Poll: What do you think so far of next-gen graphics?

What do you think of next-gen graphics?

• Absolutely amazing and a step up in every way!

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Pretty dang good. Definite improvement but not Earth shattering.

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • Meh...Passable but nothing I would consider truly "next-gen".

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • Horrible. Totally disgusted and disappointed.

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters
Well, I had to rewatch the "road to PS4" to be sure... but yea now after watching it again I guess they aren't trying to "hamper" dev teams, just give them deeper features that will take time to really utilize fully... http://youtu.be/JJW5OKbh0WA?t=40m30s

anyways, I was cranky this morning, I'm frickin excited that time to triangle is back to PS1 days... that'll help overall I think

I think they look great, and the physics and interaction between objects really makes it better. May not be top of the line as far as PC's go, but for a cheaper console, they are great. Compared to the 360/PS3, for sure.

Looks great coming from ps3/360 but if you game on PC you spoiled the surprise for yourself so you won't really be impressed. I'm excited to see what ND can do with the PS4.

Looks great coming from ps3/360 but if you game on PC you spoiled the surprise for yourself so you won't really be impressed. I'm excited to see what ND can do with the PS4.

"next gen" games will be impressive even to PC gamers. and that's because of the dramatic improvement in game assets. It's true that PS4 specs are only comparable to a "midrange" gaming PC, but it's not like games right now are totally stressing GPUs. They really aren't even close to it. and that's because most games are developed to be playable on a budget. If you look at steam hardware surveys, most gamers are usually a generation or two behind, with their videocards.

But in the past 9 months we've had huge price drops on GPUs and several releases in the mid and low midrange that have made a lot of power available for $150 or less. and now PS4 has a GPU in it that is roughly equivalent to a $200-$250 DX11 class GPU. So, cross platform games are going to get a huge kick and PC exclusives can also reach higher, due to the lower cost/performance. Both consoles will also be stressing multi-threading, due to CPUs with relatively weak per core performance, but 8 of those cores to spread out the load. So we should finally see many games properly supporting 4+ threads. See: more cores will actually matter. (leading me to wonder if Phenom II X6 and the 6 and 8 core bulldozer/piledrivers may be on the verge of a heyday). We may also start seeing more 64 bit games.

Last edited:

Naughty Dog is the #1 developer that has me SUPER STOKED about next-gen...I mean, look at The Last of Us! Holy Hell...I can't even imagine what ND will be able to do with next-gen...

Only thing is that I hope the do a new Uncharted or TLoU...not something like Epic is doing with their first Unreal 4 game that doesn't even look to show off the engine.

ND usually does something new every generation with their last game for each being something different;

Crash 1-3
Crash Team Racing

Jak and Daxterthe 1-3
Jak and Daxter Combat Racing

Uncharted 1-3
The Last of Us

Personally I would like to see both a new Uncharted and TLoU. Whatever they do I'm hoping they keep their track record clean and unblemished.

I'd like to see some of the team head up a PS Vita game just to see what they are capable of with limit hardware.

unti I see one actually playing a game its hard to say just how good the graphics will be.

I'm going to hold on to my cash and wait to see more stuff before I jump the gun. I don't see enough to make me want to drop the cash. Sad thing is I've got $450 burning a hole in my pocket right now.

There are enough games coming out this year still that can easily hold me over until this time next year

You won't know for a long time look at FFXIII/TLoU on the PS3.

You have to usually wait 3-4 years.

NES-SB3 (5 years?)
SNES-DKC (3 years)
Saturn-Panzer Dragoon Saga (3 years)
PS1-GT2 (4 years)

But BF4 should be a decent benchmark if it runs @ 1080p on the PS4 imo.

ND usually does something new every generation with their last game for each being something different;

Crash 1-3
Crash Team Racing

Jak and Daxterthe 1-3
Jak and Daxter Combat Racing

Uncharted 1-3
The Last of Us

Personally I would like to see both a new Uncharted and TLoU. Whatever they do I'm hoping they keep their track record clean and unblemished.

I'd like to see some of the team head up a PS Vita game just to see what they are capable of with limit hardware.

Until they do a JRPG I could care less about NG.

Not saying their games are bad...they only make action games which I don't like. This is the entire trend of the console as of late.

Fighting, jrpg, and Party games were the only reason I played console in the old days....Those reasons virtually didn't exist last generation. Likely to be just as true if not more true with this generation.

Until they do a JRPG I could care less about NG.

Not saying their games are bad...they only make action games which I don't like. This is the entire trend of the console as of late.

Fighting, jrpg, and Party games were the only reason I played console in the old days....Those reasons virtually didn't exist last generation. Likely to be just as true if not more true with this generation.

Well the PS3 didn't have many party games but everything else it had covered. I think Buzz might have been the only games I liked with a group of people and that really is not a party game heh.

Well the PS3 didn't have many party games but everything else it had covered. I think Buzz might have been the only games I liked with a group of people and that really is not a party game heh.

PS3 did not have JRPG's covered and Street fighter 4 went to PC so I got my fight fix there. PS3 had less than 10% the RPG content the PS1 or PS2 had.....and it was all lower quality shit as well. So Far Lost Odyssey has been the best JRPG for that generation and it isn't much to brag home about. Still need to play Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch but I'm not expecting it to be better than Lost Odyssey.

for non action based games PS3 and Xbox360 dropped the ball BIG TIME....for me anyways.

Back