Poll: Which motherboard has the best UEFI menu?

Which motherboard company has the best / easiest to understand / comprehensive UEFI GUI menu ?

• 1. Asus

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • 2. Gigabyte

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • 3. ASRock

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • 4. MSI

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • 5. EVGA

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 6. Biostar

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Peat Moss

Gawd
If you've worked on mobos from different manufacturers over the last few years, which UEFI menu do you prefer?

I've worked with just about everyone's UEFI's over the years. There is no question, that ASUS has the best UEFI menus. That said, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing necessarily. It's also fair to say that ASRock's is pretty much just as good because they practically copied ASUS' layout. There are individual aspects of other UEFI implementations that are better than ASUS', but I think ASUS has the most user friendly interface.

ASRock belong to ASUS, in theory the cost effective range of products.
I ve never use UEFI before, but I did read something attractive to me, that Gigabyte software loves the look and feeling of Win7.
Since P4C800-E Deluxe, I was blindly trust ASUS, it might worth now a new wind of change.

ASRock belong to ASUS, in theory the cost effective range of products.
I ve never use UEFI before, but I did read something attractive to me, that Gigabyte software loves the look and feeling of Win7.
Since P4C800-E Deluxe, I was blindly trust ASUS, it might worth now a new wind of change.
No, that's a common misconception. ASRock was started by ASUS, but spun off in 2002 as Pegatron which is the parent company of ASRock. They are in no way related today.

No, that's a common misconception. ASRock was started by ASUS, but spun off in 2002 as Pegatron which is the parent company of ASRock. They are in no way related today.
Yesterday I was looking products of both brands, product design of 2015, they were mirror image.
If ASUS was considering ASRock as foreign body, they would had take it head at the courthouse.

Yesterday I was looking products of both brands, product design of 2015, they were mirror image.
If ASUS was considering ASRock as foreign body, they would had take it head at the courthouse.
Sorry, but no. ASUS and Pegatron began separation in 2009. It maintained 25% stake in Pegatron which it reduced to under 20% in 2013. This means that ASUS has zero control over ASRock and Pegatron. More data supporting this can be found here and here. Pegatron was the QDM for ASUS and ASUS' goal was to cut ties with Pegatron. So while they were once the same company, they've not been for about a decade now. What you see as similarities around 2015 is simply a result of that shared lineage. UEFI implementations, including the interface we've all come to know from ASUS occurred back when the companies were still related somewhat, with Pegatron being the actual manufacturer of ASUS' products.

Keep in mind, these are NOT US based companies. ASUS USA is for distribution, not design. These things are designed in Tapei. It's also a smaller world than you think with some personnel that used to work for one company or another now working at the competition. In a sense, there is some inbreeding there but again, ASRock and ASUS share a lineage even if its diverged a bit now. Another thing you have to understand is how that business works which is a complex topic on its own. But the fact is, they all buy each others products and reverse engineer them. They all copy each other and none of them sue each other over it. Just because it would happen in American companies doesn't mean they'll do it. Furthermore, when it comes to something like the UEFI, it could look exactly the same to you and I but so long as it differs slightly, they can get away with it and that's what ASRock has done.

It's sort of the same reason why companies can put Punisher skulls on AR-15 parts and not get sued into oblivion by Disney. It's how you can find unofficial sports jerseys and off brand merchandise with super hero branding. Disney and Warner Brothers can't do a damn thing about it. I also happen to know that Disney and Marvel are well aware that it goes on.

Interesting that the Asus and ASRock GUIs look similar, and the Gigabyte and MSI GUIs look similar.

To my eyes, the Gigabyte seems a little easier to read, with the text layout being a bit more spaced out and clearer.

Which do you prefer aesthetically?

I usually end up spending slightly more money just for the Asus bios, although in fairness, I can work my way through just about anyone's bios these days. If I'm building for someone else, I don't care what it has, but my own personal computers more often then not are Asus based.

More often than not I've used ASUS motherboards in my builds, but in fairness, I have used GIGABYTE, MSI and Intel boards as well. I used ABIT and other brands back in the day too.

Interesting that the Asus and ASRock GUIs look similar, and the Gigabyte and MSI GUIs look similar.

