POLL: RTX - Wait for reviews or pre order?

Wait for reviews, or Pre-Order?

• I will wait for the [H] review, and others before getting one

Votes: 226 80.7%
  • I will/have pre order.

Votes: 54 19.3%

• Total voters
Damn, must be hard when your only source of income is crypto.
Well I'm married, so crypto was indeed my only source of income for GPU upgrades :D:D:p:p

When I first got my GTX1070, in about 5 months I got a little over $740 from ETH. Enough to recover the cost of the 1070 and get a GTX1070Ti for gaming.

Foolish me I expected the trend to continue so in a year I could afford the next generation video card. and up to a couple of months ago I could. But today even if I sold both cards I'd still be short for a GTX2080Ti.
And certainly the Ms surely won't be happy on me spending $1200 dlls on a video card.

Gotta be pretty hard up for cash for that. After the shipping / fees probably not much profit. Then factor in the risk of getting scammed.

Half the time I gift things for free just to avoid the nonsense on ebay.
Amazon selling is way better for video cards. Plus, with FBA Amazon will be more likely to cover any fraud (ie - returning a different card).

unfortunately eth crashed so I can no longer afford a gtx2080Ti so I can't preorder

Same feelings I felt when I couldn't afford to buy a 10 series card because of overpricing & crypto madness.

Screw selling high dollar items on Ebay, once its all said and done you'll be lucky to make a profit after Ebay & Paypal have their way with you.
True, the fees and shipping do add up, but it's an option. Especially if you want to test the card out for a week or whatever and then decide.

True, the fees and shipping do add up, but it's an option. Especially if you want to test the card out for a week or whatever and then decide.

I used to sell computer parts on Ebay, but had to stop doing it since PayPal jacked their take up. It just isn't profitable anymore & you have to sell at such a high price to make the difference people don't bid on your items.

I'm waiting for them to be in stock period leaning towards a 2080 RTX regular card I don't think my eyeballs will miss the extra FPS in games with a TI version.
I suppose if I kept it for a long time I would get the 2080ti but it would drop in price big time over two year and after the other versions of the cards come out.

EVGFA.jpg

Looks like every other FTW3 for the past 3 gens. Am I missing something?

I hope EVGA has something like the SC Black and two slot card - if you go high you must SLI ;)

Been rocking my Titan X Pascal for 2 years now and probably just going to ride it out until whatever comes after the RTX 2000 series. So far I haven't seen anything that suggests it will be worth the money for me, and I'd rather upgrade the rest of my system which has been together since 2014.

Well going to see what the effect of adding DLSS/Ai on top of original processing adds. I was thinking about this the other day. Could micro-stuttering become an issue? You are adding two engines to the equation. RTX will probably sit idle on 90% of cards but still running through DLSS/Ai supposedly helps speed up frame rates, but at what cost? Could DLSS/Ai negate an advantage leading to that also being turned off? Pretty much leaving owners with more expensive 1080Ti V2's with 20% more speed?

Just a thought I had while staring at my 90 day step and if I was even going to use it. Can't wait to see the reviews. So close.....

Well going to see what the effect of adding DLSS/Ai on top of original processing adds. I was thinking about this the other day. Could micro-stuttering become an issue? You are adding two engines to the equation. RTX will probably sit idle on 90% of cards but still running through DLSS/Ai supposedly helps speed up frame rates, but at what cost? Could DLSS/Ai negate an advantage leading to that also being turned off? Pretty much leaving owners with more expensive 1080Ti V2's with 20% more speed?

Just a thought I had while staring at my 90 day step and if I was even going to use it. Can't wait to see the reviews. So close.....

I am pretty sure Jensen said how much DLSS adds in the keynote but I am not going to go back and watch it. I think it was less than a millisecond, something so unnoticeable I didn’t commit it to memory.

Most of the heavy lifting is done at nVidia’s super computers. The tensor cores just apply a few million variables to the image.

I think it was less than a millisecond

While I'll point out, as I'm absolutely sure you're aware, that the milliseconds 'add up', I also don't expect this to have a significant impact in most gaming scenarios, and on those that it does, disabling it is on the table.

And like the inference engines being put into mobile SoCs, what Nvidia learns with DLSS this generation will inform future hardware refinements that almost certainly will include the reduction in processing time needed.

Well, NVIDIA has so well locked down the release driver that I do not think there is any way we will hit release date for the 2080.

2080 embargo is currently 9/17 at 8am CDT.

