Poll: What version of Windows 10 do you use?

What version of Windows 10 do you use?

• Home

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Pro

Votes: 57 71.3%
  • Enterprise

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Education

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters

craigdt

[H]ard|Gawd
Simple question: which version do you use?

Sorry to the folks that don't use Windows 10- I hope you don't feel left out...

For 90% of people, home is all you need.

I use pro because I like to manage my server remotely.

Education because that's what the license I got was for and it at let me turn off some of the dumb stuff I'd never use like Cortana.

Education because that's what the license I got was for and it at let me turn off some of the dumb stuff I'd never use like Cortana.

Here's a question for you- do you know if I get an educational version, can it be used on 2 machines? And once you aren't enrolled in that school anymore, does the OS stop working?

Here's a question for you- do you know if I get an educational version, can it be used on 2 machines? And once you aren't enrolled in that school anymore, does the OS stop working?

Not sure about multiple machines on same license as I have never tried. As far as enrollment, in my case it kept working just fine.

I'm running Pro, and I bought my copy full retail. The issue with home is that it's even more limited in relation to the updater and no GPO than even the other versions of Windows 10. Furthermore, isn't there a new version of Windows 10 on the horizon? 10 for workstations or some such rubbish?

There was meant to be less versions than Windows 7, looks like there's going to be roughly the same amount.

I've been using Windows 7 Pro keys to install Windows 10 on my computer. I have purchased several from members here, and have a few others. Actually cheaper for me to run Pro than Home!

You left out the completely free version... :D

I actually have an old laptop that I installed the Insider's preview on when it was first available. It has continued to receive updates and be activated, so I guess I got a free version of Windows 10 on it!

Enterprise because my work laptop got rebuilt a month or so ago (help with spotting app issues before mass deployment)

Ironically due to this I use windows 10 more than Linux even though 4 machines at home are Linux and I oversee a ubuntu box at work

Pro - need to RDP into macine + turn off auto updates (don't want to deal with workarounds for these that future updates could break)

I actually have an old laptop that I installed the Insider's preview on when it was first available. It has continued to receive updates and be activated, so I guess I got a free version of Windows 10 on it!

I have 3 gaming boxes and one VM like this. The insiders got granted a free license.

You can still get Windows 10 free (as an upgrade on top of Windows 7 or 8/8.1) just by grabbing the Accessibility based installer - there's no telling when they'll pull that option forever but, as of the time I'm making this post that's still the option.

Of course, that's if someone absolutely must have Windows 10 on their hardware, which of course is a terrible horrible foul disgusting thing. :p

PRO because there is no life without the group policy editor, imagine all the crap that I couldn't disable or change without it. W10 is already borderline unbearable with a ton of shit dialled back or entirely disabled. And I'm pretty sure whenever I decide to do a full reinstall I'm going back to 7, DX12 be damned.

You can still get Windows 10 free (as an upgrade on top of Windows 7 or 8/8.1) just by grabbing the Accessibility based installer - there's no telling when they'll pull that option forever but, as of the time I'm making this post that's still the option.

Of course, that's if someone absolutely must have Windows 10 on their hardware, which of course is a terrible horrible foul disgusting thing. :p

I'm talking about a fresh install to a newly built computer. No existing license at all. Free as beer.

10 Pro. I need rdp and the ability to add my computers to my domain.

I still like 7 Pro and would use it if it wasn't such a complete nightmare trying to install it on an nvme m.2 ssd. That and the constant fight of trying to keep the system updated on an OS that blocks them, and has its days officially numbered anyways.

I'd be on Linux if the games I played had official support or even the ability to be played with wine. Until then it's 10 pro.

When I say I'm using Pro, should I include the fact that it's slowly being degraded to 'Home' despite what I paid for?

I'm talking about a fresh install to a newly built computer. No existing license at all. Free as beer.

That whole "free as in beer" thing is ridiculous 'cause I ain't never been nowhere beer is free so. :D

In that respect Windows 10 was never free then, because it was only offered without cost as an upgrade on top of Windows 7 or 8/8.1, and the Insider Preview builds were not the full finished product so they don't technically count in that respect either.

Since I bought my current business class laptop from someone off craigslist I never paid a penny for the Windows 10 license which I don't even give a shit about using so, yeah, that was free I suppose. :p

No smokin', no drinkin', no drugs... and no stinkin' Windows 10 either... computers and electronics are the only 'drugs' I find acceptable so, there goes that idea. ;)

I'm Australian, apparently I bathe in Fosters Lager.

....Even though I've never had Fosters Lager and believe it tastes like ass. ;)

That whole "free as in beer" thing is ridiculous 'cause I ain't never been nowhere beer is free so. :D

In that respect Windows 10 was never free then, because it was only offered without cost as an upgrade on top of Windows 7 or 8/8.1, and the Insider Preview builds were not the full finished product so they don't technically count in that respect either.

