POLL - The "best" Android Phone

Best "Android" Phone

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
DisplayMate, the authority on display testing, used to have a Note 3 and iPhone 5s comparison but Apple forced them to remove it since it cast the iPhone negatively. In a nutshell, color accuracy/reproduction are equivalent while the Note 3 is clearly better in PPI, resolution, black level and size.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

Last edited:
DisplayMate, the authority on display testing, used to have a Note 3 and iPhone 5s comparison but Apple forced them to remove it since it cast the iPhone negatively. In a nutshell, color accuracy/reproduction are equivalent while the Note 3 is clearly better in PPI, resolution, black level and size.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

That should be the day to completely boycott a (supposed unbiased) company like Displaymate when a device manufacturer can "force" them into removing results. Ridiculous.

That should be the day to completely boycott a (supposed unbiased) company like Displaymate when a device manufacturer can "force" them into removing results. Ridiculous.

You stand up to apple's massive team of highly paid lawyers the get back to us.

I have had all of but two of the phones on the list, G2 and Moto X and the Note 3 is by far the best phone in terms of overall package. Though I think the Z1 could make a good run at it as well but I havent owned it so I cant say.

You stand up to apple's massive team of highly paid lawyers the get back to us.

Not sure where you are located, but I believe Freedom Of Speech is a right in most non-communist countries.... right?? (you're in North Korea I assume?? :p)

Last edited:
Not sure where you are located, but I believe Freedom Of Speech is a right in most non-communist countries.... right??

Freedom of speech protects you only from arrest and criminal charges.

It does not protect you against civil suits, or any action by a private individual or organization (provided such action isn't already illegal)

And even if Apple wouldn't have a legitimate case in a civil suit, they would probably just go by the "deepest pockets" approach. Make up a bunch of bogus points to sue on, knowing they will eventually get refuted and thrown out, but also knowing that to do so, they are causing you - the much much smaller company - to incur legal costs on th elevel that could force you to bankruptcy.

So, most smaller companies are forced to fold to the bigger ones, or face bankruptcy, even if they have done nothing wrong...

You have to LOVE our justice system...

Zarathustra[H];1040638368 said:
Freedom of speech protects you only from arrest and criminal charges.

It does not protect you against civil suits, or any action by a private individual or organization (provided such action isn't already illegal)

And even if Apple wouldn't have a legitimate case in a civil suit, they would probably just go by the "deepest pockets" approach. Make up a bunch of bogus points to sue on, knowing they will eventually get refuted and thrown out, but also knowing that to do so, they are causing you - the much much smaller company - to incur legal costs on th elevel that could force you to bankruptcy.

So, most smaller companies are forced to fold to the bigger ones, or face bankruptcy, even if they have done nothing wrong...

You have to LOVE our justice system...

Your legal system sucks... just saying! :p

Evidence of this claimed censorship, please? I'm searching for "iPhone 5s DisplayMate" and there's no proof that anything even happened. All I see are the iPhone 5 tests and articles reporting on them.

Last edited:
Evidence of this claimed censorship, please? I'm searching for "iPhone 5s DisplayMate" and there's no proof that anything even happened. All I see are the iPhone 5 tests and articles reporting on them.
made up facts and mathematical/statistical illiterate analysis is what makes Fox News the #1 "news" program in America. Does this surprise you?

made up facts and mathematical/statistical illiterate analysis is what makes Fox News the #1 "news" program in America. Does this surprise you?

Sadly, no... considering how there hasn't been any offer of proof in the space of a day, it's reasonable to believe that the DisplayMate claim is a lie. I'd be happy to be shown evidence to the contrary!

It's also odd to singularly accuse Apple of nefarious practices when Samsung appears to be strong-arming Korean media in an attempt to kill publicity for a movie highlighting shady labor practices. Apple isn't saintly by any means, but it doesn't make sense to accuse the company of intimidation and promptly rush into the arms of Samsung, a corporation that practically dictates Korean life and is on the record as having bullied opponents and bribed officials.

