Poll: The new iOS 7 look. Like/dislike it?

What do you think of the new iOS 7 Look.

• Love it: More likely to buy an iOS device.

Votes: 32 20.8%
  • Like it: But it won't change much.

Votes: 41 26.6%
  • Still in the middle.

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Don't like it. But it won't change much.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • Hate it: Less likely to buy an iOS device.

Votes: 35 22.7%

• Total voters

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Some people were clamoring for a visual change and now it is here. So what do you think of the new looks (not functionality)?

IOS_6.0_home_screen.png
shared_controlcenter_keyframe-e1370899966613.jpg

Last edited:
The general art style will take some getting used (especially the drastically different icon designs). Other than that, it doesn't seem all that different than iOS6 on the surface.

I do look forward to the quick settings pane though. It seems like Apple took alot inspiration from some of the most popular cydia tweaks when designing iOS7. I think it's a good design so far.. Ive seems to be taking things in a better direction than forstall.

I'd like it if they actually picked some better colors. Although the Photos and Game Center icons are atrocious no matter what tint you go with!

Colors look a bit too bright for my tastes. But I'll give it a try, I always like something new.

It looks like a cheap Android theme to me, but I like the feature adds. I think it is funny as most of the features I have seen so far are more carry overs from the JB community, with a little Apple polish (since they can actually implement the features into base functionality/workflow more fluently).

Agreed, reminds me a lot of Android and Windows. Kinda kills the Apple 'think different'.

Honestly, I LIKE skeumorphic design.

Agreed, reminds me a lot of Android and Windows. Kinda kills the Apple 'think different'.

The huge problem with skeumorphic design is that as the thing that it references becomes more and more digital, the point of reference gets lost. I know that Jobs was big into leather in his skeumorphic designs, but when is the last time anyone has seen a desktop calendar with leather on it? Or a leather bound note book? Skeumorphism makes sense at the beginning but it gets lost in time, like "I Love Lucy" or "Gilligan's Island" references.

The icons look horrid but the apps themselves look good. It will be a good solid base for my jailbreak. It is nice to see a lot of my core tweaks integrated but they are still not as robust as their jailbreak counter parts. Also plenty of tweaks I still need to implement.

Same here. Flat design really seems like a trendy fad where everyone jumped on the bandwagon, so it is getting harder to escape.

Icons have moved from works of art to flat/boring/monochrome versions of the same image, or total abstract nonsense, like the game center icon, which is just some colored circles.

A disturbing thing in the applications and interface is the extensive use of translucency. I hated that effect when it was big a couple of years ago, but it was optional. I suspect with Apple you are stuck with this lame effect. Talk about a pointless visual effect that serves no purpose.

Looks shockingly different, but give me a day or two using it, and I will adjust rather quick.

I definitely like the direction they're going with most of iOS 7 and I like the new flat design and the actual apps but some of the main app icons are bad and the colors are somewhat girly.

Half the app icons look like they were made in MS Paint. I wanted Apple to get a newer, better looking os but this sucks.

I'd like it if they actually picked some better colors. Although the Photos and Game Center icons are atrocious no matter what tint you go with!
I actually feel like the photos icon is the only real improvement in the bunch.

I really can't decide what's worse, though: the Newsstand icon or the settings icon. They're both gut-wrenchingly disgusting.

They've changed icons before based on demand. I think a lot of the current icons will change at least slightly.

Frankly, I don't care about the way the icons look. That isn't the big deal about iOS 7. The addition of the card style multitasking, control center (SBSettings), the hugely improved notification center, and all the massive improvements to the stock apps make it a massive upgrade that iOS has needed for years.

I personally really enjoy the improvements to the photo app. I like how it automatically sorts all your photos based on date taken / location and will automagically sort them in a cool to access and view mode. I don't know if other mobile OS's have done this before, and i'm sure a 3rd party photo app did it at some point, but you have to give Apple credit for how smooth it operates and how you can even zoom all the way back out and just drag your finger over for a quick thumbnail of what your finger is currently touching. This is one of the most awesome improvements by far IMO and will be greatly underappreciated by many people.

iOS safari was already really good, and the addition of the combined search bar along with further hiding the safari UI automatically is an awesome improvement.

