poll: who uses IDE and who uses SATA optical drives?

do you use IDE or SATA optical drives?

• SATA

Votes: 82 69.5%
  • IDE

Votes: 36 30.5%

• Total voters
Both. There's no "both" option in that poll. :(

My opty system has 2 IDE controllers, each with its own DVD drive. I have 4 HDDs, and I can rip two discs simultaneously and without affecting performance. :D for some reason, I havent put two optical drives on either of my new systems, so I'm not sure if performance is the same, lol, but both of my new systems use SATA optical drives.

id prefer sata but most dvd burners are still ide, but now that blu ray is out ill have all sata drives.

I use both depending on what i'm working on. Most of the time the computers weren't built with sata drives in the A's, 370,423, 478's, and 754's. Have to go with what the customers have.

server IDE, laptop SATA, have a sata optical lying around in the spare case. voted SATA. :shrug: Who wants to fuck with IDE at this point?

I haven't used an IDE optical drive in years. Basically the first SATA burner on the market was the Plextor 712SA and I got that one just so I could ditch the ribbon cables. I've never gone back. I refuse to have that crap in my machine. It was never for performance reasons but rather just because the SATA cables are cleaner and easier to work with.

Now you should ditch IDE optical drives for performance reasons. Many motherboards now don't support IDE ports via the chipset and rely on the JMicron controller for PATA support. For those of you who don't know the performance of legacy IDE on the JMicron controller is terrible. Not to mention it is plagued with compatibility issues.

I have 1 X Sata and 1 x IDE in my box. Voted Sata because its the better drive.

I started using SATA the day they were available only because of ease of use and cable management.

I use my IDE just cause I havent bought a drive in awhile, but I agree SATA for cable managemet.

I was attempting my main rigs first set of cable managment in about 12 months on the weekend and the ribbon cable bugged me so much that i went out and bought a pioneer SATA optical drive. :)

You forgot USB external. Clean case interior FTW, especially since I use optical maybe once or twice a month.

I have an IDE dvd-burner with a rounded cable because I use all 6 of my SATA ports for my hard drives.

My Lite-On IDE DVDRW drive is starting to act up. It takes several pushes of the eject button before the tray ejects and the drive also seems slower than before (discs usually don't spin at full speed, data transfers just pause for no reason at all for a minute and so on).. basically I think it's about to die after many years of service.

Are there any drawbacks to SATA drives? Like compatibility issues with copy protection schemes, cd-audio ripping etc? What about installing older OS's like XP from DOS, or installing Linux distro's? I'm using rounded IDE cables and they're not in the path of the airflow, so that's not an issue. My mobo has got one IDE connector (so max 2 IDE drives) and six SATA connectors so I've got enough connectors for either type.

IDE Benq DW1640. Great quality burns but I really need to dye the white faceplate someday.

hehe well since no one else has mentioned it, i have SCSI opticals in my file server. Awesome multitaskers for rip/burn!!
But for cable mgt... ugh epic fail.

I've simplified all four of my systems to using one single drive, which is SATA. I don't even bother with dual drives anymore.

You forgot USB external. Clean case interior FTW, especially since I use optical maybe once or twice a month.

I'd rather fill my computer up with components than have external crap all over the room or all over the desk. I like a nice clean setup with things out of sight when possible.

I've simplified all four of my systems to using one single drive, which is SATA. I don't even bother with dual drives anymore.

So is that a single driver per system, or one drive for all four of your systems? :p

i just use a single ide cable for my dvd burner...still awaiting the day ide goes away on motherboards so i can upgrade it to sata lol

It has gone away, in some sense, on most boards. It's just an after thought now, and isn't even part of the core chipset, which has caused some issues in the past. With SATA drives going for $20-$25, there's no reason not to go SATA.

SATA FTMFW. Bought a Sata DVD burner for my new SFF setup and finally said goodbye to IDE forever. So much easier to manage cables.

i voted IDE as the majority of my builds use old DVDrw and CD RW drives myu newest has sata tho however i feel my server will always use IDE to give the extra couple of Sata ports

When I did my new build this past year I went and bought all new DVD drivers, and have already upgraded one to a Blu-ray drive, so I am all SATA.

Back