Poll: Half of Americans Call Facebook a Fad

HardOCP News

[H] News
Only fifty percent of the country thinks Facebook is a fad? That number seems a bit low doesn't it? Must've been a Facebook poll. ;)

Half of Americans think Facebook is a passing fad, according to the results of a new Associated Press-CNBC poll. And, in the run-up to the social network's initial public offering of stock, half of Americans also say the social network's expected asking price is too high.

I have that and all other social media blocked on my network kids don't need this crap. And i don't think anyone else does. Hope it all goes away.

Fuck Facebook. The only reason why I created an account was because I needed it for a job.

As proven by MySpace a social network can fall from favor at the drop of a hat. The next big thing comes along and FB is dead.

True, but the amount of money facebook has, I do not believe it will go away for a while.

They actually try to innovate... even though most of it is questionable, but they remain profitable.

You can't deny that the fb logo is plastered everywhere.

Facebook itself may not be around forever, but social networking as we know it today has become an integral part of how people connect and interact with one another, and it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

True, but the amount of money facebook has, I do not believe it will go away for a while.

They actually try to innovate... even though most of it is questionable, but they remain profitable.

You can't deny that the fb logo is plastered everywhere.

Well, according to data that has been captured, a strong majority of Facebook users only use Facebook on a mobile device. The problem here is that they have no advertising on mobile Facebook applications, and therefore no revenue stream at all. The company has been incredibly reluctant to build upon the mobile applications, so they may start losing money before long.

As proven by MySpace a social network can fall from favor at the drop of a hat. The next big thing comes along and FB is dead.
Certainly. But does that make Facebook a "fad"? Given how I think most would interpret the word, no, I don't think so.

Yeah call me an old man, but kids need to socialize out in the real world, not on computers.

I wish Facebook would just go away. I liked the South Park episode about Facebook. I feel about it like Stan did.

Blocking it on your network is stupidity. You may not like it, but your kids are going to use it no matter what you think. Accept it for what it is, and demand they give you access so you can keep tabs on them. If anything it just makes tracking them far easier.

I don't personally use FB and have zero intention or reason to ever do so. However my wifes does and I am sure my kids will. It makes it amazingly easy on me to track their activities.

Their "innovation" seems to be a lot like Microsoft's innovation though. Basically just copying/stealing/buying other company's good ideas. It seems to work okay for Microsoft though, so maybe that's the way to go. :cool:

Can't blame America for that assumption. Social Networks are not that *new* anymore. People probably think it'll become another Myspace.

However I don't think that's going to happen with Facebook. At least not anytime soon by any means.

Can't blame America for that assumption. Social Networks are not that *new* anymore. People probably think it'll become another Myspace.

However I don't think that's going to happen with Facebook. At least not anytime soon by any means.

+1. I am on both sides. I do believe something else will come along and then facebook will die, but as you said I believe that won't happen for at least 3-4 years and even that is probably short, maybe 9-10 years even.

SOPA, is that you?

No but every fight in school my kids ever talk about is generated by the constant information flowing thru these sites. My daughter sees this with allot of her friends and has no problem with avoiding these sites. Kids have enough to worry about without the constant flow of possible harassment. I teach my kids that there education is there main focus and it has worked very well. They will have a hard time in life if they are not the best they can be when it comes time for them to step out into the working world.

The only thing that will make FB go away is when something EVEN MORE disgusting and insidious comes along. Hard to think about it.

Facebook and other social services are just the next bubble to pop. Similar to dot com and the housing market, but obviously for different reasons.

Personally I cannot wait and will not miss it when they're gone. I hate any "business" that predominantly "makes" money through advertising. They're bound to fail eventually and I welcome that failure in a society where we have a lot of unemployment, decreasing production/manufacturing jobs, yet increasing "white collar we don't really PROVIDE to the economy" jobs.

just like myspace is now geocities for bands, one day facebook will likely just be newgrounds for old ladies. All it will take is for something newer and more convenient to come along and gain popularity, which gets which gets more and more likely with each stupid UI shift which facebook forces through

Meh, the sooner it dies the better.
People use to call or visit one another. That is the kind of social interchange I prefer.

Once everyone gets tired of facebook like myspace then everyone will migrate to a new service. Its just a matter of time.

I've moved on from Facebook. I still check it once or twice a month, as it keeps me in contact with some old friends and family... My other use was more for a news feed, which Google+ seems to have filled that void. Much more relevant.

Do you make an exception for HardOCP?

They're not a place of business as far as I know. :) So no exception needed, but if they were, I'd still not make an exception.

All this online stuff is great for entertainment, a little boredom use, but it shouldn't be controlling or dominating our lives!

To me, as long as people are communicating, it doesn't really matter what's the communication medium used. Once upon a time, there was no telephone and talking face to face was the only way of socializing. But I don't recall my grandparents telling me to put the phone down and go outside and talk to the neighbors. I'd rather keep in touch with my friends whom I knew so well from school rather than some random people living nearby just for the sake of "going outside and socialize"

Yet here we are, telling people to turn off the computer and go outside or call someone. Is there really any point to that when the people we care to socialize with is not within reach of a face to face conversation? Do we just do it for the sake of having one such socializing method?

Sometimes the people we want to keep in touch with is too far away for us to meet them, and the easiest and most cost effective way to keep in touch is through the internet. And if that's the case, so be it. The most important thing, to me at least, is to keep in touch with the people we want to keep in touch with.

a friend commented to me 'its when your parents, grand parents, and extended family contact you on facebook the younger generation will want something else'.

Heck, we do...remember what got you into facebook? COLLEGE STUDENTS ONLY.

I want THAT back.

So, what was your main focus when you were a kid?

Even if he wasn't able to live up to all his dreams, that doesn't mean he can't try to ensure a better future for his children. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

(To the person this is referring to, I have no idea of your life circumstances and this is just a generalized comment in response to wonderfield, so don't take any offense by it!)

What are you talking about, they absolutely are. What do you think Genmay subscriptions, advertisements, referral links, and RatPadz are?

Not to mention the AMD Lan, sponsorships, and review samples... they're getting reimbursed for their work, which is fine, but let's call a spade a spade, KB Networks Inc. is a business, not a charity that solely exists to help provide overclocking enthusiasts with "free" information to enrich their lives.

No but every fight in school my kids ever talk about is generated by the constant information flowing thru these sites. My daughter sees this with allot of her friends and has no problem with avoiding these sites. Kids have enough to worry about without the constant flow of possible harassment. I teach my kids that there education is there main focus and it has worked very well. They will have a hard time in life if they are not the best they can be when it comes time for them to step out into the working world.

Pfft. My Dad going through school in the 50s has better school yard fight stories than I do. Social media may be the topic of fights, but that doesn't mean they're the cause of them.

Also, teaching kids "their education is their main focus" is bullshit because school is less about education and more about keeping them out of the way and getting them to conform to social standards. I missed several years of school due to illness and bounced back without a worry. I learnt most of the last 4 years of high school in a single semester, getting marks high enough to place me supposedly in the top 3% of the country, enough to get me into the aero engineering degree I wanted and follow up with post grad.

I think if most mildly intelligent people actually focused purely on education in school they'd be bored out of their mind for the sheer lack of "education" in the education system of most countries.

Huh, back in the old days we found all kinds of good reasons to fight each other, didn't need social networking.

Back