Poll: Upgrade to Windows 11 in 4Q 2021?

Will you upgrade to Windows 11 4Q 2021?

• Yes, already have or will do so very soon

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Not yet, waiting for OS to mature (patches, etc)

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Not planning to update from Windows 10

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

biggles

2[H]4U
Just curious what people's plans are regarding the Windows 11 upgrade. I have a desktop and laptop, both compatible with the new OS. But I wonder if it would be best to wait for more patches before taking the plunge. On the laptop Windows update is listing the 11 update as optional install.

Why not take a different route? Install a spare SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 11 on that SSD so you can try it for yourself on your own hardware. If you don't like it, then just switch back to your old SSD. If you don't have a spare SSD, you can get a 256GB SSD on eBay for like $20 these days.

I've been running it since beta. It was smooth sailing all through beta. The only real issue has been the AMD L3 cache / CPPC performance regression, which has now been fully resolved as of yesterday.

I use quick launch and small icons, never combine, show full title on the taskbar. And I'm not going to compromise on that. So I guess tpm remains turned off for me. Lest they decide the upgrade is no longer optional.

none o f my hardware is compatible, and they broke the start menu even worse than it was in Windows 8, and I have no desire to run Bitlocker on anything I own (so why the sudden push for consumers to take-up TPM 2.0?).

If I ignore this one just like Windows 8, there will be under 10% uptake ( and thus a similar panicked flurry of changes.)

Enterprise users have ten years to transition to this mess (but they are choosing to fuck-over consumers with only 4 years remaining support (so this is my only option - PROTEST!)

Last edited:
I went ahead and installed it. I like the look of the OS and my only serious gripe is not being able to drag files to the browser icon on my taskbar. I suppose I could probably install one of those Start Menu mods if I wanted to. It was free, easy, and my hardware supported it. I figure it's probably not going anywhere, so I might as well get used to things. Even it it tanks, Microsoft won't admit defeat for years.

Almost installed it last weekend, but common sense prevailed. My system runs quite well, so no need to tempt fate. I'm sure I'll install it sometime in 2022.

Why not take a different route? Install a spare SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 11 on that SSD so you can try it for yourself on your own hardware. If you don't like it, then just switch back to your old SSD. If you don't have a spare SSD, you can get a 256GB SSD on eBay for like $20 these days.

I've been running it since beta. It was smooth sailing all through beta. The only real issue has been the AMD L3 cache / CPPC performance regression, which has now been fully resolved as of yesterday.
I did this when Windows 10 first came out at retail and I ended up sticking with 8.1 for almost an entire year. I'm probably going to wait about that long this time around to install W11. No need to rush. W11 doesn't offer anything new at this point that W10 doesn't. Android app support is the major feature I'm waiting for.

All of my hardware (including 3 family laptops) is all set with Win11. All that's left is a VM.

Android app support is the major feature I'm waiting for.
I look forward to testing out Android games that aren't available on any other platform.

Last edited:
I will probably go with 11 next yr when the first big update comes out for it. Hope its still free by then cant afford much nowadays

I too have some hardware that is incompatible. I find it interesting that an I7-4790k isn't good enough. Then there is the whole tp thing you'd need.

I'm curious, but also really apprehensive.

I formatted and went back to windows 10. Steam link wasn't working on 11 and the task bar being fixed in place doesn't work for me while running an oled.
Next build ill most likely go for more than 8 cores and 32gb ram and maybe an amd card for single card vm passthrough and run linux and just spool windows up for games and solidworks.

I find it interesting that an I7-4790k isn't good enough.

Don't let artificial requirements cause you to start thinking that your older perfectly capable hardware is somehow deficient. It isn't. Bypassing the requirements is trivial. For most people an i7-4790k would still be a great CPU, even for gaming in many cases. Most of the computers that I have Windows 11 on at this point are older than that. I certainly have not had any issues with Windows 11 on my 5820k which shares the same Haswell architecture as your 4790k.

the task bar being fixed in place doesn't work for me while running an oled.

What do you mean by "fixed in place"? What functionality are you looking for? Auto-hide still works, if it's burn-in that you are concerned about. You can still adjust the icons to the left (similar to Windows 10) if you don't like them in the center.

Last edited:
Don't let artificial requirements cause you start thinking that your older perfectly capable hardware is somehow deficient. It isn't. Bypassing the requirements is trivial. For most people a I7-4790k would still be a great CPU, even for gaming in many cases. Most of the computers that I have Windows 11 on at this point are older than that. I certainly have not had any issues with Windows 11 on my 5820k which shares the same Haswell architecture as your 4790k.

exactly why I find it interesting. That thing is like Meg Ryan.