Can we get back to discussing what the best Android phone is? I think the Note 3 is a great all-around device, but you do have to like both that 5.7-inch screen size and TouchWiz. It's also lousy for low-light photography. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think there's a device that will appeal to absolutely everybody -- it depends on what you're used to, what dimensions you prefer and what your priorities are. I chose the Nexus 5 for its up to date Android and value for money among unlocked devices, but I wouldn't insist that it's the best phone for everyone.

Last edited:
I think the Note 3 is a great all-around device, but you do have to like both that 5.7-inch screen size and TouchWiz. It's also lousy for low-light photography.
I found this last detail about low light camera performance to be true of every handset device I've ever tried, can you recommend the best low-light camera phone? If it's the 41MP Nokia Saved-By-the-Bell phone--don't want.

I found this last detail about low light camera performance to be true of every handset device I've ever tried, can you recommend the best low-light camera phone? If it's the 41MP Nokia Saved-By-the-Bell phone--don't want.

In Android: G2, Nexus 5, Xperia Z1/Z1S/Z1 Compact.

From other platforms: iPhone 5s and every Lumia from the 1020 onward (including the 1520 and Icon). It's worth trying the 1520 or Icon, depending on your carrier... the Nokia Camera app gives you an amazing level of control over the shot.

Sadly, no... considering how there hasn't been any offer of proof in the space of a day, it's reasonable to believe that the DisplayMate claim is a lie. I'd be happy to be shown evidence to the contrary!

It's also odd to singularly accuse Apple of nefarious practices when Samsung appears to be strong-arming Korean media in an attempt to kill publicity for a movie highlighting shady labor practices. Apple isn't saintly by any means, but it doesn't make sense to accuse the company of intimidation and promptly rush into the arms of Samsung, a corporation that practically dictates Korean life and is on the record as having bullied opponents and bribed officials.

Can we get back to discussing what the best Android phone is? I think the Note 3 is a great all-around device, but you do have to like both that 5.7-inch screen size and TouchWiz. It's also lousy for low-light photography. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think there's a device that will appeal to absolutely everybody -- it depends on what you're used to, what dimensions you prefer and what your priorities are. I chose the Nexus 5 for its up to date Android and value for money among unlocked devices, but I wouldn't insist that it's the best phone for everyone.

I was tempted to not get a note 3 because I dislike Samsung so much. I'm hoping a reasonable competitor arises. I went out of my way to find a store that still had a vt60 because I will not buy the 8500 Samsung.

That took me a few weeks of walking into stores.

HTC One is probably the best low-light camera on an Android phone, but I still don't think it's as good as an iPhone 5/5S and it sacrifices resolution/sharpness to do it, so I think they gambled a bit on that.

For some reason, it seems that Android inherently is not good for camera software. It's like the only area where you can't find an Android phone that can complete with an iPhone in every setting and it's pretty annoying. Definitely not enough to get me or my wife to switch to iOS though. I think the Xperia Z1 probably has the best overall camera of any Android phone, but its interface, features and low-light performance still don't compete well with the iPhone 5/5S/C.

All camera phones are lacking in low light and it's even worse with any kind of motion. Focus on performance with good lighting since that covers majority of the photos taken. If you're serious about low light get a camera with a larger sensor.

http://www.gsmarena.com/six_way_camera_shootout-review-998p5.php

Yeah, I don't think anyone is "serious" about low-light performance on phone cameras. But it would be nice to at least have pictures be consistant and mostly legible in low-light (even if it has to be noisy). Pretty much all Android phones/cameras (HTC One being the exception) can't do either of those things in low-light and usually either are too dark or blurry to know what the hell you're looking at, which the newer iPhones and Lumias are at least adequate and legible.

All camera phones are lacking in low light and it's even worse with any kind of motion. Focus on performance with good lighting since that covers majority of the photos taken. If you're serious about low light get a camera with a larger sensor.

http://www.gsmarena.com/six_way_camera_shootout-review-998p5.php

It's still perfectly reasonable to value phones whose cameras are better in a wider variety of situations. Sometimes your phone is the only camera you can take with you. Why shouldn't you ask for better low-light performance if you can get it? I can't bring my NEX-5N with me to a concert, and I'm not going to lug it around every time I *might* want to take a photo after the sun goes down.