2080 Ti is 9/20 at 8am CDT currently. 2080 Ti is possibly going to be pushed back. Dunno yet.

We can get drivers, but we cannot get "release" drivers, and quite frankly, without good drivers, we do not want to do a review. So all in all, we will still be "late."

No worries here. Looking forward to your reviews. Thanks for the transparency.

To sum up; Raw performance gains in existing games is what I'm interested in and will determine if I consider it worth it. If I'm getting 20% improvement for a 50% price bump, that's a hard pill to swallow.

RTX extensions are a SIDE STEP in terms of quality because you have to lower your resolution to run it at a reasonable framerate from everything I can tell.

I would be more interested in raw performance improvements in existing games (especially VR) to justify the price.

But if NVIDIA expects me to pay a premium for RTX alone, I'll likely wait until 7nm comes out and there are more RTX circuits. I want something that is more future proof for that much money. Barely running 1080p on today's games isn't going to cut it.

MSI 980Ti SeaHawk is my current card for my 1440P Asus monitor. Everything I play I max and it plays fine so I am not seeing the need right now.

RTX extensions are a SIDE STEP in terms of quality because you have to lower your resolution to run it at a reasonable framerate from everything I can tell.

Honestly we should wait for reviews; we really just can't 'tell' right now. We have sideshow comments from developers putting together late alpha work.

But if NVIDIA expects me to pay a premium for RTX alone, I'll likely wait until 7nm comes out and there are more RTX circuits.

I think we're all here. I'm not even interested- I paid US$700 for my watercooled 1080Ti, and I'd likely net paying that much to step up after its sale and getting a decently cooled 2080Ti.

Now, I should say that I am interested in RTX, but it's not the highest thing on the list given where I'm coming from. If I were coming from lower though I definitely would be.

I want something that is more future proof for that much money.

There's no such thing ;)

MSI 980Ti SeaHawk is my current card for my 1440P Asus monitor. Everything I play I max and it plays fine so I am not seeing the need right now.

That's my card!

seems there are drivers now maybe you could get set from some one and get the early scoop
Drivers available to those that signed the NDA and are on NVIDIA's list. Even the drivers the AIBs have, are limited on functionality. You cannot play games on those drivers.

So embargo has been pushed for both cards to the same day, the 19th at 8am CDT....as of right now.

Reviewers that have signed the NV NDA, and have been identified by the AIB to NVIDIA, will have to log into a site to get drivers, that driver will install, then it will erase all the files needed for install. There is telemetry in the driver as well, and this came from an NV employee, he told me NV could narrow down with fair accuracy where exactly the card is being used geographically.

Good grief, Nvidia turned paranoid, it is just a damn card. Secret drivers with uber control methods, telemetry to figure out location - What is next? A hit squad if a reviewer speaks the truth if they find anything negative? Nvidia better have something very good or the shit is going to hit the fan.

Good grief, Nvidia turned paranoid, it is just a damn card. Secret drivers with uber control methods, telemetry to figure out location - What is next? A hit squad if a reviewer speaks the truth if they find anything negative? Nvidia better have something very good or the shit is going to hit the fan.

This is standard practice. AMD does the same shit.

I'd rather [H] review with what mere mortals have access to anyway (not that my opinion matters as I'm not in the market for an RTX card of any stripe). Even if I were in the market, I'd wait for the [H] review anyway. The appeal for the new shiny is outweighed by the no-BS information provided by this site.

Reactions: noko
like this
I'd rather [H] review with what mere mortals have access to anyway (not that my opinion matters as I'm not in the market for an RTX card of any stripe). Even if I were in the market, I'd wait for the [H] review anyway. The appeal for the new shiny is outweighed by the no-BS information provided by this site.
Exactly, the process Nvidia appears to be forcing down those who participate with Nvidia looks to be so tainted that I will find it hard to believe much of anything coming out of those reviewers. Need a more scientific neutral review and just saying it how it is - then the owner reviews ( not the initial fanboy ones but the ones like after a month or so).

I'll be sure to post up a fanboy video when I get my Ti's. ;)
lol, generalizations (my part) can fall short. Well I will be looking forward to your experience and results. Particularly DLAA stuff and flexibility this option may allow, IQ improvement or degradation with performance improvement. As for RT stuff, that will just have to wait until a serious game developer has had some time with it. All very exciting stuff pushing the envelope but maybe at this point in time not very usable.

Nvidia is usually pretty good at having good developer support, tools and software to help developers. I hope we see some demo's that can be downloaded and tried out. The old fashion way for new very advance tech.

Back