POLL - The "best" Android Phone

Best "Android" Phone

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nexus 5 has a better SoC. Nexus 5 has a better screen, in fact, the best screen scientifically speaking. Nexus 5 out of the box provides a better experience than GN3 out of the box. Plenty of "contests."

So you pick 2 things out of the countless measures of a phone and of them maybe 1 is correct depending on your opinion. The SOC on the nexus 5 is better how? I mean its practically the same exact SOC minus the 1 GB of ram it lacks over the note 3. Neither specs nor benchmarks bare out that that SOC is superior.

Even if you you claim that you are at best talking about edging the galaxy note 3 out in a couple specs. Meanwhile the GN3 takes no contest victories in so many areas.

Nexus 5 has worse screen in outdoor environments. It is more washed out. OK its a little more accurate than the note 3. So in the world of displays where we have long since gone past where pixel density matters its so high on all devices now you claim that's the big ticket?

As I said feature for feature spec for spec the note 3 brings high end to every area, is it the best possible phone in EVERY area? No, but no other phone out there is either. However the note 3 comes with pretty much everything except a finger print reader. Most other phones drop many features. The nexus has half the storage even though it doesn't even have expandable storage.

Labeling the nexus 5 the best is just fanboyism. The nexus is a great value phone no doubt. That's it. There is not anything else remarkable about it.

The battery size is what killed the N5 for me. There's no way I'd ever pick it over a G2 or Note 3 based on that fact alone.

The only reason I can see for people wanting a generic "best" phone is for validation of their purchase or (even worse) fanboyism. Or maybe they have some sort of direct vested interest in a particular company (employee, paid shill, investment, etc.).

There is a best fit phone for you as an individual and that should be all that matters.

Or maybe if you want to know is what the most popular phone is. Sales metrics can show you that for the general public.

The only reason I can see for people wanting a generic "best" phone is for validation of their purchase or (even worse) fanboyism. Or maybe they have some sort of direct vested interest in a particular company (employee, paid shill, investment, etc.).

There is a best fit phone for you as an individual and that should be all that matters.

Or maybe if you want to know is what the most popular phone is. Sales metrics can show you that for the general public.

You're making WAY too much sense right now.

So you pick 2 things out of the countless measures of a phone and of them maybe 1 is correct depending on your opinion. The SOC on the nexus 5 is better how? I mean its practically the same exact SOC minus the 1 GB of ram it lacks over the note 3. Neither specs nor benchmarks bare out that that SOC is superior.

Even if you you claim that you are at best talking about edging the galaxy note 3 out in a couple specs. Meanwhile the GN3 takes no contest victories in so many areas.

Nexus 5 has worse screen in outdoor environments. It is more washed out. OK its a little more accurate than the note 3. So in the world of displays where we have long since gone past where pixel density matters its so high on all devices now you claim that's the big ticket?

As I said feature for feature spec for spec the note 3 brings high end to every area, is it the best possible phone in EVERY area? No, but no other phone out there is either. However the note 3 comes with pretty much everything except a finger print reader. Most other phones drop many features. The nexus has half the storage even though it doesn't even have expandable storage.

Labeling the nexus 5 the best is just fanboyism. The nexus is a great value phone no doubt. That's it. There is not anything else remarkable about it.
you're not even making sense. Clearly it's contested. Heck, look at my other post and what I voted for. It's not the Nexus 5. You said "no contest" and how Nexus 5 sucks other than value. How dare you now throw out a fanboyism label...

I think I got baited by a troll again

Best two android phones of last year is the HTC One and Moto X, honorable mentions Moto G and Nexus 5. Opinion stated.

It is valuable in order to highlight quality products that did not sell well in the marketplace. Like the LG G2. I greatly benefited from positive user and website reviews on that smartphone. Would not have known what a great product it was otherwise.

At my local Verizon store they told me just about everyone buys either iPhone or Samsung. But these types of threads help folks to know there are lots of other fine choices out there.

Anecdote: when I went to inspect and later purchase my LG G2 recently, the phone was not configured correctly for internet at the Verizon store. I am sure many folks simply gave up on it and went with the more popular choices. I asked the employees there to fix the G2 so that it would successfully connect to the internet. After testing it I bought my G2. It reminds me of times I went to a Best Buy or similar store and a perfectly good TV is poorly calibrated. Which results in poor sales of that model for no good reason.

It is valuable in order to highlight quality products that did not sell well in the marketplace. Like the LG G2. I greatly benefited from positive user and website reviews on that smartphone. Would not have known what a great product it was otherwise.