This reminds me of a brief argument I had last year. This one man insisted that it was never worth using a phone camera, and that you could never take a good photo with one -- you 'must' take a photo with a DSLR or mirrorless cam to sincerely appreciate photography. It was a fundamentally absurd premise. It ignored not just those situations where the phone would produce a similar (or at least good enough) result, but also the value of having a camera on your phone in the first place. I was tempted to ask him if he drove, and to berate him if he owned anything less than a performance car. "You can't possibly enjoy driving unless you have at least a V8 engine! You'd be better off walking!"

It's still perfectly reasonable to value phones whose cameras are better in a wider variety of situations.

Not with camera phones. It's about trade offs and compromises. While you might go from mediocre to slightly less mediocre low light going from phone A to phone B but at a loss of good light, resolution, detail, 4K video, motion focus, other non-camera features like larger AMOLED, pure black, precision pen, better real world/gaming performance, etc.

Not with camera phones. It's about trade offs and compromises. While you might go from mediocre to slightly less mediocre low light going from phone A to phone B but at a loss of good light, resolution, detail, 4K video, motion focus, other non-camera features like larger AMOLED, pure black, precision pen, better real world/gaming performance, etc.

Stop it, please. We know you believe the Galaxy Note 3 is pure perfection, but shouting it louder doesn't make you right. It's a good phone, but it doesn't clobber every rival in everything it does.

To deconstruct:

- The low-light performance differences are not "mediocre to slightly less mediocre." The gap in low-light performance between the GS4/GN3 and other phones is demonstrably huge. It's the difference between a decently-lit subject and a black void, or a halfway sharp object and a blur. Resolution and detail matter, but only as long as your camera can focus properly and show detail in the first place.

- Tell me how many 4K videos you've recorded, and how long they tend to be. 4K capture is great, but unless you have both a 4K display and lots of storage, it's wasted.

- We've already discussed that larger screens and pen input aren't for everyone, but I will add that AMOLED is not a magical cure-all. A well-done LCD is typically more color-accurate and is usually much easier to see in bright sunlight. AMOLED's specialties are punchiness (reds tend to be exaggerated, for example) and black levels.

- Your performance argument doesn't even make sense. There are other Snapdragon 800-equipped phones with better cameras and similar performance, and the A7 in the iPhone 5s competes well with the S800. In other words, those other phones aren't sacrificing any speed to get better camera tech.

I'll let you in on a little secret: your phone doesn't have to be the best at everything for you to enjoy it. It's okay to acknowledge weak points and say that your device is still a good choice overall, or that the tradeoffs were worth it. It's also fine to say that a phone is good for your particular needs without insisting that it must be good for everyone else. The sooner you can accept the nuanced reality, the better off we'll all be.

Last edited:
Stop it, please. We know you believe the Galaxy Note 3 is pure perfection, but shouting it louder doesn't make you right. It's a good phone, but it doesn't clobber every rival in everything it does.

To deconstruct:

- The low-light performance differences are not "mediocre to slightly less mediocre." The gap in low-light performance between the GS4/GN3 and other phones is demonstrably huge. It's the difference between a decently-lit subject and a black void, or a halfway sharp object and a blur. Resolution and detail matter, but only as long as your camera can focus properly and show detail in the first place.

- Tell me how many 4K videos you've recorded, and how long they tend to be. 4K capture is great, but unless you have both a 4K display and lots of storage, it's wasted.

- We've already discussed that larger screens and pen input aren't for everyone, but I will add that AMOLED is not a magical cure-all. A well-done LCD is typically more color-accurate and is usually much easier to see in bright sunlight. AMOLED's specialties are punchiness (reds tend to be exaggerated, for example) and black levels.

- Your performance argument doesn't even make sense. There are other Snapdragon 800-equipped phones with better cameras and similar performance, and the A7 in the iPhone 5s competes well with the S800. In other words, those other phones aren't sacrificing any speed to get better camera tech.

