[Poll] Wich OS do you run your fileserver on?

Henrytxin

n00b
Just was wondering if building a new one on win 2k , some flavour of linux, posibly Debian, FreeBSD, or some dedicated distro as FreeNAS or so.

So, what did you choose and why?

I used Debian for my fileserver/router box. EVMS makes software raid easy, shorewall makes routing easy, and I know how to work with it. apt-get is wonderful; you need a package, you get it. I'd stay away from Gentoo for this, it's too much time investment for not enough payoff.

I like freebsd as I've found it to be a much better server than linux. It is alot more stable in my experiences, other may vary though.

defakto said:
I like freebsd as I've found it to be a much better server than linux. It is alot more stable in my experiences, other may vary though.
QFT.
Linux for workstation play, but when it comes down to it you can't beat *BSD's stability

What do you guys mean by "stability"? All I know is when I plug my computer in, it works until I unplug it (plus a few minutes for UPS). I can't see how *BSD can do any better than that. However, that does bring up a good point - if I didn't know what I was doing with Linux (e.g. 1999*) I'd have the whole thing down in ten minutes. So go with what you know, lest you screw it up :p

* Note to self: Do not use root partition as swap. Bad Idea. Long Story.

Run mine on xp pro, shared jbod drive with a map networked drive on the other computers. Does the job.

I think Ill go with Debian , wich is my best known option,

But I'll give BSD a try on a test machine, to see if I can handle it easily and then migrate the RAID to it.

Thaks all

David

unhappy_mage said:
What do you guys mean by "stability"? All I know is when I plug my computer in, it works until I unplug it (plus a few minutes for UPS). I can't see how *BSD can do any better than that. However, that does bring up a good point - if I didn't know what I was doing with Linux (e.g. 1999*) I'd have the whole thing down in ten minutes. So go with what you know, lest you screw it up :p

* Note to self: Do not use root partition as swap. Bad Idea. Long Story.

When I say stability what I mean with freebsd is that I've run into less issues with memory problems, less softwar conflicting and causing wierd things to happen and in general it's a very forgiving operating system when tweaking it. I've crashed linux boxes on several occasions with normal use on my file server. My freebsd box has been running stable without any issues, aside from some third party softwar problems i've found and a bad piece of hardware(which is still in it) that i've put some work arounds for.

FreeBSD hands down for server duty. Performance and stability that's unbeatable.

Server 2003 R2 for Shadow Copy, File Screening and the new DFS changes.
I've been having a bunch of fun with it :)

I'm using Windows XP here at home.

Works great. No need for anything more robust.

Back