT. I found this stuff way back in September and even then, partners with Nvidia already knew that the G92 was going to be the 8700GTS/whatever designation for an upper mid-range card. I find it unlikely that with this supposed release so soon that no info would be out ;)

Anyways, priorities do change. Those working on the new high end might get shifted to the mid-range when the mid-range priority is greater. Same for delays in roadmaps. You have to be flexible to what your competitors are doing, esp. if there is only one competitor and they might have a trump card that you can't sit raound on.

TalonMan:

We'll seen soon enough. Yes, Cevat's quote doesn't rule out a high end, but with all the talk about the new 8800's replacing the older versions and being slotted as price/performance kings, I find it highly unlikely he's talking about a new high end.

Another kicker is this:

At the begging of this week, Nvidia invited a bunch of people to preview the 8800GT and essentially gave them a week to test it before the 10/29 NDA is lifted. A week's worth of time to play around with it. However, if rumors are that yields aren't that great and the 10/29 launch is more of a paper launch than a hard launch (along w/ the rumors that they don't have a huge quantity of cards on hand), it would make sense that the roadmap still has an official wide release as mid Nov. but Nvidia is trying to beat ATI to the punch before ATI gets to start marketing about the laurels of having a DX 10.1 compliant card, not to mention that its performance is yet to be seen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia has something up their sleeves, but given that many people "in the know" have said don't expect a new high end before this year is over, and that Nvidia's partners themselves aren't in the loop on the high end this late in the game, I'm not going to be hopeful.

High end is for bragging rights - exactly - if their high end can't play the newest hottest game at superdupermega high quality, what are they going to brag about? Being faster than your competitor is important, but that is not the only factor for "bragging rights."

I searched through your posts, and noted that the sept. 8700 post was you quoting a VR zone article.. Maybe I missed something, and I apologize if I did, but that doesn't seem like you're as steeped in the industry as you allude to. Particularily when it comes to knowing what nvidia is planning to do next.

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to know what nvidia is going to do next - I have just read those arguments a few thousand times before, and never really agreed with them. I'm glad I voiced my opinion to you though, as you seem to be reasonable and amply capable of structuring arguments for support. Cheers!

I would not be surprised to see Nvidia with thier own cpu design withing the next 3 years

I don't think CPU design is what they're going to head towards but given they already have chipset experience for Intel and AMD CPU's, they certainly have the ability to create more integrated platforms

High end is for bragging rights - exactly - if their high end can't play the newest hottest game at superdupermega high quality, what are they going to brag about? Being faster than your competitor is important, but that is not the only factor for "bragging rights."

I searched through your posts, and noted that the sept. 8700 post was you quoting a VR zone article.. Maybe I missed something, and I apologize if I did, but that doesn't seem like you're as steeped in the industry as you allude to. Particularily when it comes to knowing what nvidia is planning to do next.

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to know what nvidia is going to do next - I have just read those arguments a few thousand times before, and never really agreed with them. I'm glad I voiced my opinion to you though, as you seem to be reasonable and amply capable of structuring arguments for support. Cheers!

Yeah sorry the 8700GTS post was made back in XS forums I think. I post in too many forums :p But yes, I work in the industry and have sources in companies from mobo makes like Gigabyte, Foxconn, etc. (both also partner with Nvidia on cards) to dedicated partners like XFX (it helps having all these companies have divisions/headquarters within 10 miles of my house) and a lot of nights out drinking in places where there people hang out :D

Bragging rights are indeed important, but I think that if the priorities were get a mid-range card out first before the holiday season, when a hyped up game demands a mid-range priced card, then that card takes precedence over development of a new high end.

Keep in mind all this info on the 8800GT came out around the time the RV670 surfaced with all the hype around it. Nvidia wasn't one to stick around and let ATI get a free lunch in a market they wanted.

Also, if the G92 core is being used in the 8800GT *and* the high-end, then it would lead more credence to having the high end held back as its likely the team involved on the G92 would focus on tweaking and pushing out one product first because a strict deadline is given.

There was a rumor floating around from a Chinese review of the 8800GT saying that yields were at 5% for the 8800GT. Don't know exactly what they're talking about, but if its true and they're having problems with certain yields on the G92, then it makes sense to push out this new die-shrink before a high end. After all, Nvidia has traditionally pushed out a die-shrink before a new high-end using the same process. Great way to work out kinks and bugs without adversely affecting the flagship.

But that also leads credence to people saying the 10/29 launch won't be in super huge quantities until closer to mid November. Also, I just saw a picture of an ATITool artifact test on a stock 8800GT and that sucker ran up to 95 degrees C! I guess those rumors that Nvidia contacted partners to check their thermal solutions was true: the higher clocks really stress the single slot solution hard.

I think ATI's 3850 being a single slot and 3870 being dual slot for increased clocks might be a smart move after all.

i know you are not calling me a douche bag, noobie. check forum rules about proper forum manners, especially for noobie status. what does my Vista have to do with anything? gosh these kids kill me.

Maybe you should refresh yourself on those forum manners, eh? ;)

Let's get this thread back on topic, all I want to know is very simple, NDA or not what the fukk is coming out from nVidia that is faster than the 8800Ultra ??