I'll let you in on a little secret: your phone doesn't have to be the best at everything for you to enjoy it. It's okay to acknowledge weak points and say that your device is still a good choice overall, or that the tradeoffs were worth it. It's also fine to say that a phone is good for your particular needs without insisting that it must be good for everyone else. The sooner you can accept the nuanced reality, the better off we'll all be.

I'd even take it a step further and suggest that high resolution cameras on phones are a complete waste. The resolution numbers are for marketing only. With the tiny lenses in these things there is no way you'll actually take advantage of all that resolution. There really is no need for more than 3MP or so, unless you have a REAL camera lens.

Is that /s because I see a difference:

crop4.jpg

Lumia 1020 > Sony Z1 > Note 3 > LG G2 > HTC One > iPhone 5s

This is one of the trade offs I was referring to where, for example, the HTC One is designed for slightly less mediocre low light at the expense of good light, resolution and detail.

I can't tell you how many times I've been at a restaurant or out at night with friends and my HTC One was the only phone able to take decent photos. Everyone would look at the low light photos it takes and ask, "Why doesn't my phone do that"? I've since switched to a Note 3, and while I love it, I really miss the camera from the HTC One. MP count doesn't really matter to me as I would rarely ever crop photos. Especially to such an extreme degree like the photo above. I just want something that looks good on facebook in every scenario. A quality I think the majority of cell phone user look for a well. The camera from the HTC One was capable of that.

Oh and in the defense of the Note 3 I don't think screen brightness is a valid point of argument anymore. Samsung seems to have solved the problem of low light output with AMOLED. Displaymate measured an incredible 660cd/m2 on their Note 3 which is the brightest display they've ever tested. Yes even brighter than an iphone.

For the guys with Note 3 do you guys use smart stabilization and beauty mode to see if it improves your low light?

I can't tell you how many times I've been at a restaurant or out at night with friends and my HTC One was the only phone able to take decent photos. Everyone would look at the low light photos it takes and ask, "Why doesn't my phone do that"? I've since switched to a Note 3, and while I love it, I really miss the camera from the HTC One. MP count doesn't really matter to me as I would rarely ever crop photos. Especially to such an extreme degree like the photo above. I just want something that looks good on facebook in every scenario. A quality I think the majority of cell phone user look for a well. The camera from the HTC One was capable of that.

Oh and in the defense of the Note 3 I don't think screen brightness is a valid point of argument anymore. Samsung seems to have solved the problem of low light output with AMOLED. Displaymate measured an incredible 660cd/m2 on their Note 3 which is the brightest display they've ever tested. Yes even brighter than an iphone.
That's pretty much what I've been arguing all along. I work during the day, go out at night. I hardly go out during the day at weekends either, or even if I do go out during the day, it's mostly shopping. So there are not many opportunities for me to use the phone with bright lighting. Low-light performance is pretty key for me. And what really is the point of having more MP than 3 anyway for casual photography? Facebook, Instagram, twitter, Google+ downgrades your images anyway. You also get to store a lot more pictures with 4MP too.

I think this is similar to the old Intel vs AMD debate of the late 90's and early 00. It's efficiency not greater GHz... The pixel quality of the HTC One is better than most phones. Sure, its resolution is not as big, but it's the details of what it actually captures.

Zarathustra[H];1040645911 said:
I'd even take it a step further and suggest that high resolution cameras on phones are a complete waste. The resolution numbers are for marketing only. With the tiny lenses in these things there is no way you'll actually take advantage of all that resolution. There really is no need for more than 3MP or so, unless you have a REAL camera lens.

While I agree I think 5MP should be the minimum at this point.

At least generation to generation camera on phones are finally making the leaps they have needed to.

Facebook, Instagram, twitter, Google+ downgrades your images anyway. You also get to store a lot more pictures with 4MP too.

You have the option to save full size photos to Google+.

The pixel quality of the HTC One is better than most phones. Sure, its resolution is not as big, but it's the details of what it actually captures.

I think mi7chy's post pretty much proves that the One's camera isn't that great at picking up details. Phonearena and DPReview agree. The One's camera is best in low light, but it's only 4 MP, so there's hard cap on the amount of detail that it can capture.