At my local Verizon store they told me just about everyone buys either iPhone or Samsung. But these types of threads help folks to know there are lots of other fine choices out there.

Anecdote: when I went to inspect and later purchase my LG G2 recently, the phone was not configured correctly for internet at the Verizon store. I am sure many folks simply gave up on it and went with the more popular choices. I asked the employees there to fix the G2 so that it would successfully connect to the internet. After testing it I bought my G2. It reminds me of times I went to a Best Buy or similar store and a perfectly good TV is poorly calibrated. Which results in poor sales of that model for no good reason.

Best Buy is the worst show room store ever and its only because they hire lazy and incompetent employees. Their phones are left dirty, off their holster, preview software is all fucked up and what are the kiosk employees doing? talking to each other. Their TV's, first they are poorly situated, I remember Panasonic sending out some of their PR engineers to BB's to get their TV's in the right spot and their employees have NO IDEA what to sell you.

useless-employee: "hello, can I help you?"

Me: "yes I'm looking for the new Panasonic Plasma VT, you got any sizes?"

useless-employee: "sure, look at this Sony LED, it costs a lot and I want to sell you some useless Monster cables!"

This happened a few weeks ago when I went to a local BB store trying to nab a VT model, it wasn't a Sony LED it was a Samsung LCD that was improperly labeled on the price sticker (but the TV had the correct advertising stickers on it).

Another Vote for the HTC One. I'm in love with mine. And the community kicks so much ass.

It's hard to see a phone with TouchWiz winning... *shudders*

It doesn't seem like finding some sort of "best" generic phone would have helped you. You simply needed to know what the current high end phones are, and then see how each best fits you.

According to this thread the "best" generic phone is either the Note 3 or maybe the Nexus 5. If you actually believed in the concept of a best phone then you would have gotten one of those over the G2. However I find it hard to rationalize the idea that you somehow are using a "worse" phone unless you have one of those.

I have the Nexus 5. Do I think it is the best phone for anyone else but me? It suits me but there may be (statistically much more likely to be) a better phone for most others.

Even something considered budget, and less desirable, like the Moto G could be the best fit someone.

Well, I'm the one that created the thread and I run an iPhone! :p

AND FWIW I think the Note 3 is the best at the current time... because it just has so many usable features that it IMO stands out from the rest of the competition. And the funny thing about that?? I probably wouldn't buy one!! I would probably end up getting the N5! :D

Am i the only one who is for Sony Z1/Z1S phones? The build quality, price, and software beat most phones out there. Anyone who complains about the TFT screen on it is using thier phone at extreme angles.

Am i the only one who is for Sony Z1/Z1S phones? The build quality, price, and software beat most phones out there. Anyone who complains about the TFT screen on it is using thier phone at extreme angles.

I guess I should have included them in the poll maybe? I have never used one OR seen one in the wild, so I omitted them for no other reason than because I "forgot" they existed.

I guess I should have included them in the poll maybe? I have never used one OR seen one in the wild, so I omitted them for no other reason than because I "forgot" they existed.

They aren't as popular in the States but its a very underrated phone

They aren't as popular in the States but its a very underrated phone

I'm actually not from "the States"... Canada here. And I "DO" see Sony phones around, but they are usually the "free" ones given out by Telus or Bell. Nothing worth noting for sure. :)

It doesn't seem like finding some sort of "best" generic phone would have helped you. You simply needed to know what the current high end phones are, and then see how each best fits you.

According to this thread the "best" generic phone is either the Note 3 or maybe the Nexus 5. If you actually believed in the concept of a best phone then you would have gotten one of those over the G2. However I find it hard to rationalize the idea that you somehow are using a "worse" phone unless you have one of those.

I have the Nexus 5. Do I think it is the best phone for anyone else but me? It suits me but there may be (statistically much more likely to be) a better phone for most others.

Even something considered budget, and less desirable, like the Moto G could be the best fit someone.

You can find best Android phones in many other places. For instance:
http://www.android.gs/best-android-phones-in-february-2014/
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/15/top-5-android-smartphones-january-2014-2/

I would not, nor would I recommend, folks make a decision based on a single poll. Rather, look at multiple polls. Also, I would not simply look at the poll result. It is important to read the comments associated with the poll. The LG G2 scores well in all the polls I have seen. That is good enough for me. It doesn't need to be #1. We all have our own preferences to consider.

In the same way I do not simply look at a video game's review score but also read the text. Sometimes you end up buying a lower rated video game because something in the text appeals. Other times you forgo a game with high scores because the text mentions stuff you do not prefer.

