Poll: Have video games driven you to violence?

Have video games caused you to be a violent human being?

• Yes, I am a violent person because of video games.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • No, I am not, stop being a tool.

Votes: 136 82.9%

• Total voters

Shalafi

Fully [H]
Simple question, simple answers, let's all have a show of hands here.

Honest answers of course.

Video games didnt do it. Becoming a Marine, deploying twice, and being a Police Officer sure did though.

Not enough options in your poll. I cant vote no to video games, because I believe I am violent. But not because of video games.

Video games didnt do it. Becoming a Marine, deploying twice, and being a Police Officer sure did though.

Not enough options in your poll. I cant vote not to video games, because I believe I am violent. But not because of video games.

I appreciate your service to our country sir. That said, you're ABSOLUTELY positive that it wasn't the video games?

Forgive me for asking, but patronize me by answering that question even though I know the answer already?

heatlessun seems to believe that video games cause someone to become a violent man bent on mayhem and destruction, I'm here to prove that wrong by making this poll and having you gentlemen give your answers.

I appreciate your service to our country sir. That said, you're ABSOLUTELY positive that it wasn't the video games?

Forgive me for asking, but patronize me by answering that question even though I know the answer already?

heatlessun seems to believe that video games cause someone to become a violent man bent on mayhem and destruction, I'm here to prove that wrong by making this poll and having you gentlemen give your answers.

Yes I am sure it wasnt video games. Im older, and grew up on Nintendo, and Sega. And play pretty much anything now, but role playing crap. I like action, favorite being first person shooters.

I am violent because I was trained to be, by several entities. Black belt in Marine Corps MCMAP. As an Officer, my beat is one of the worst, and things happen all the time. We never act first, but we react and take command of a situation.

I got back from Afghan last Nov, and there was plenty of violence where I was at. I like it, and I like the adrenaline that comes with it. Only one instance was that one on one though, mostly just long range shooting, and getting blown up.

All that being said. I have never started a single fight. I don't go out looking for trouble. But I dont back down when it comes and finds me, or others I am supposed to protect. I have two kids and been married for 16+ years. Never has my actions caused any marital problems.

So no it wasnt video games. I voted the second option for you.

Yes I am sure it wasnt video games. Im older, and grew up on Nintendo, and Sega. And play pretty much anything now, but role playing crap. I like action, favorite being first person shooters.

I am violent because I was trained to be, by several entities. Black belt in Marine Corps MCMAP. As an Officer, my beat is one of the worst, and things happen all the time. We never act first, but we react and take command of a situation.

I got back from Afghan last Nov, and there was plenty of violence where I was at. I like it, and I like the adrenaline that comes with it. Only one instance was that one on one though, mostly just long range shooting, and getting blown up.

All that being said. I have never started a single fight. I don't go out looking for trouble. But I dont back down when it comes and finds me, or others I am supposed to protect. I have two kids and been married for 16+ years. Never has my actions caused any marital problems.

So no it wasnt video games. I voted the second option for you.

Again, thank you for your service. I understand completely how you were trained to be the person you are, yesterday, and today, and for all time.

It doesn't surprise me that you like FPS games since it's something you have a familiar experience with in reality, so you're used to it.

I approve fully of your post and I pray that all our soldiers come back home safe.

That said, it seems asinine that people really believe that video games cause someone to be violent.

It's an easy scapegoat for people to point at to distract from the failures of society and absolve parents of parental responsibility.

Last time I hit someone was years ago for shoving my pregnant wife. I am not even sure I would have been able to keep my man card if I had not shoved back in that situation. I play video games to unwind, have fun, and compete with some buds. I do not go fire up CS, get all raged up cause I suck, well I don't suck, I just am not all that good at it, naw I do suck at CS, raaaaage, then go grab up the old Saiga 12, and go have me a LA Postal moment.

If you voted yes on this poll, please elaborate here and tell us exactly how they caused you to become a man of mayhem.

This is the same thing about guns. Guns dont kill people, people kill people. Video games dont make people violent, they are violent on their own will.

violence? no, better hand eye coordination so that when I do decide to be violent I can shoot a gun better, yes...

VIOLENCE! GRRRRR!!!! RAAAAGE!