I read that nVidia told it board members a few months ago to expect a 1TF VideoCard by them before the end of the year, and the 8800series reaches 1 year old next year, so it is time for the next generation already, not just some 8800GT. And I also thought Crysis was going to be strongly advertised as needing a 9800GTX to play in all it glory

I believe that to be 100% correct.

I believe the unit, I like to call the 'The T-Card' (for lack of figuring out nVidia's naming convention)(Terraflop, Tesla?, Terradactyl) will be DirectX 10.1 too.

I believe Crysis was ment to be released with the T-Card, and have heard no other info indicating that the plan had been changed.

Time to see if Cevat Yerli really knows when his company is releasing their product.

Time to see if "In mid November you will see the new NVidia cards." is an accurate statement, and wasen't magically excluding the High End card, while still talking about Crysis.

Time to see if VP Michael Hara really knew what nVidia could pull off in shere animal speed (1TF), in the timeframe that he named Nov of 2007, during the May conference call.

If Crysis is out in Nov, so is our new baby, the T-Card. I think they go hand in hand.

And yes it's still true, to my knowledge, we have yet to see 1 single link posted indicating Nvidia had a bad production issue, that knocked them off their game.

I'm telling you things are looking good my friends.... ;)

I myself am ready to kiss the new Kings feet!

The wise man, should start to pucker now. The King probably won't come cheep.

Dwell on the thought of a Nov 1TF animal in your system for a moment in say about 20 days..... Man that feels good !!! :) :) :)

One other question:

Don't you think that if some event happened, that was big enouigh to delay the release of the 1TF card, and move Crysis clean off of it, and onto the midrange refresh cards, we would have heard a scrap of info on it?

Cevat Yerli thinks Crysis will be out in Nov.

On this fact alone, dosen't that sway some of you boys to jump from the dark side?

I mean, if you didn't think the high-end part was going to be out this year, you couldn't have been expecting a Nov release of Crysis then could you?

The demo is running quite poorly on my system... I hope there's something wrong lol...

The demo is running quite poorly on my system... I hope there's something wrong lol...

There is your running an out of date one year old VideoCard ya need the 9800GTX 1gb version = avaialble same day as Crysis release

ya need the 9800GTX 1gb version = avaialble same day as Crysis release

I think me and you buddy, are the only ones who have figured it out.... :)

When do you think the dark side will see the light, and choke out that the big dog will be released in Nov? :)

One other question:

Don't you think that if some event happened, that was big enouigh to delay the release of the 1TF card, and move Crysis clean off of it, and onto the midrange refresh cards, we would have heard a scrap of info on it?

Cevat Yerli thinks Crysis will be out in Nov.

On this fact alone, dosen't that sway some of you boys to jump from the dark side?

I mean, if you didn't think the high-end part was going to be out this year, you couldn't have been expecting a Nov release of Crysis then could you?
please don't tell me you are basing facts off this dumbass? He may think it will be out in November, but I have an inside source that is telling me it will be out th 16th of november. :rolleyes:

I am sure NVidia will be releasing a new card when it is ready, it probably won't be soon seeing as the 8800GT has just been released, but we can all hope.

Cevat Yerli thinks Crysis will be out in mid November.

We think the 1TF card will be out on Nov too with Crysis.

Most users on the board are holding their position that no new 1TF GPU this year.

A few of us are expecting a mid Nov release of the 1TF GPU.

There is your running an out of date one year old VideoCard ya need the 9800GTX 1gb version = avaialble same day as Crysis release

LOL...

Well now I got it running pretty smooth on high and I'm happy, however I sure would like to run it on very high with 4xAA with the lowest of 60FPS... :D:D:D at 2560x1600!!!!!111one

We can dream can't we? :p

The Crysis demo is the best possible advertisement for whatever next gen t-rex card Nvidia comes out with...Perfect ad:

1)No cost
2)It self targets the enthusiast market
3)It shows us just how much we "need" the next gen card...kind of wipes the smile off our faces...(They make sure sli is not enabled so even those enthusiasts are saying to themselves, "Maybe time to upgrade.")

Heres to hoping that next gen part is for real...Cheers!

And...Nvidia marketing..you can bite me for making me wait and speculate even at the 11th hour. (I'm still gonna buy your next card.)

Does this confirm we gave a 'NEW' GTX that is at least 20% faster than the 'NEW' GT in our near future?

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/showthread.php?t=4190

PCGH:
Will the G80 chip continue to be used only in the highest-end cards, e.g. GTX and Ultra?

Nvidia:
Yes, absolutely. GTX is more than 20% faster than the 8800 GT at 25x16 4xAA.

He might be talming New GT is 20% slower than the GTX and Ultra? Not sue...

The GT is looking better than a GTX when used in pairs.... for the same price.

Link

FEAR was always an excellent example of what SLI can do...unfortunately is one of the only examples. What happens in FEAR is not present in other games, in fact its not present in most with SLI.

Does this confirm we gave a 'NEW' GTX that is at least 20% faster than the 'NEW' GT in our near future?

