Poll: Have video games driven you to violence?

Have video games caused you to be a violent human being?

• Yes, I am a violent person because of video games.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • No, I am not, stop being a tool.

Votes: 136 82.9%

• Total voters
People are violent in nature, so playing video games and watching violent movies is a way to calm ones violent nature, so in conclusion video games create a better society to live in. :D

I saw a teenager who was shot yesterday half a block away from me. Heard them empty a clip and then saw a bloodied guy running through the townhouse complex a short time later. Didn't see the actual shooting. Turns out, he was running to the hospital a few blocks away. While shot in the side of his body.

I doubt the shooter is going to blame video games rather growing up in the hood and seeing violence in real life. My area is not terribly bad or very safe, just in between. Ghetto folks moving in from other cities....

There have been several times where I've cussed while playing a game but that's pretty much the extent of it. Never have I tossed a keyboard or mouse (or anything else for that matter) or used violence against another human being due to a dissapointment in a game.

Games are meant for enjoyment, relaxation and just good, all-out fun. I really can't see why anyone would get so pissed over a video game to enact physical violence on people in real life.

This is the same thing about guns. Guns dont kill people, people kill people. Video games dont make people violent, they are violent on their own will.

...and Americans are more violent than other people -- we're just better shots.

For me? Hell no. But I would consider myself more mentally stable then most.

I don't think that by design violent video games breed violent people but it depends on that individuals attachment to reality as a whole. If a person is a borderline sociopath then perhaps violent video games might trigger a complete split from morality. But you could make the argument that because that person was borderline to begin with any violent event could have done the same thing.

Which would lead me to conclude that violence is in the hands of the individuals who cause it. Video games don't command you to run out and stab your neighbor , your fucked up absence of morality did.

I was practically an angel before games. Now, I run people down with my car, hack them to death and eat their flesh.

I think the general populace drives me to violence.

I play violent video games and listen to violent music and feel very relaxed at home. As soon as I get in the car and go somewhere I want to choke the life out of someone.

I sometimes imagine, "what if I got into a fight with that person across the street" but that comes more from taking JKD concepts. I don't think about going on COD shooting rampages. I'm a big peacemaker. I hate interpersonal conflict (which can still include a healthy and lively debate). I couldn't hurt a fly, unless the fly pushed me first.

Nope, no video game influences.

Weird poll, Fail...

Meh... you can only take that logic so far. Certainly people can be trained to shoot others. Certainly people can be trained to be violent. But video games aren't a very effective training tool in this instance.

I play/ed all kinds of games growing up and now and I detest real world violence.

It's even more simple than that -- the comparison does not work at all in this instance since guns are weapons having the purpose to harm whereas games have the purpose to entertain.

Its been prove scientifically that violent video games do cause aggression in people.

Uh, probably not.

One time I was at an arcade when I was four or so. I played that game - Rampage, was it? - the one where you play as some giant monster and you climb up apartment buildings and punch holes in them and eat the people inside. When I got home I climbed on top of this kiddy table that I had and pounded my chest and roared a few times and then picked up the table and swung it around for a bit.

That's probably the most "violent" thing I had ever done as a direct result of video games, and that was when I was four. I've never physically attacked anybody nor felt the temptation to do so as a result of video games. The most I do is pound my keyboard a few times but that's it really.

If anything, I think video games actually calm me down. I used to do crazy things whenever I was upset or angry, but nowadays I hop on WoW and do some PvP or play some BC2 or something, which is probably a lot healthier and safer than all the shit I used to do whenever I was stressed.

It's a serious question, since magazines, politicians, web sites, other talking heads say that video games cause us to be violent motherfuckers.

They do that to cause a stir and to get more hits/sales in whatever medium they are spouting their BS.

This argument is sooooo old and boring and has been argued more times that I can remember. GTA doesn't make you wanna go out on a murderous spree unless your tapped in the head. Mortal Kombat doesn't make you wanna decapitate someone unless your tapped in the head. Funnily enough normal ppl can distinguish between real life and fantasy, right and wrong. If you can't then you need help, serious help.

/end of discussion.

The notion that VIDEOGAMES make people violent is rediculous beyond belief. There are roughly, generally 2 types of people in this world. Violent assholes and reasonable people. You are born as one of the two. Wether or not you choose to play videogames in life has nothing to do with it. Most gamers I've ever met were (even quite whimpy pacifists read Geeks) reasonable people. Most of the assholes usually do other things with their lives. If videogames made you violent I should think action movies would too?, but nobody is talking about that. Apparantly that is redicuolous but this isn't? Amazes me man. You can't be a cognitively normal adult and honestly believe frickin videogames somehow influences people to become violent. Did I mention it's rediculous?

Also wether or not you throw a controller when you get frustrated while playing a videogame has nothing to do with it. There's a huge difference between throwing something out of frustration and throwing something AT someone deliberatley to hurt that someone. Come on now people.

I'm not arguing that video games cause violence in the slightest, but I could understand how someone who isn't in the know could draw that conclusion and its not that stupid to assume games may cause violence when movies and books wouldn't. When I'm watching a movie I'm always very external from the movie compared to how involved I get with games. Even when games had comparably shit graphics I used to get far more scares out of scary video games than out of scary movies because I'd always be more immersed in a game world than a movie world.

That may not be true of everyone, but for many (me included) it is. I mean, I'd get bored as all fuck if a TV show was half an hour of war-movie style violence with barely any story and would probably be disgusted after a while at the crying soldiers and limbs getting blown off... but I'll play a game for 20 hours that is nothing but similar violence and almost no story and laugh as I put a bullet in the leg of a soldier who is crying because his arm is blown off and trying to run away :p I can understand how that would look fucked up to the external observer.

Nope. I'm not a violent person, aggressive maybe but that is more due to training in the military and growing up in a boxing ring. Video games have been a passive hobby of mine since the early 80's.

Are you implying this is a loaded poll? Nah, couldn't be :p

I find it refreshingly simple. It is a simple yes or no answer. Yes it could have been worded differently be we all know what is being implied here.

If anyone actually became violent due to video games, it's only because they have a weak will/mind/emotional state.

These individuals are susceptible from any inputs, not just games. It isn't the games fault, it's the individuals condition.

I doubt if any of the 20 yes votes are real honest responses, plus the poll question isn't a simple yes/no question. Violence is a qualitative concept. What level of violence? It could mean anything from yelling at a team-mate for missing an objective, to shooting someone in the head to see if it looks the same as in your game.

The closest I've come to violence is stamping the floor a bit when getting my ass kicked in a half life 2 deathmatch tournament .

121 people are lying. Unleash the inner beast people, it is far healthier in the long run.

I am only guilty of unleashing my violent tendency in video games. In Postal 2, I always kill more people than necessary, over and over again. Sometimes I just enjoy standing on a rooftop watching the people below running around in fire.:D

But despite years of virtual violence, it has never encourage me to actually want to shoot up an entire town or set people on fire.

Yes, I smashed up a PS2 by repeatedly slamming it into a curb because consoles give me violent thoughts toward consoles. If I could, I would violentely murder every console out there made post 1999 (Dreamcast gets final exemption).

Once while driving I found myself calculating cash point values of billboards and tractor trailers after a Burnout session. Took me a moment to realize that that wasn't normal.

But I didn't act on it. So no, not violent.

Back