No, I've always been kinda touchy at times and games seem to help me mellow out, depending on if things go my way.

This is the same thing about guns. Guns dont kill people, people kill people. Video games dont make people violent, they are violent on their own will.
Meh... you can only take that logic so far. Certainly people can be trained to shoot others. Certainly people can be trained to be violent. But video games aren't a very effective training tool in this instance.

I play/ed all kinds of games growing up and now and I detest real world violence.

I've been playing video games my whole life and I have yet to take a chainsaw to somebodies face.

Yet......

Again, thank you for your service. I understand completely how you were trained to be the person you are, yesterday, and today, and for all time.

It doesn't surprise me that you like FPS games since it's something you have a familiar experience with in reality, so you're used to it.

I approve fully of your post and I pray that all our soldiers come back home safe.

That said, it seems asinine that people really believe that video games cause someone to be violent.

It's an easy scapegoat for people to point at to distract from the failures of society and absolve parents of parental responsibility.

After re-reading my thread, I think I came off wrong. I dont think Im some "billy bad @ss" and walk around with a chip on my shoulder. Ive been beaten up before, and Im sure it will happen again. I enjoy the artistry of martial arts, and enjoy sparing/grappling. I also "enjoy" real fights/combat, because adrenaline is flowing fast. Once you've been on that high where there is a real chance you can die, its hard to match that.

I personally find it ironic that I like the modern combat games the best. Like BC2. You'd think Id be tired of it, but I can relate to it and enjoy that part of it.

I agree its a scapegoat, but only for those ignorant of the facts. There have been plenty of terrible people in the past, well before video games, or even TV were invented. The Columbine High School massacre really put video games on the spot, because they were said to have played video games. Doom or Quake I think?

No, if i didnt have games, then yes I think id be an angry person..

Nothing better than blowing off some steam, by blowing someone away in GTA4, then continuously running over the body. :)

Yesterday I played 10 hours of TF2. It's free now so I tried it. No violence, just a gaming hangover. I'll go back to my RTS' now. ;)

Playing singleplayer...never.

Playing multiplayer with irritating little fuckfaces who wont do what they said they would and keep missing because they are irritating little pieces of shit...never.

But still multiplayer is 240565923245607654324356923459x more irritating because of the human element. But thats not really the fault of games.

I was a saint before I started playing video games, now I cruise by local schools and steal lunch money.

I was a saint before I started playing video games, now I cruise by local schools and steal lunch money.

You sir, are a cravenous thug, they should interview you to get a better understanding of how video games influenced this craven turn in the path of your life. :p

Games have made more of a pacifist. If I have some aggression going on, I fire up an FPS and take it out on the enemy characters.

Games didn't make me violent. I don't consider myself a violent person, but the world around me has done far more harm to me than some video games.

Video games made me more likely to relieve stress in a healthy way (shooters, killing hookers, driving like a maniac) then in an unhealthy way.

Yeah totally, I'm constantly running people down in my car after long gaming sessions.

Other than the occasional bout of nerdrage over campers and noobtoobers, no.

Exactly! Games don't cause violence, gamers do.

Look at any occurances of gamer violence, its always because of multiplayer :D (and in experiences probably deserved and coming to them anyway...)

Every night after a frustrating Gears of War session, I go upstairs, get a chainsaw out of the garage, and kill someone on the street with it. :mad:

Video games make me do it! :mad:

violence? no, better hand eye coordination so that when I do decide to be violent I can shoot a gun better, yes...

I hope that's sarcasm because video games teach absolutely nothing about how to shoot a gun.

Now camping out in someone's front yard or sneaking into your ex girlfriend's house... :)

Does throwing a controller or hitting a keyboard count?

If it does then I'm guilty. I've lost a couple keyboard trays off desks and keyboards to some in-game RAAAAAGGEEEE. And my poor NES controllers when I had them... :(

I think a more interesting poll would have been "Have you been stressed out or suffered from increased anger as a result of a video game and how often does this occur?"

I think a more interesting poll would have been "Have you been stressed out or suffered from increased anger as a result of a video game and how often does this occur?"

Interesting or real debate wasn't the point, here. :p

Back