Finally, the layered approach to the home screen in general is really cool. It's hard to appreciate unless you are using the device itself as you can't see the depth in iOS screengrabs. It's just really cool how the background sort of pops out as it's own thing and the icons float on top.

So yes, while agree that some of the stock app icons are a downgrade - Focusing on just that is totally glazing over some awesome improvements across the board. Also, depending on the background image you use there won't be as much 'pop' when the transparency layers are drawn so keep that in mind.

I've had little reason to jailbreak in the past. It was mostly for SBSettings, and it is obvious Apple pretty much ripped some of the most popular springboard mods for iOS7. But who cares? For a user like me I have zero reason to jailbreak now.

Last edited:
Same here. Flat design really seems like a trendy fad where everyone jumped on the bandwagon, so it is getting harder to escape.

Icons have moved from works of art to flat/boring/monochrome versions of the same image, or total abstract nonsense, like the game center icon, which is just some colored circles.

A disturbing thing in the applications and interface is the extensive use of translucency. I hated that effect when it was big a couple of years ago, but it was optional. I suspect with Apple you are stuck with this lame effect. Talk about a pointless visual effect that serves no purpose.

I call bullshit. Aero in Vista/7 was a pointless visual effect. It did nothing, and did not help workflow across different applications and GUI elements in Windows.

Using the iOS 7 beta I can tell you that the translucency is a great addition. Instead of the keyboard popping up and completely eating the bottom third of the phones already small display you can at least see through it now and visualize what is under it.

It goes way beyond just being a dumb visual effect in iOS.

Almost all of the iOS7 new features are and have been available on my iPhone 4S through jailbreak tweaks already.

The new theme just looks like a bad theme I'd download from a repo and remove shortly after.

Disappointed.

I think the big key to looking at the new icons, is ignoring the background. The background I think "colors" the perception of what the icons actually look like.

Some things to note. It's definitely "brighter". The shades of all the colors are of a lighter variety. Some are pushing pastel, but not all of them. I actually would like to see the icons on a plain black background. That would probably help, me at least, judge the way it will look in general use.

Since when did Apple become a copy cat of trends. I LOVE the current icons. The new ones fucking suck. Flat is ugly.

Terrible. Quite honestly, we use all of our IOS6 devices without fail or problem. We'll keep our iPad 3's and iPhones on IOS6 until they die and move onto something that allows us to CHOOSE our look.

To tell you the truth, I have a love/hate relationship with IOS. Its simple, and IO6 looks great, but it is so damn restricted!

For the first time I am contemplating a Galaxy Note 10.1 and giving my iPad to my mother.

I call bullshit. Aero in Vista/7 was a pointless visual effect. It did nothing, and did not help workflow across different applications and GUI elements in Windows.

Using the iOS 7 beta I can tell you that the translucency is a great addition. Instead of the keyboard popping up and completely eating the bottom third of the phones already small display you can at least see through it now and visualize what is under it.

It goes way beyond just being a dumb visual effect in iOS.

I am going to call BS on your BS. Translucency is always just a dumb visual effect. It distracts, rather than conveying any useful information. Here are two examples straight from Apple. All they do is make the screen you are dealing with more annoying. I don't think anyone needs reassurance that their icons still exist.

itunesradio_jazz.jpg
shared_controlcenter_endframe.jpg

I am going to call BS on your BS. Translucency is always just a dumb visual effect. It distracts, rather than conveying any useful information. Here are two examples straight from Apple. All they do is make the screen you are dealing with more annoying. I don't think anyone needs reassurance that their icons still exist.

itunesradio_jazz.jpg
shared_controlcenter_endframe.jpg

No, it isn't. Using iOS 7 Beta 1 the translucency is far more then just a 'dumb effect'. If you seem to believe 'It's always a dumb effect' then me arguing with you is akin to beating my head against a wall.

No, it isn't. Using iOS 7 Beta 1 the translucency is far more then just a 'dumb effect'. If you seem to believe 'It's always a dumb effect' then me arguing with you is akin to beating my head against a wall.

