Poll If you had the choice between 7700k or i-7 6950x

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by UnrealCpu, Jan 7, 2017.

If you had a choice and money was not a factor would you take Kaby Lake 7700k or i7-6950X?

1. i-7 6950X Extreme Edition 10 Core, 4.2Ghz or more possibly?

73.6%
  2. i-7 7700k Kaby Lake overclocked to 5GHZ

26.4%
  1. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

If money is no factor and you base it on productivity , gaming , and overall experience for future proofing.

Also consider depreciation and new options on Z270 motherboards for Kaby Lake and much bigger IPC improvement .

Does the 6950X have any future in gaming such as star citizen or any future games where more than 4 cores will help?

Or would you rather take the IPC advantage with the 7700k and have less performance in productivity , using CAD, movie making etc or just having multiple programs open at once. Maybe Virtual Machines?

2. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

Neither. 6950X is shit for its insane cost sadly, otherwise I would've upgraded day 1.

5960X or 14C/28t+ Xeon if you're going X99

Climber and rat like this.
  3. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

The thread has been re edited

make sure you cast your vote!

4. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

5. thesmokingman

thesmokingman 2[H]4U

Is this a trick question?

Xinmosni likes this.
  6. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

OP is basically asking whether he should get a Ferrari or Vette, money "not a factor"

It's a factor. If it's not, you wouldn't have asked.

whateverer likes this.
  7. lolfail9001

lolfail9001 Gawd

I mean, lutjens has a point: overclocked 6950X is easily better than most of Xeon line-up except 2679 and 2697+ chips.

8. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, but if we're talking strictly about gaming, its inability to overclock well compared to Haswell-E start to make it less of a stellar offering.

If talking about multipurpose, only a fool would buy one over a comparable/higher-end Xeon when the main allure of it was supposed to be its unlocked core count (which goes unused in almost all games sadly, and for those which use more than 6c any lower-clocked Xeon will be fine since the game ends up GPU-hungry in the end). That goes out the window when OC takes a step backwards when you pay double for the extra, oft-unused cores which end up being useful only in non-gaming scenarios where a Xeon would've made more sense.

Great as a future upgrade option if prices go down. Otherwise lame for first-time X99 adopters.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  9. Shintai

Shintai 2[H]4U

7700K, easy one.

10. lolfail9001

lolfail9001 Gawd

The point is that 6950X is faster than about any Xeon for the price. In tasks that scale to any amount of cores.

Shintai likes this.
  11. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

True. For that scenario I could recommend at its current price. Those use-cases are very few and far between though, considering.

12. drlqpham

drlqpham n00bie

I'd sacrifice the benefits of the 7700k for the better overall performance I'd get with the 6950X. You might not feel the IPC advantage, but you'll feel the extra cores when doing multi core related tasks.

13. thesmokingman

thesmokingman 2[H]4U

If I didn't have to pay for it, I'd get the 6950x w/o thinking, it's a no brainer.

14. bwang

bwang Gawd

if I were handed given a choice between the two systems and told I could keep one, I would keep the 6950X no questions asked.
    however, if I were building a rig for daily use I would pick the 7700K; the 6950X is temperamental to overclock and has very poor single threaded performance compared to the 7700K (16% clock deficit, 10-15% IPC deficit), so you'll always have that nagging worry that your single-threaded performance is holding you back, and X99 is archaic in comparison to Z270.

15. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

Have you guys considered the 7700k is on average overclocking to 5ghz?
    I have also been considering the idle power usage as well on the 6950x is alot higher then the 7700k , almost 50-70watts? correct me if i am wrong but this is a rough estimate.
    I just wish programmers would at least take advantage of at least 6 cores. Not sure if gaming consoles are holding us back or what

16. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

If it's for gaming the 7700k
    I'd take the higher clocks over a lot more cores any day

Even if you're doing video editing for a hobby

There is actually not that much free software that could benefit from all those cores
    It's not like gaming +streaming/recording takes a lot of CPU power away
    Usually you would let the graphics card handle that :ROFLMAO:

And if you're investing thousands of bucks into software, tart could actually use all those cores, then you would go with the 10 core anyway

Better save the cash, put more ram in and a bigger M2 SSD
    Like 1 or 2 TB from Samsung

I think if anything consoles would help us from this moment forward

Before this generation consoles were strange creations CPU wise
    Just because the Cell processor had like 16 cores didn't mean games looked any way better than on PC
    Now they are AMD parts

Not just easier to port, but since its PC parts, more or less, doing optimization towards multithreading would (hopefully) benefit PC gaming as well

Also im happy about my 7600k with 5ghz prime stable on air
    Maybe I can get it prime stable at 5.2 under water :D

But seriously
    Most things gaming related would benefit (if at all) more from a +800-1000Mhz boost then 6 more cores/12 more threads

17. Aluminum

Aluminum Limp Gawd

Neither, I got my 2696v4 (NOT ES, 1 turbo bin better than 2699v4) for $1600 and it was a big ebay bucks day too :) For truly multi threaded stuff far better than an unlocked 10 core, not to mention BW-E overclocks suck.
    I built a 6700k and Titan XP for gaming this xmas.

Xinmosni likes this.
  18. lutjens

lutjens Gawd

i7-6950X is not at all temperamental to overclock...you just hit a wall. Once you get there, you back off slightly. Nothing hard about it at all. It may not overclock to 5GHz, but the multi-threaded performance of an i7-6950X@4.2GHz is impressive to say the least.

You say X99 is archaic...yet I have a full 40x lanes without worrying about a stir stick DMI interface choking throughput. I'd rather an older chipset that has higher performance potential than a newer one that has limited potential. Less chance of new chipset issues as well...;)

Xinmosni likes this.
  19. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardness Supreme

I have a 7700k and 270 mb coming next week. Son wanted a faster clocked cpu. So i get his 5960x which should be fun to play with.
    Hopefully all goes well.
    Seems Intel is super baby stepping these cpu's....