Poll: Which motherboard manufacturer are you loyal to?

Which manufacturer?

• Asus

Votes: 56 37.1%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • MSI

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • ASRock

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • EVGA

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Varies

Votes: 31 20.5%
  • I Hope Corsair comes out with a Motherboard line soon.

Votes: 12 7.9%

• Total voters
Gigabyte has been very good to me over the years. I used to buy a lot of Asus and Tyan but Gigabyte floats my boat very nicely.

If DFI came back to high end desk top mother boards I would buy one. :)

Last edited:
loyal to...

well, none really. but i've had more Gigabyte boards over the years than any others listed so they get my vote.

I don't see DFI.

They left enthusiast mother boards a few years ago and now sell industrial/commercial mother boards.

Would be great if they made a come back.

I have bought ASUS products, ECS both suck ass. Nothing but issues with both. Gigabyte has given me no problems. Asus lost my laptop when it was sent in, then tried to deny it after they sent me a letter saying they lost it.

Asrock, not always feature rich but, every Asrock board I've ever owned has been stable and hassle free. That being said I sure miss Soltek!

I used to buy strictly MSI boards, but I purchased a Gigabyte this go around and honestly I will probably buy Gigabyte until something better comes a lot. I love this board, never given me an ounce of trouble.

Honestly I always thought it was the model over the brand. I'll buy any of the top manufacturers if they bring some feature packed boards, great reviews, AND some fair warranties on their products.

My loyalty is to me!

For motherboards: ZERO loyalty (so I guess that mean varies) and it has served me well.
I buy a board about once every 1.5 years and I buy based on a few criteria:

-Does the company have QC problems?
-Does the company have a decent rep and are not full of bs?
-Does the board I am buying get good reviews?
-Does it suit my purpose?

this stuff tends to change after 1.5 years and the companies are not doing me favors by letting me buy their boards. I would be a fool to buy based on the past and not on the present. Servers are a different story. Bought from the following:

ASUS
MSI
ASRock (Asus)
Intel <--only board I bought blind because it was the only one with chipset....got burned. H67 anyone?
EliteGroup
Supermicro

loyal to...

well, none really. but i've had more Gigabyte boards over the years than any others listed so they get my vote.

+1

Since ABIT went under almost exclusively Gigabyte boards. But just got an EVGA the other day and its doing just fine. Gigabytes been very nice for me but its a little silly to be completely loyal to a brand though. Things change and you have to be willing to change with them. You mention Corsair making MOBOs, I would watch that very closely if they did, and I hope EVGA gets a little more polished because their customer service rocks, even if their MOBO's can be problematic at times. Even ASUS could be great for me if they improved their customer service, they have some very good MOBO with lots of cool features, but I am afraid if anything goes wrong I will have to deal with that RMA nightmare.

Anyway, I voted Gigabyte because I use them more than anything else.

Been using Gigabyte motherboards since 2001 and I almost exclusively buy from them. Have tried others like XFX, ASUS and Asrock but always go back to Gigabyte for some reason. Guess I got used to them.

not loyal to any of them.. i go with what ever is the best motherboard when i'm looking for one, i don't care if its asus, gigabyte, asrock, biostar, etc, etc.

Intel! Intel! Intel!

:)

They are the only brand I'll get these days. I am not big in to overclocking, and their stability is just unmatched in my experience. They also have features I appreciate like the ability to update the BIOS from Windows (which some other manufacturers are finally getting) and such.

Plus they are good for if problems happen. Their setup for recovery BIOS flashing, and their general BIOS flashing procedure, makes it near impossible to brick a board, which I've done with other vendors. Also in the event you need an RMA, they do a good job whereas I've had some REAL bad experience with other vendors (ASUS I'm looking at you).

So for me it is all Intel, all the time these days.

i can say this i am never buying another asrock mb ever. my x79 rig kept randomly locking up and was having post issues, so i rma it (pain in the ass) got a new mb back after 2 weeks and it ran for about a month and now this board is having problems to where 1/2 my sata ports stopped working and it is unstable to. asrock tuned me down for another rma. and my wifes amd rig has a asrock mb and its starting to have issues after about a year.

I've been using EVGA motherboards in my last two systems (and my current one). Before that I used boards from Intel.

Asus. I've been using them exclusively since my Abit IC-7 Max3 was my last Abit board. I've probably had 10 of their boards and have had issues with two. One I took back and got swapped out at Microcenter and the other I had to deal with the poor Asus RMA process, but luckily it was for a spare system not my main rig so it worked out okay. For the vast majority of my Asus boards, they have done extremely well. I'm still using one board right now that's at least 5 or 6 years old in my HTPC with no issues.

I REALLY want to be loyal to Asus... and while I cannot completely give them up, I'll say they're the most on the fence for me.

This sabertooth x79 I have here is a beaut of a mobo, but its BIOS isn't the most intuitive for OCing and all the included software has NEVER been able to install on Windows for me. No one's been able to figure out a solution either... this really saddens me because I wanted to be able to control my fan speeds through it... now I must rely on ghetto molex modding (and screw paying money for a hideous failure-prone fan controller).

I built a rig for a friend based around a used Asus X58 board and that felt equally nice in the hands, and the included software for that was simpler and actually installed properly. Only quirk with that board is that it can't detect the PWM cpu fan included with a CM 212+ for some reason... so it just runs at max speed. That fan isn't actually that noisy so it works out.

