Poll: Government Should Censor Games

Does anybody else think Hollywood might be behind all the news and polls regarding how the video game industry is ruining America? Think about it for a minute. Who else has tons of money, has huge leverage in the political arena, and loses money every time a new game comes out because people are sitting at home with family and friends instead of sitting in a dark room with overpriced snacks?

replace in their living rooms with friends and family to in a dark room with cheap snacks.

The First Amendment says "Over my dead body" and the Second Amendment guarantees I won't be the only body!

I'd like to know what their definition of behavior is. Does it mean these kids are going to grow up to be serial killers? What ever happened to just plain crazy??

Honestly, I can't see this poll having any weight what-so-ever. These parent groups and worry warts always come around, every single generation of media. They were there burning books, then they were attacking comics, then movies and television... now the next form of horrible thought twisting media presented onto the children that the parents should have instilled better qualities in is... dun dun dun dah, video games.

It wasn't such a horrible thing in their early life, we had games like pong and pac-man, wholesome family oriented entertainment. Now, with games becoming more cinematic, and children becoming stupided we have this issue of the games becoming too life like. Not only are you shooting a bunch of polygons in the head, but now the A.I reacts more realistically, has damage locations, and looks a heck of a lot better then the ghosts looked in pac-man.

But, the main thing these groups and politicians pushing for censorships are forgetting is that the problem only lies in the hands of the parent. It's not an age thing, it's development, if the child has the proper values instilled as a kid, they are not going to go postal and shoot people because they played a game. North America is definitely forgetting that people here live here because of rights, and for eff-sakes, I would have thought that it's my right to choose to play a game, be it violent or a effing cartoon.

People flip out and kill their whole families and lay bible's all around them.

We sure as hell havent had any studies or surveys into how often the bible makes people kill. I wonder why they never seem to get around to that one?

Pull a Benoit and you were "a troubled man, with mental issuese." Yet somehow when it comes to vg's, the games made em do it.

These are the same book burning idiots (unless it's their precious fairy tale bible of course) who said everyone was going to hell for seeing Elvis wiggle his hips.

New millenium, same BS.

We sure as hell havent had any studies or surveys into how often the bible makes people kill. I wonder why they never seem to get around to that one?

Pull a Benoit and you were "a troubled man, with mental issuese." Yet somehow when it comes to vg's, the games made em do it.

These are the same book burning idiots (unless it's their precious fairy tale bible of course) who said everyone was going to hell for seeing Elvis wiggle his hips.

New millenium, same BS.

This is true. Religion is the number one cause of violence in the world. Think you can stamp out video games and television shows? Try stamping out religion. You'll get nowhere fast.

Sorry to say but you're a prime example of a child parents never supervised.

What are you trying to prove with your boasting? That you get away with breaking the law? Are you saying the law doesn't apply if no one's watching?
That's funny. It's exactly what I was thinking. You shouldn't be proud of being raised badly AND of picking up a terrible habit thanks to which you'll lose a ton of money, be unhealthy, possibly die from lung cancer, ruin your teeth, have bad breath, etc. I really don't get some people. I guess "fitting in" (with stupid people who have no self-control) is at the top of their list.

Ugh...makes me sick.

Bad parenting FTL. If parents would own up be a moral example for their children i.e. not buy their 14 child a game made for 18+ year olds, we wouldn't have the need for polls like this. :rolleyes:

Well at least some people have thr gith state of mind to understand this situation. Thank umm er I guess "god" the people on here can understand that this stuff is getin really messed up. I see it everyday not just with video games. But with christmas right now. "I work in retail". I see people come in all the time like 3 a day asking : "do you have a PS3 and an XBOX 360, and a Wii cause my 9 year old son said he wanted all 3 and all thses mature games to go with it so i must have it!". I am thurouighly disgusted by the world of today. If we truly want to be taken care of these people should go join the taliban theyl take of ya tell you what you think and do. Cause there aint no goverment. But sometimes i almost feel that would be better than living in the western world nowadays:rolleyes:

Can't agree enough with the comments in this thread... 100% Pure Truth (tm) (patent pending) (all rights reserved).