One more thing, I like the Nexus 5 a lot but am on Verizon so that was not an option.

I don't have much experience with the other devices on the list, but I will say that I have been VERY impressed with my LG G2. Huge upgrade from my now dead Galaxy S3.

Very fast, solid build and great screen! Took a little time to get used to the back buttons, but that's my only comment.

Best Android Phone EVAR~!
picard-android.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner :cool:

In my opinion the Note 3 is the best. I upgraded from a Note 2. I love the big clear screen and the s pen comes in handy once in a while.

Phone choice is pretty subjective, so really there is no single "best" in my opinion. Its a pretty tough decision to make if you don't read all the reviews, watch demo videos and get a bit of hands on time with the devices. Or maybe that's just me :).

In my opinion the Note 3 is the best. I upgraded from a Note 2. I love the big clear screen and the s pen comes in handy once in a while.

Phone choice is pretty subjective, so really there is no single "best" in my opinion. Its a pretty tough decision to make if you don't read all the reviews, watch demo videos and get a bit of hands on time with the devices. Or maybe that's just me :).

I guess it's one of those "to each their own" type of thing. Everyone wants to proclaim the best, but it really comes down to what is best suited to any individuals needs.

I like the concept of the big screen, but the stylus (sorry Samsung, I refuse to call it a pen :p ) seems utterly useless to me. What do you actually wind up using it for? I find typed notes better than written ones, and I don't draw too many pictures on my phone.

The hardware in the Note3 seems nice, but I still think it's just a bit big for every day use. I did do the "pocket test" in the store and I was able to carry it in my pocket, so that wasn't the problem. (heck, my 2013 Nexus 7 fits in most of my pockets...) It was just challenging to use single handed, and wound up being big and clumsy in my hands (and I have big hands!)

I find the Galaxy S* / HTC One / LG G2 / Nexus 5 to be the most useful size for me.

I probably would have picked the Nexus 5 when I went shopping for a new phone 3 weeks ago, but I'm on Verizon, so my options were more limited. I wound up getting an LG G2 and it has turned out to be a pretty awesome phone!

This is very timely for me. I am currently a dissatisfied user of the Galaxy S3 (replaced the battery about two months ago and it is already in bad shape, my portable batteries do not work, software stalls out, etc) and I am deciding between the Nexus 5 and the Xperiea Z1 Compact (assuming it ever hits T-Mo stores).

I am leaning towards the Nexus 5 since it is one of the best value smartphones, but I wanted to hear more opinions first. Thanks in advance!

Note 3.

Removable battery, SD card, S-pen, great CPU. That seals it for me. I have the Note 2 and absolutely love it. The 3 is even better. Maybe a little too big for some people but that's the only negative for me.

lol, the answer is the G2, period. Only exception is if it's too big for your hand. Or I guess if you actually use the phone's speakers (in which case HTC One).

lmao, people actually answered the Nexus 5....... hahahahaha seriously? The Nexus series is CHEAP, not good... there are few worse answers. The N5 is a stripped down G2. It's not a bad choice for some people, but for a best phone thread, it shouldn't even be an option.

Why no Sony options?

Last edited:
Sony, which is another good option, doesn't get mentioned much in the US since it's only carried on one of the big four carriers Tmo and not Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

This is what I would have gotten for AT&T (I use Straight Talk AT&T) if it were released a few months ago: http://negrielectronics.com/sony-c6906-xperia-z1-lte-unlocked-white.html#.UvVAFrSFmmw

C6906 Xperia Z1 does support LTE band 17 (AT&T) and 4 (T-Mo)

As far as availability of the phone they are not as good either. But it's at least available for AT&T. (Actually, you could have gotten one of their earlier-released models if you were willing to eschew LTE, but I wasn't so I got a G2 - T-Mo version since the T-Mo G2 (D801) fully supports both T-Mo and AT&T, including LTE)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but trying to take decent photos with my Note 3 has been impossible. Maybe it's the lighting in my room. So far this has been the only aspect I'm disappointed about with the N3. Audio quality through the headphone jack is stellar though. I noticed a definite increase in fidelity from my Note 2.

Although it may have limited appeal I'm really excited to see what Asus does with the Padfone when they bring it to the US. For me it may be a valid reason to get rid of my Note 3

The LG G2 would get my vote but for... ...LG's prolific and ongoing pooch-screwing of camera quality.

Can you elaborate on this? The G2 has disappeared from AT&T stores online and B&Ms. The flex is out there... but I was looking at the G2 specifically after hearing what a tremendous success it's camera is and was surprised to run across your comment. Do you have personal experience with this camera phone?

