[Poll] [H] WoW Private Server?

Do you like the idea of an [H] WoW Private Server?

• Yes, I think it's a great way to build the [H] Community.

Votes: 67 49.6%
  • No, it's gonna go under like all of the 'others'.

Votes: 68 50.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
why the hell would someone bump this??

i actually posted on this like a year ago..and don't even remember, and totally disagree now with what i said a year ago, haha

Scrap the WoW private server idea because its "Illegal", but some other game would be good. And I bet someone on [H] here has a colo server that would host this.

I am pretty sure they are legal. There is group of 3 servers with 10,000 + players on at all times based in the US or CA. It has been around for years and has not been shut down. If it and the 100s of others like it were illegal then blizzard would have had them shut down years ago.

As far as bugs go, it is almost 100% like retail now. The community is just like a real wow server, along with the population. They have blizzard like servers with normal xp, high xp servers, instant max level servers, etc.

Just because there is people who do it and get away with it, doesn't mean it's legal. It's a grey area for sure, but.... Think about it, you are in essence taking the game and changing aspects of it. Blizzard has the rights to the IP and all the ideas behind it, what do you think changing aspects of the game does? It violates the EULA. On top of it, Blizzard isn't making a dime from it, they have no control over what you do... I don't think that Blizzard would ever allow that.

Well, a few things. First, I think a private server would be fun, and great for the [H] peoples of the world.

Second, the legality of it is an issue, I have no idea where things really stand on that front, I've read a lot for both sides but when it comes to hard facts, I'm not sure other than the Blizz user agreement. I'm pretty sure it = ban.

Finally, someone mentioned that we should just make a guild on some server. Well, we tried that a long time ago. A few things didn't work.
1. Since there are other people on a server and people are inherently impatient, eventually most of the [H] guild had wandered off to other guilds, because they could.
2. a server of [h]ers would be freaking sweet.
3. we would avoid 12 year olds.

what more could you want!?

I think it's a stupid idea when it's a mere $20 a month to play on real, highly populated, quality servers that work perfectly most of the time.

If you're going to be putting any decent amount of time into it, you may as well make the small investment.

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

Are you serious? Private servers are mostly trash. I'm surprised this thread isn't locked.

So what have we learned from this thread?
Private-servers suck,
the best server-emulators (Ascent, MangOS) don't even support WotLK,
don't necropost,
and this guy started getting laid six months ago.

Having said that I quit WoW 6 months ago and have no reason to go back. It's a pretty shitty game once you start getting laid a lot and having a real life.

So what have we learned from this thread?
Private-servers suck,
the best server-emulators (Ascent, MangOS) don't even support WotLK,
don't necropost,
and this guy started getting laid six months ago.

lol was a figure of speech.

Oh man I'd actually love this. The only reason I haven't come back to WoW after 4 years of play is that all my hardcore PvP friends quit or went PvE and I can't afford to now sub, buy WoTLK and transfer servers =/

Wow, I really hope this actually works out Godfather, I'd be all over this.

Don't you guys want to do instances and 25 mans with the [H] crew? That would be awesome! No fucking 12 year olds spamming trade, daily/weekly/monthly events, maybe including pirces, etc... :cool:

Edit: GAH! NECROS

Running a private server (and/or developing one) is a violation of the DMCA (see EFF's discussion of Blizzard vs Bnetd here: http://www.eff.org/cases/blizzard-v-bnetd ) and would be concidered a civil crime, the results of which would probably be fines due to Blizz's lost revenue, court fees and permanent suspension of development.

Not only that, but they can get you for copywrite (sp) violations. Also a civil matter, but they can get you for up to 10x the potential loss of revenue to blizzard for infringing on their copywrite.

(Below is directed at the other its not illegal people)

Illegal does not mean criminal or civil. Illegal means contrary to law, opposite of legal.

Violating DMCA = breaking a law = illegal
Violating copywrite = breaking a law = illegal
Robbing a bank = breaking a law = illegal

P.S Blizzard can ban anyone they want for n o reason at all. All they have to say is "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, anytime, for any reason." Plus, you play on thier servers, they dont have to want to take your $$ With millions of paying customers, 100k gone wouldnt be missed even

The real problem is that under thier EULA you don't own anything, nothing zip, zilch, nada.

the EULA (just like most games) states that when you went to BB or EB or wereever and you purchased that box with that dvd in it, you did not infact buy a video game. No you bought a LICENSE to play that game.

Actually this type of arrangement is somewhat similar to a financial leasing contract where you obtain the right to use the service / good but does not gain actual ownership. Personally this arrangement doesn't bother me though...

Hey folks. I was thinking and this chanced upon my contemplation. What about an [H] Private Server?

We can set up maybe a few volunteers' computers (most likely FiOS subscribers ;)) and rotate once every 3 days or whatever and see how it goes. With donation, maybe this will be a very widespread and famous server?

This would probably bring us as a community closer to each other.

Would the [H] Elite, AKA Kyle, agree to such an idea?

The official word from Blizzard is that the servers themselves are legal, but the thing that isn't so cool is the illegal copying of the CDs to get the game. Since it's downloadable for free from Blizzard anyway...that's not really a factor anymore

Post here if you are for or against.

Please guys, if you vote, post in this thread. Your opinions are much needed on this matter and only through them can any fruitful result be had from this idea.

For legality issues, see an argument here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=291341

If any of the mods/admins think that this shouldn't take place, feel free to lock/delete the thread.

I vote option 3: "this thread will be locked shortly"

edit: lol should have read the rest of this

Private servers are against the EULA, however they are NOT against the law, but I still doubt Kyle would officially give you his blessings.

I say just make one that is Unofficial, people already do that with IRC. Just make sure yous state you are not associated with HardOCP or HardForum.

EULAs are NOT laws.

Blizzard cant make something illegal just by saying so lol.

but yea, official private server is very risky business for [H].

I heard if you run a private server, blizzard will send the feds to your home and trash your place. To top it off, they'll make an awful mess in your bathroom.

Aside from this being against the ToS, I cringe at the thought of how well this would run. It is my understanding that the world is broken into a number of servers, login, continent, instance, etc. One server for all this .... ouch.

Breaking the TOS of blizzard. Kyle will not agree.

EULAs are NOT laws.

Blizzard cant make something illegal just by saying so lol.

but yea, official private server is very risky business for [H].

But, EULAs are infact contracts that each user is agreeing to so they are protected by the LAW. :confused:

But, EULAs are infact contracts that each user is agreeing to so they are protected by the LAW. :confused:

There is no player's bill of rights, although there probably should be. There is no real "law" you are being protected by when someone else clicks agree. It's only up to the whim of Blizzard to decide what to enforce. There's no independent Supreme Court of Warcraft to hear cases like Spammer v. The Public Good, Camper v. Noob, or the dreaded Ninja Looter v. Serious Business Guild.

The reason private servers are illegal comes from the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, which, if you've ever read it, can define a breach in such a way to be just about any god damn thing (most federal laws tend to be that way). I haven't read it since I graduated from law school, but the standards for certain things are so amorphous and poorly defined, and the case law on the subject not anywhere close to developed, so everything is an argument one way or another.

It's kind of like the emulator/rom argument. There probably is a legal way to emulate the server database and call it a fair use, but you just can never play on it, which kind of defeats the purpose. I don't know if you have to break encryption to get the database or what, but that wold be the deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back