POLL: Higher Resolution? Or Higher GFX Settings with Lower Rez?

Of the 2 choices in the title, Which one?

• Higher Resolution

Votes: 74 52.9%
  • Higher Graphics Settings with a lower resolusion

Votes: 66 47.1%

• Total voters

MYSTic Jedi

Limp Gawd
Not quite sure were to post this one, but something i have been pondering for a while now, If you had to choose between the 2 choices, which would would you go for? I am asking this because of a futurer monitor upgrade, either a Dell 2007 or 2407. (And please dont bring up the desktop space issue, i am well aware of it. ;)) Thanks for the info!

It really depends on the game. Some games look fairly decent at low settings so turning them down doesn't bother me much. Other look like complete ass at lowest settings. It also depends on your monitor. If you have a CRT you may not want to have to recallabrate it depending on res and refresh rate. If you have an LCD and your not running it at it's native resolution it looks terrible. Overall I usually choose resolution over detail settings.

I found its easier to play at 16x12 than something lower w/ 4xAA. Plus the higher you go the more it smooths the edges so AA isnt needed as much, or in my case, at all.

I never go below 1 setting under the native res. I'd rather lower settings after that.

LCD - Always native res

CRT - Higher res wins over low res w/jacked settings (95% of the time)

I usually play at a lower res with higher gfx options. Only game where i've gone for higher rez was Tomb Raider Legends. I actually think it looks better WITHOUT the next gen content.

Luckily though lowering resolution is generally not needed for my system at the moment. Can generally play everything full whack rather well. Admittedly i do consider 20fps playable for most games.

Only game i've had to lower the resolution on at the moment, was the Call of Juarez demo. Had to drop from 1920x1200 to 1280x800 :(

Depends. Higher resolution = stay at native resolution or higher resolution = get a higher res monitor?

If I'm on LCD I always stay at native...otherwise, if the game's current I'll easily take all the graphical pretties turned on in the game with a lower res than a high res with no content.

I would go higher rez because my monitors native res is only 1024x768, so I leave it at that resolution because 800x600 looks horrible... i only have a 6600 gt :(

AF improves texture quality in a way high resolution never could.

I actually just play all my games at 1280x960 with max detail, at least have been able to in any game i've tried, so I will say I prefer lower resolutions with higher detail then the other way around.

Better gfx settings FTW.

Just look at the Ruby demos ATI puts out. Graphics are phenominal, but the res is only 1024/768...

I voted higher rez. Coming from a lcd that could only do 1280x768 I missed the higher rez offered by my crt's. Granted now i've got 1 nec 20wmgx2 and viwsonic 2025xwm. Given options I would like even higher. (1920x1200 if hardware could run it.) :)

Lower rez with higher graphics settings.. Mainly because in SOME games the HUD and on screen message text gets to small to read.. Especialy in a few older titles, the font size just won't go high enough to be easily read once you get past 1600x1200 ..
And, unfortunately, I bought a 19inch lcd with a native rez of 1280x1024 after my 24 inch Sony CRT died..
With my 1900xt, and that lcd, it is pretty much, 1280x1024 with eye candy maxed in most any game.. Fear and Oblivion are a couple of exeptions..

Even if I weren't on a Dell 2005FPW widescreen 20" LCD with a native resolution of 1680x1050, I'd still want higher resolution over quality settings ingame (obviously 16xAF is ALWAYS a neccessity). As it is though, I always make sure I stay at 1680x1050, scaling sucks :D.

I recently switched from a 17" LCD to a 19" LCD because I figured that running my games at 1280x1024 with more eye candy would be just as good as running a higher resolution.

Then I actually played a game at 1600x1200. So last month, even though it was not going to be cost effective for me, I gave the 19" to my mom (she really did need a new one :) ) and got myself a 20" Samsung 204B with a max res of 1600x1200.

Now I have no problem sacrificing some image quality just so I can play at 1600x1200.

I'm already planning my next LCD purchase and it's going to be a 24" or higher widescreen.

Higher resolution wins hands down :)

With my card that's an easy answer resolution; because quite frankly 2AA and 2xAF cripple my 4200.

It depends on the game...
Usually I will play around with the resolutions and gfx settings untill I find a combination that i'm happy with.

Eye candy is great, but in some games there is a clear advantage with the high resolution.
If I am at a lan party, I will turn off almost all eye candy and opt for the higher resolution..but like I said, It depends on the game. (and then there are some games like starcraft, that you cant change the resoultion on... and everyone is equal...)

higher resolutions/native resolution and slowly take off graphic settings to improve performace

Back