Can you elaborate on this? The G2 has disappeared from AT&T stores online and B&Ms. The flex is out there... but I was looking at the G2 specifically after hearing what a tremendous success it's camera is and was surprised to run across your comment. Do you have personal experience with this camera phone?

I don't know where that comment is coming from. The camera on my G2 is great for a phone, and a clear improvement over my previous S3 and much better than what is in my Nexus7.

None of them touch my SLR though :p

Unless there was a fairly recent update to address the problem, I had the same experience with the g2 (playing with a display model when it came out) as I did with my optimus g; continual auto refocusing (also called focus breathing--the camera refocuses every couple seconds a pain with stills, really bad with video). Its a prevalent issue, if you google it you'll find a treasure trove of complaints. Perhaps there was an update, but the last I could tell with the g2 camera (fall of 2013), it was still doing it.

If lg updated their camera app to address the issue, then good on them. But they have done the same thing with the cameras in the optimus g, g pro, and g2 without addressing the issue; its the biggest problem with the camera that can be easily solved with software.

Unless there was a fairly recent update to address the problem, I had the same experience with the g2 (playing with a display model when it came out) as I did with my optimus g; continual auto refocusing (also called focus breathing--the camera refocuses every couple seconds a pain with stills, really bad with video). Its a prevalent issue, if you google it you'll find a treasure trove of complaints. Perhaps there was an update, but the last I could tell with the g2 camera (fall of 2013), it was still doing it.

If lg updated their camera app to address the issue, then good on them. But they have done the same thing with the cameras in the optimus g, g pro, and g2 without addressing the issue; its the biggest problem with the camera that can be easily solved with software.

Thanks much for the info. I've given up on the G2 because I didn't like the buttons when I played with it. I'm probably going to nurse my iP4s until I can get a standard upgrade. By then we should be able to get 4k display on wristwatch.

Went from an S3 to a Nexus 5, what an amazing improvement. I was scared about the battery life but the battery in the Nexus 5 lasts way way longer than an S3, even with a custom rom.

Went from an S3 to a Nexus 5, what an amazing improvement. I was scared about the battery life but the battery in the Nexus 5 lasts way way longer than an S3, even with a custom rom.

I have a much older phone than you, the Atrix 2. I cant imagine what it will be like moving to a new phone. I am going to hold out for the Nexus 6 though.

I know i voted for the HTC one but after using the note 3 it really is a very nice device. Just switched carriers and went from my iphone 5 to a note 3 and the wife got an HTC one. I must say as much as i have hated touchwiz and really still do the note 3 is just an impressive device especially once you get a different rom on it.

I am still a fan of Sense and HTC but the one is getting to be a bit dated so hopefully something new is on the horizon.

I have a much older phone than you, the Atrix 2. I cant imagine what it will be like moving to a new phone. I am going to hold out for the Nexus 6 though.

Ehh I'm still a fan of the atrix, it was a well made phone for its day and had a good ui. Granted it is dated and never got past 2.3.6, I still enjoyed it.

Technically probably the note 3 is the best, but for me it is just too big for a phone. I chose the s4 as it is a decent all rounder with the best screen. Why are other phones still using lcd when oled is clearly superior?

I no longer like the look of AMOLED... It's too "blueish" for my tastes. I like a nice true white now.

Technically probably the note 3 is the best, but for me it is just too big for a phone. I chose the s4 as it is a decent all rounder with the best screen. Why are other phones still using lcd when oled is clearly superior?

How is OLED clearly superior? IPS screens generally have better colour accuracy and reproduction.

How is OLED clearly superior? IPS screens generally have better colour accuracy and reproduction.

Depends on what characteristic is important to you.

IPS has better color accuracy, but usually has TERRIBLE blacks (took me forever to get used to my new (ordered in 2010) Dell U3011 IPS panel after switching from my old (ordered in 2006) Dell 2405FPW with a PVA panel.

So, it really depends on what you are going to do.

I would argue that IPS screens are better for professional content-creation type applications (photography, publishing, video editing etc. etc.) where color accuracy matters, and you can live with the resulting blacks and contrast compromises, whereas I would argue OLED is superior for entertainment purposes (watching movies, playing games, looking at pictures, browsing the web, etc. etc.) where color accuracy really doesn't matter.

Color accuracy is one of those things, where (unless it is REALLY bad) it does not matter at all for most applications, since people can't tell the difference unless they are viewing them side by side. It only matters in situation where the end product of your work is going to be compared to something, like in professional content creation.

I'd imagine that most people don't do professional content creation on their phones :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back