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/showthread.php?t=4190

PCGH:
Will the G80 chip continue to be used only in the highest-end cards, e.g. GTX and Ultra?

Nvidia:
Yes, absolutely. GTX is more than 20% faster than the 8800 GT at 25x16 4xAA.

He might be talming New GT is 20% slower than the GTX and Ultra? Not sue...

No, your're reading what isn't there.

The question posed was is the G80, not G92 chip, going to be continued to be used only in the highest end cards, such as the GTX and Ultra, which already use the G80 of course.

And he says yes, the GTX is 20% faster than the 8800GT at 2560 x 1600 resolution and 4xAA. Look at the 2560 x 1600 review of the 8800GT SLI vs. 8800GTX and you'll know that SLI is what puts the 8800GT above the GTX (albeit barely), but single card vs. single card and the GTX still has a considerable lead.

Besides, if you really think about it, it would make no sense to use a superior chip (G92) and then make a new high end with the old chip (G80) so yes, he's saying to the question saker that the current G80 GTX and Ultra is 20% faster than the 8800GT at those resolutions and settings.

Of course, 4xAA tends to require a lot more memory, and in some games, the 768MB on the GTX/Ultra is more significant than 640 on the GTS even (Flight Sim X comes to mind)

I am sure NVidia will be releasing a new card when it is ready
It's is ready right now, but releasing it right now would only hurt the sales of their current line.

The development cycles on GPUs are a lot longer than it seems. It's tempting to believe that nVidia and ATi are in this frantic battle like some sports match where the tides turn rapidly and they have to adapt. I'm not "in the know" but I've read that, for the most part, GPUs are designed well in advance. I imagine that G100 and R800 have been designed and are being tested by now. Manufacturing issues (such as low yeilds) were the reason R600 was so badly delayed, it's not that they saw the G80 and thought, "Oh crap, let's start over!"

It's been a year since G80 launched. G80 has a lot of disabled shaders, and I think that was due to thermal issues. So there had been an impetus to create a more power-efficient G80-type core (read:G92) since before the 8 series was launched. Surely the 8800GT was ready to launch a while ago, just waiting for a Holiday release. So what have they been doing since then? The 9 series flagship is ready for manufacture, and nVidia is just waiting for a good reason to release it. That's not evil, just good business.

If I'm out to lunch on this, please show me.

FEAR was always an excellent example of what SLI can do...unfortunately is one of the only examples. What happens in FEAR is not present in other games, in fact its not present in most with SLI.

Yeah, that wasn't the point. How about BioShock...

lots of examples on both of my links, you should click through. too bad SLI doesn't work yet with Crysis.

What happens in fear is not present in _any_ other game, if you want to continue your little game of semantics.

It's is ready right now, but releasing it right now would only hurt the sales of their current line.

The development cycles on GPUs are a lot longer than it seems. It's tempting to believe that nVidia and ATi are in this frantic battle like some sports match where the tides turn rapidly and they have to adapt. I'm not "in the know" but I've read that, for the most part, GPUs are designed well in advance. I imagine that G100 and R800 have been designed and are being tested by now. Manufacturing issues (such as low yeilds) were the reason R600 was so badly delayed, it's not that they saw the G80 and thought, "Oh crap, let's start over!"

It's been a year since G80 launched. G80 has a lot of disabled shaders, and I think that was due to thermal issues. So there had been an impetus to create a more power-efficient G80-type core (read:G92) since before the 8 series was launched. Surely the 8800GT was ready to launch a while ago, just waiting for a Holiday release. So what have they been doing since then? The 9 series flagship is ready for manufacture, and nVidia is just waiting for a good reason to release it. That's not evil, just good business.

If I'm out to lunch on this, please show me.

Yes you're pretty much spot on. IIRC development of G80 began before G70 even hit retail. Nvidia and ATI have different teams working on different projects and so G92 was in the works probably soon after G80 was released and the next gen GPU (whatever designation it is) is likely already well in the works as well.

In fact, RV670 and R680 were supposedly at work before R600 was even released, as they knew it would be pretty poor performer and so they had refresh's already on the way. R700 is due to be released not too long after R680 and is supposed to be a new architecture/series for ATI again.

GPU's are immensely complex processors, given that they have some ridiculous transistor counts (700+ million for the G92 alone) and when you think about it, they have more transistors than CPU's

EDIT: I will note though that doesn't mean the new gen card has been sent to fabs for preliminary results. NVidia actually has their own super computer cluster built to simulate cards in real time without the need for actual fabrication. Sending things to fab is a pretty good way to get a leak out about a new product...

Yeah, that wasn't the point. How about BioShock...

lots of examples on both of my links, you should click through. too bad SLI doesn't work yet with Crysis.

What happens in fear is not present in _any_ other game, if you want to continue your little game of semantics.

If i was playing a little game of semantics i would have asked you where the SLI benches in Vista are.

If i was playing a little game of semantics i would have asked you where the SLI benches in Vista are.

How about here.

i would _LOVE_ to sit here and keep doing your work for you, but I have better things to do.

PSST! (page 6)

Back