To my eyes, the Gigabyte seems a little easier to read, with the text layout being a bit more spaced out and clearer.

Which do you prefer aesthetically?

Maybe some of those vendors outsource BIOS development to a third-party company?

Asrock's bios menus for the 11 series intel boards was pretty bad. Typos, descriptions which aren't exactly clear, and QR codes which imply that they lead to more information. but....they actually just lead to the same minimal info in the bios.

Asus has tons of options and often has features which others do not. However, I don't care for the layout once you really start drilling down into sub-features, etc.

I'm using a Gigabyte Z690i right now and I like the menu quite a bit, even if its not as feature rich as Asus. It seems to compartmentalize things a bit better. And the descriptions are quite good for many things. Their fan tuning is also more useful.

Asus has the best (imho) and easiest to follow. MSIs are powerful, but a pain in the ass to figure out where things are till you're quite used to a particular implementation (although basics are SUPER easy to find). Gigabyte is in between - Aorus products are easier, Designare ... less so, especially on HEDT (I can't stand the bios on my x299 Designare 10G).

Only had ASRock server boards - that's old school UEFI.

Maybe this is because i primarily build AMD rigs, but i HATE asus. Such overpriced garbage. The settings in bios have horrible labels, or like the 'above 4g decode' on first gen ryzen, just dont work at all.

Maybe this is because i primarily build AMD rigs, but i HATE asus. Such overpriced garbage. The settings in bios have horrible labels, or like the 'above 4g decode' on first gen ryzen, just dont work at all.
I'd agree somewhat. Option labels on AMD boards are rather unusual on ASUS boards and I don't care for it.

Peat Moss;​

Great job on the videos!!

I have a 6 year old Gigabyte AMD based MB and it's terrible especially for the boot screens. Confusing and overly complicated with the dual entries (hard to explain).

Are there any specific BIOS/UEFI guides (newer, not written in 2007) out there that actually explain what all the various BIOS options and settings actually do? Sure, "boot order," "peripheral on/off" toggles and fan alarms are somewhat obvious but when I see, "second-stage, PCI-E pre-charge, flash trigger x_64 legacy support" or some other crazy non-nonsensical setting I'm left scratching my head.

Also looking for: usually/ALWAYS change/set these options and for the love of god, NEVER touch these settings advice.

The Chinese expect you to already know all of that based on every manual I have ever read in the past 20+ years.

I own 2-3 X470/X570 boards from Gigabyte/ASUS/MSI/ASRock. Gigabyte and ASUS hands-down are the best; ASRock and MSI I always walk away thinking I would never use these for my main rig, did they just google translate everything and shipped it?

I own 2-3 X470/X570 boards from Gigabyte/ASUS/MSI/ASRock. Gigabyte and ASUS hands-down are the best; ASRock and MSI I always walk away thinking I would never use these for my main rig, did they just google translate everything and shipped it?
One reason why I have always used ASUS motherboards for like 20+ years now, despite their lousy RMA and repair service.

Are there any specific BIOS/UEFI guides (newer, not written in 2007) out there that actually explain what all the various BIOS options and settings actually do? Sure, "boot order," "peripheral on/off" toggles and fan alarms are somewhat obvious but when I see, "second-stage, PCI-E pre-charge, flash trigger x_64 legacy support" or some other crazy non-nonsensical setting I'm left scratching my head.

Also looking for: usually/ALWAYS change/set these options and for the love of god, NEVER touch these settings advice.
Not really. The fact is, most of the time you won't have to adjust all that many of the values to achieve the most of out your CPU. It's not until you go for a bleeding edge overclock on custom water or take it up to LN2 that you can really benefit from some settings. I do a lot of overclocking on custom water and even then, the vast majority of systems do not benefit from manipulating most settings.

vCore, Load-line calibration and memory settings. That's about it. There are some things that are specific to AMD or Intel CPU's and specific platforms but largely, its basically the same for everything. You also don't really get a whole lot out of these CPU's. For the most part, you can only get an all core overclock that's either below or matches the rated boost clocks. You can go with specific core overclocking, but its painstaking and rarely results in any significant benefits. A lot of people just undervolt their CPU's which leads to better temperatures which lets the CPU remain at its boost clocks for longer. There is some luck of the draw where that's concerned.

Back