Handled a DFI mini-itx board for my dad's rig... absolutely gotta be one of the worst I've ever messed with. It's a nice looking package, but the BIOS is super flaky and randomly resets/locks itself. It's compatibility with USB devices is also very hit and miss... it's like it can't deliver enough power to them or something. Tried 3 different wireless adapters and none of them would work with that mobo... all 3 worked on other rigs. Other power hungry devices also struggle. Other then that, it runs fine and is functional... but don't plan on doing much more with that. I'm happy DFI is out of the race.

Previous board I had in my Dad's rig was a G31 Gigabyte board, and it was a decent fellow! Cheap, but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that mobo. I am completely ready to buy a high-end Gigabyte board in 4-9 years from now... whenever I upgrade.

I had an Abit P35 board before my current mobo. That's also one of my top fav motherboards. BIOS made OCing a snap, was able to control 3pin fans speed via the BIOS! Only board ever I've seen that. Never had any probs with that company... wish they were still around.

Friend's previous mobo was a cheap MSI nvidia 650i (I didn't pick this board out) and it was functional for him. I don't see why I'd buy an MSI over a Asus or Gigabyte...

I've used multiple cheap ASRock and Biostar boards before... they'er cheap and reliable, nothing more to say there. Never played with an eVGA board but they look pretty decent. Intel boards are solid, but cost a little more and have an ugly BIOS boot screen--wouldn't ever want one in a main rig. Tried a cheap ECS board once... it was absolute crap.

Have one supermicro rig rocking right now... very pleased with them! Very good maker. But I think Tyan and Asus do a decent job in the server space too (haven't tried em yet)... but I'd still lean towards supermicro.

Damn I never realized how many brands I've tried! :eek:

Abit for me was hands down #1, sad to see them go. The Abit P35Pro was one of the best lines ever, I had three system running those boards, as did both my brothers, rock fucking solid stable as granite.

Now it's a roll of the dice, Asus used to be my #2, after Abit, but Asus seems hit or miss lately, so Intel stock is good too, and Gigabyte too.

Ive bought probably more asrock boards then anything else -- for their price and feature set - but lately ive been having some issues rethink my choice.

Going forward I am leaning towards gigabyte then asus

I used to buy strictly MSI boards, but I purchased a Gigabyte this go around and honestly I will probably buy Gigabyte until something better comes a lot. I love this board, never given me an ounce of trouble.

Those are the two vendors that I have used the most. I started with Gigabyte and recently picked up an MSI and was pretty happy with that, so I bought another.

I'm surprised that gigabyte has as many votes as they do. I usually never hear people recommend them as their first / favorite vendor. I liked the couple of boards I have from them and they are still working flawlessly to this day. One is an althon XP board (socket A) and the other is an Althon X2 (socket 939).

I've always liked ASUS in the past, but my recent MSI experience has been terrific. Even though it was cheaper, it feels a lot more sturdy and well constructed.
Not sure if I'm "loyal" to MSI as a result, but I'd certainly put them pretty close to the top of my list for future builds.

I really like Asrock MB's, but will buy other brands as well.

I've had my run with Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, MSI, but really varies

For all my personal builds I stick with ASUS. Never let me down and they run 24/7 with no issues. My A7N8X-e deluxe has been shorted out, dropped, got wet one time somehow, among other things, and is still going strong. At the old job we used primarly MSI, wasn't a huge fan of those, but they did pretty good.

Wait, I have no clue about this tidbit, is this with all Asus boards or just some?

Most, maybe all. Asus has had REALLY poor BIOS support anyway, like on their X58 boards that were on a VERY OLD Intel Matrix RAID Option ROM for AGES. It was so old that it did not have proper support for SSDs whatsoever, as you want 8.7+ for SSDs. I was using OROM 10.6 on my Gigabyte X58 board by the time Asus finally fixed some of their X58 boards to support OROMs above 64KB. That 64KB limit they had (that Gigabyte and other brands did NOT have) prevented updating the OROM past 8.5, which was total fail.

They also discontinue support for their boards way too early. I have a P8P67 Pro. They owe me features. Namely a newer OROM so I can have SSD RAID-0 with TRIM support, but at least I can mod that on my own. The other thing is VT-D. They claim P67 doesn't support that, but other boards like from Asrock and EVGA using the chipset do support VT-D, so not only are Asus asses for not giving us the feature, they also straight out lie to us about it. As far as I am aware, their Z68 and P77 stuff doesn't support VT-d, either.

So, like I said before, F U Asus. And a lesser F U to Gigabyte for also not providing VT-d support, and for my Gigabyte Z68 board that had totally broken multiplier selection (if you tried to set the 4-core multiplier at all, it would reset all 4 of them to default value, and yes I had the latest BIOS). Oh, and a big F U to Intel for not allowing VT-d on their K series chips, as well. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
I prefer Asus due in no small part to HardOCP. They just violate and outright abuse the motherboards they test and Asus usually seems to get the most Gold awards. Any brand that can survive [H]'s gauntlet and come out usually all Gold, well then they'd certainly hold up for me.

Something about MSI makes me want to try them. Can't put my finger on it tho.

None. For my own PCs I like either Gigabyte or ASUS. For servers I go with Intel or Supermicro.

I use only Asrock since socket939 days and will keep doing so as long as they offer me the best bang for buck. And since i am not hardcore overclocker, i only care about features, stability and BIOS support for new CPUs and Asrock delivers on these fields regularly.

Back