Majority prefer to save photos in the highest resolution possible where they can crop or resize rather than relegating a possible once in a lifetime shot to low resolution forever if they ever want to turn it into a poster, desktop background, etc. and how it helped ID and ultimately capture the Boston bombers.

Storage is a non-issue since there are Android native sync options to Google Plus/Drive, other non-native sync options and removable SD card.

While I agree I think 5MP should be the minimum at this point.

At least generation to generation camera on phones are finally making the leaps they have needed to.

Yeah, we would all be better served if marketing departments an easy metric measuring sensor noise at low light, and lens sharpness, rather than just megapixels.

We have gotten to the point where increased resolution on a camera does little more than just allow marketing departments to brag about a higher number. It adds no benefit at all, if when you look at the pixels at 100% zoom they are just a blurry mess, because the resolution is so much higher than the lens can support.

I picked up a LG G2 for free about 6 months ago, it's a great phone so far. I questioned the button placement, but after using it for awhile I actually like it. Good compromise of size, and it's pretty much unrivaled on hardware specs. Can't speak to the camera, I don't really care about cameras...

For the love of god, if you are trying to take high res pics, you should be using a DSLR... To think that a PHONE needs a spectacular camera is just ludicrous. These are phones. Not cameras. That said, we don't always have a camera with us when picture moments happen, and the majority of society has those moments in-doors or just plain close encounters, where a phone camera is all that's accessible. The HTC One's camera will normally pull the best shots around for quick snaps out and about with friends.

I love my One's camera, for these occasions. When I'm going sight seeing or on vacation I bring my DSLR... Like one should.

For the love of god, if you are trying to take high res pics, you should be using a DSLR... To think that a PHONE needs a spectacular camera is just ludicrous. These are phones. Not cameras. That said, we don't always have a camera with us when picture moments happen, and the majority of society has those moments in-doors or just plain close encounters, where a phone camera is all that's accessible. The HTC One's camera will normally pull the best shots around for quick snaps out and about with friends.

I love my One's camera, for these occasions. When I'm going sight seeing or on vacation I bring my DSLR... Like one should.

Couldn't agree more.

This is my whip. The body is getting a little bit dated, but still does a decent job. Hoping to go full frame for my next one!

4123321079_041f204494_z.jpg

I only use the phone in my camera for casual stuff, like, I was out walking, and look at this cool thing I just saw.

The note 3 has a high rez camera due to ultra high def video recording. If it didn't want uhd recording (which is freaking awesome btw) it would have an 8mp camera.

I'd use a Nikon D4 for low light but wouldn't prefer to haul that brick around for anything else. Note 3 is fine for most things and focuses very well in good light even with motion. Went on a cruise and while bobbing in the boat that shuttles between ship and land it took surprisingly in focus detailed shots.

DSLR's are great but 99 percent of the photos you see on a daily basis are NOT from a professional level camera. Unless you are doing the tourist thing or are an amateur photographer or professional photographer there is very little reason to lug around over a thousand dollars of extra camera equipment just for everyday moments.

It's really not even fair to compare any smartphone camera as such to even a low end DSLR. We all know that it's the sensor and glass that makes the camera not the megapixel count.

I think mi7chy's post pretty much proves that the One's camera isn't that great at picking up details. Phonearena and DPReview agree. The One's camera is best in low light, but it's only 4 MP, so there's hard cap on the amount of detail that it can capture.
once again, resolution or the lack thereof on a technical standpoint does not mean "details." The word used in those articles to describe image resolution seems to equal "detail," because the images zoomed in looks like you capture higher detail of the object you're taking an image of. But the data captured per pixel is scientifically higher by an "UltraPixel" sensor. The data per pixel is what I would describe as "more detail per pixel" as it does capture more light per pixel. And images are the capture of light. You'll have less resolution to capture the details of the object but each pixel captured more detail per pixel. I seem to be repeating the resolution vs detail argument, so I'll stop now...

I do believe a 6MP camera would probably be enough due to cropping for 1080p images. (cropping seem more reasonable at this resolution), but with 4K coming up, a camera needs at least 8.3MP. So HTC pretty much is caught in a bind on this one. Unless somehow they put two 4.2+ MP UP sensors together for that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back