Since I bought my current business class laptop from someone off craigslist I never paid a penny for the Windows 10 license which I don't even give a shit about using so, yeah, that was free I suppose. :p

For me (and I believe many others) got a chance to install the insider preview as a fresh install, no previous OS. After the preview period we got upgraded to a full Pro. All of the previews are now full pro and still working. I even reinstalled one of the boxes successfully.

All of the above, at one time or another. Running Pro and Enterprise at the moment. I'm a Microsoft MVP with a free MSDN subscription so I can run just about any version I want at any time. I only ever run Home for testing purposes. Pro is my preferred Edition.

Always run the Pro skus so that you can enable Software Restrictions and protect the PC. Sad many don't know how to and rely on 3rd party tools that don't make the system safe.

Remember kids:
Directories that you can write to (copy file into) should not be marked as executable!

Always run the Pro skus so that you can enable Software Restrictions and protect the PC. Sad many don't know how to and rely on 3rd party tools that don't make the system safe.

Remember kids:
Directories that you can write to (copy file into) should not be marked as executable!

If only windows had an easy way to set 666.

Couldn't resist. :)

Windows 10 Pro here on 3 different computers. Work one is 24 /7 stable, NAS one is 24 / 7 stable, home / gaming one is fully stable but I turn it off when I am not using it.

I use Pro at work in the hope I can downgrade legally to 7 if need be and also to join domains.
If I can't do this with the Pro I have, I will stab myself in the butt with a fork.

Surface Pro 3: Pro
Laptop: Pro
Desktop: Pro (was Enterprise, but the latest tech previews don't allow you to install those without a KMS, so as soon as I did a clean install my system could not activate)

Remember kids:

I hope it's just a bug and not another attempt by MS to forcefeed their apps on to the user, but the Insider Preview build I'm on breaks the app policy - it doesn't allow you to block certain apps that Microsoft forces onto the user machines (Twitter, Facebook, CandyCrush, Minecraft) .. you can block them, but they ignore it. These are the apps that Microsoft automatically ties to your Microsoft account and doesn't allow you to disable them. They've also made these apps exempt from the "Allow Windows to suggest applications" option and disabled the other RegHack you could use to block them. Their feedback hub is full of a lot of CandyCrush complaints.

Currently only way to prevent them from installing after a reboot is to disable Store updates for all apps.

I hope it's just a bug and not another attempt by MS to forcefeed their apps on to the user, but the Insider Preview build I'm on breaks the app policy - it doesn't allow you to block certain apps that Microsoft forces onto the user machines (Twitter, Facebook, CandyCrush, Minecraft) .. you can block them, but they ignore it. These are the apps that Microsoft automatically ties to your Microsoft account and doesn't allow you to disable them. They've also made these apps exempt from the "Allow Windows to suggest applications" option and disabled the other RegHack you could use to block them. Their feedback hub is full of a lot of CandyCrush complaints.

Currently only way to prevent them from installing after a reboot is to disable Store updates for all apps.

That is scary... not that MS forcing a developer preview build to not shut off access to the stuff they want to test. From that point of view I get their point... they want you to test that stuff. So I could give them the benefit of the doubt and say they will change that when it goes live.

IMO however what is scary as hell is that MS has a method clearly of making windows ignore such things. Which means one more MS created attack vector. MS really really doesn't get security. If I was inclined I now know... what to look for and reverse how MS made it happen.

That is scary... not that MS forcing a developer preview build to not shut off access to the stuff they want to test. From that point of view I get their point... they want you to test that stuff. So I could give them the benefit of the doubt and say they will change that when it goes live.

IMO however what is scary as hell is that MS has a method clearly of making windows ignore such things. Which means one more MS created attack vector. MS really really doesn't get security. If I was inclined I now know... what to look for and reverse how MS made it happen.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a dev-build thing. I just checked and these 4 apps even ignore the workaround of turning off the Store Updates now. They reinstall upon reboot.

That's four methods they've blocked to prevent these apps from not being installed. I shouldn't have to write a script to uninstall this crapware upon boot-up.

1) Disable Suggested Apps --> Ignored now.
2) Disable apps via reghack (cloudcontent) --> Patched to ignore it.
3) Disable apps via AppLocker (secpol.msc) policy --> Apps ignore them, install anyways and can be run.
4) Disable apps from installing by turning off Windows Store Automatic Updates --> Apps ignore them and update anyways.

Between home and work all of the choices.

Although at home I may pay the $10 to get upgraded from Home to Education since I sometimes could use remote desktop (server) on the laptop so I can from work (or on vacation) remote back into the laptop..

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a dev-build thing.

That is a bit of insanity. Hopefully it is just a dev thing. Still there will be people comparing the dev files to the live files if so... Looking for the MS baked security holes. It really makes me wonder who is in charge of security policy around that place.

Back