Please enlighten me. How are these two examples from Apple showing us useful information? How are they more than just dumb effect? Because that is all it looks like to me. Maybe I am just missing the revelation.

So you can see big, faint blobs of color underneath? This changes everything, again!

I have no problem with it, but I'm not going to pretend it adds anything more than just some nice visuals. It's just eye candy.

So you can see big, faint blobs of color underneath? This changes everything, again!

I have no problem with it, but I'm not going to pretend it adds anything more than just some nice visuals. It's just eye candy.

actually, having just watched the promo video for iOS7, it appears that it does serve a function to some degree. In one way that it gives the user the illusion of a layered UI (since most of their new transition animations seem to focus heavily on that, flipping screens on top of one another and such as well as the paralax on the home screen)

Its also looks like it will somewhat allow you to change the color based upon your wallpaper since the color will bleed through.

Obviously, eye candy as well.

This is how I currently have my Notification Center setup. Not a fan of the default cloth background

FastBlurredNotificationCenter-Screenshot.jpg

I've been using it for a day - 6/10

Some features are absolutely great. However, the visual changes are sickening.

Very feminine. It feels like like a wedding book merged with the operating system. It really does. Apple knows who their target audience is, and its dominated by females. This OS will be very popular with them.

Any fellow [H]'er with a developer account able to help me out with getting the BETA? I need to test a few things for work and having it on my phone would prove useful.

Will the weather icon finally give a live number like calendar icon? Only in California is it 73*F all day every day!

After playing around with ios7 for a bit, I really like the improvements. Feels a LOT more functional OOTB than past versions. There are some things that need some improvements but this is also a beta so I'm sure some things will change. All in all, I'm pretty impressed. Can't wait until the final release and to see what the jailbreak community can do with it.

Will the weather icon finally give a live number like calendar icon? Only in California is it 73*F all day every day!

No, but the clock is. The weather icon doesn't show a temp anymore... Just a cloud and sun

This isn't flat design, and that word has been hilariously misused over the last 48 hours. It's minimal, not flat. The OS is still designed around depth; things still slide in and overlap (and now acknowledge that they are overlapping), there's emphasis on parallax, and there are discernible layers. Personally, I blame Metro for skewing use of the word flat; since Metro is both flat and minimal, people now think the two are the same thing.

Also, it's remarkable how the Internet has immediately developed a purportedly informed opinion about a half-complete thing it has never used.

This isn't flat design, and that word has been hilariously misused over the last 48 hours. It's minimal, not flat. The OS is still designed around depth; things still slide in and overlap (and now acknowledge that they are overlapping), there's emphasis on parallax, and there are discernible layers. Personally, I blame Metro for skewing use of the word flat; since Metro is both flat and minimal, people now think the two are the same thing.

Also, it's remarkable how the Internet has immediately developed a purportedly informed opinion about a half-complete thing it has never used.

I don't think flat design literally means flat, as in no depth within a view. I think it means that individual elements themselves tend to be flat, no faux 3D, drop shadows or gradients on words, text and so forth. For example the tiles on the Start Screen in Windows 8 are definitely flat but with a background tattoo the parallax is obvious and the tiles do feel like they are floating on top of the background.

I agree. Seeing the two designs side by side is jarring.

Of course it's jarring, it's different. Do you really think that the people that came up with these designs never thought or heard of that? Microsoft launched these design principles two years ago in Windows and heard all about jarring. Pretty hard to see how Apple missed that message. Obviously even Apple doesn't consider jarring that important.

Okay, after using it a little more... I have to say that I HATE the new safari UI. Unified search bar is crap and really dislike how full screen now works. I preferred the old design where it had a button to press to go into fullscreen. It just feels like the old method gave you more viewable area in landscape and was more intuitive.

In portrait however, I do like it.

Also don't like how the bookmarks are setup although it could be a bug. There are no 'breaks' or anything to seperate books marks from one another. It's just a mess of text

Would also be nice to have a darker UI theme. During the day and outside, white is really useful but at night it just seems 'too bright'... Even with the display brightness turned down

Back