But how much screwing around is it going to take to get working on a 4790k? While capable, it isnt "supported" and then the mobo doesnt have tpm, so you need another piece.

I have other machines that are "compliant" that I'd do first...but I also ran XP past the support date, so I'm stuck in my ways.

But how much screwing around is it going to take to get working on a 4790k? While capable, it isnt "supported" and then the mobo doesnt have tpm, so you need another piece.

There are so many different ways that you can bypass the requirements, and many of them are very easy. The easiest way I've found is to extract a Windows 10 ISO and a Windows 11 ISO into different folders. Copy the large "install.wim" file out of the "sources" folder of the Windows 11 install files and paste it into the "sources" folder of the Windows 10 install files (replacing the "install.wim" file that is already there). Then run the setup.exe from the Windows 10 install folder. By doing this, you are basically installing Windows 11 using the Windows 10 installer and bypassing all Windows 11 specific requirements in the process. This is possible because Windows 10 and Windows 11 are so similar under the hood that it literally doesn't matter. The Installer even begins saying "Installing Windows 10" but when it's done, you'll have Windows 11 on your computer. Most of my older computers were installed using this method. It's easiest for me because I can then keep those install files on a USB thumb drive or network drive and use those same files to upgrade as many computers as I want without making any extra modification each time. Other methods involve using the command prompt during the install process, etc, and you have to do it again every time you do an install. In contrast, I don't think it gets much easier than simply copying and pasting one single file from one folder to another.

I wouldn't get hung up on whether your hardware is officially "supported" or not. Consider, what does "support" even mean? It's not like MS is going to help you with your computer problems regardless of your hardware being "supported" or not. There are no issues with Windows Updates, as it's already been shown that updates are not being withheld from any systems. I've also yet to come across any situation, on any computer, where I'm prevented from doing anything due to not having a TPM module.

Now there are still legitimate reasons to not want to be an early-adopter of a new OS, but if you want to run Windows 11, you should not let the artificial requirements be the thing that stands in your way IMO.

Don't let artificial requirements cause you to start thinking that your older perfectly capable hardware is somehow deficient. It isn't. Bypassing the requirements is trivial. For most people an i7-4790k would still be a great CPU, even for gaming in many cases. Most of the computers that I have Windows 11 on at this point are older than that. I certainly have not had any issues with Windows 11 on my 5820k which shares the same Haswell architecture as your 4790k.

What do you mean by "fixed in place"? What functionality are you looking for? Auto-hide still works, if it's burn-in that you are concerned about. You can still adjust the icons to the left (similar to Windows 10) if you don't like them in the center.
Right now I have my oled set as the primary display, then I unlock the task bar and drag it to my side monitor. You can't do that in windows 11.
I worked around it by setting the side monitor as primary and turned off the task bar on the oled, but would have to switch the oled back to primary to play a game... it was annoying.
Auto hide annoys me and it leaves a line at the bottom of the screen.

I just want these hip young ui designers to get off my lawn.

Right now I have my oled set as the primary display, then I unlock the task bar and drag it to my side monitor. You can't do that in windows 11.
I worked around it by setting the side monitor as primary and turned off the task bar on the oled, but would have to switch the oled back to primary to play a game... it was annoying.
Auto hide annoys me and it leaves a line at the bottom of the screen.

I just want these hip young ui designers to get off my lawn.
I managed to burn in an image on a regular old LCD lol. I would never dare to get an OLED for a computer monitor. I just got the 49" Samsung G9 at 5120x1440@240hz.

I managed to burn in an image on a regular old LCD lol. I would never dare to get an OLED for a computer monitor. I just got the 49" Samsung G9 at 5120x1440@240hz.
It’s been pretty good to me. A year in and 2k hours. I just turn the oled light down if I’m not gaming or watching a movie on it. A guy on the forum is at 7k hours already.

It’s been pretty good to me. A year in and 2k hours. I just turn the oled light down if I’m not gaming or watching a movie on it. A guy on the forum is at 7k hours already.
Oled is unbeatable on the contrast, my next tv will be an OLED for sure.

Pulled the trigger and upgraded to 11 on my new 5600x build, no issues whatsoever. I do miss quick launch on the taskbar but I'm fine with the other UI changes.

Back