This is true. Religion is the number one cause of violence in the world. Think you can stamp out video games and television shows? Try stamping out religion. You'll get nowhere fast.

And without religion you'd have such wonderful atheist leaders like Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.

Its a good thing we have science. It invented the atom bomb, military technology, chemical/biological weapons, and discovered even more cruel means of using the laws of physics to our advantage.

I love these polls, it proves what I have written many term papers on, that the government has no deep knowledge, or understanding, of this matter or truly understand how to handle (take action).

The best thing is to have the government out of your life as much as possible. They don't know how to manage anything, they can't handle money, they get corrupt with more power, etc. The gov't should be 1/3 the size what it is today.

I hate to say it but I think this might happen. I dont enjoy it this nor do i think that it should be done but it will. This country has gone from Being personally responsible to ...blame it on someone else.

The thing is, we already gave up tons of rights and pricicy and that saying goes " give an inch they take a mile" this is pretty much the result of it. Its been done on so many things.

Little off topic but that this rate i wont be able to smoke in my own home either

Little off topic but that this rate i wont be able to smoke in my own home either
Well at least there you can thank them for saving your life. (Oh no, I offended your freedom of choice...to do things that are bad for you and everyone around you...)

Anyway, the game thing though is just ridiculous simply because all major games have ratings already.

I am all for the Governement censoring games. Violent crime among youths is at an all time low so the governement must do something. Now that I think of it, music needs to be censored as well since we all know that Rock and Rap music cause teen pregnancy. Televison and movies too since even The Lion King can pervert our children with it's hidden innuendo. Books should be the first thing to face stiff regulation because we don't want people getting ideas or start thinking Harry Potter is real.

</sarcasm/>

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/violence_and_videogames

New millenium, same BS.

and the winner for post of the year is.... ;)

It's funny. I'll bet a good portion of those people for government will go out and buy their kids the next GTA game with his new PS3.

Raise your own kids people.:eek:

The First Amendment says "Over my dead body" and the Second Amendment guarantees I won't be the only body!

LOL! QFT, without a doubt.

QFT, hard core.

And without religion you'd have such wonderful atheist leaders like Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.

That's a really jaded perspective that's basically saying that no one can be a decent human and know the difference between right and wrong without religion.

As long as the human race can maintain any semblance of honor and understanding the difference between right and wrong, it wont take a religious President, for example, to tactically nuke a country that just flew planes into buildings here in the U.S. and kill thousands of innocent people, like he or she should. Oh wait, we have a President who is religious and he did nothing of the sort after 9/11. So much for religion. Oh, but it was the ones who flew the planes who did so "out of" supposed religious beliefs.

Anyway, as for the "poll", it's ludicrous. More so because it shows (supposedly) just how many people don't want to think for themselves or be responsible for their own lives or the lives of their family.

Game creation is an art form, and to regulate any form of art (i.e. expression and freedom there-of) is simply intolerable to a degree there are no words for in any tongue.

It is the responsibility of parents to control what they do or do not want their children exposed to, and the responsibility of those "under age" but who are still old enough to know better, to know it's wrong to obtain a firearm and start randomly killing people.

While in recent times we've seen things in this country that border on "Communistic", I truly don't think it's going to get to the point where they have the balls to start telling artists what the can and cannot create. The day that happens, I load all my guns.

This is another thing I dont understand. Why the F*** would you need to censor video games? They are already rated!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with some of these people. The problem is, the people the sell the games dont check ID's for the kids getting them. Or their parents just don't care and buy them for them. There is no reason to censor video games. This is the same reason why some movies are rated R, so kids not old enough to see them, can't.

Censoring video games would be essentially taking out an aspect of it that may be part of the reason to play it. That would be like taking a R rated movie, and taking out everything that made it rated R. What would you be left with?

because the psychopathic medieval leaders who started the crusades are so much better, killing for a book that promotes peace... smashing idea! But ok the church apologized...lets get modern

Bush and the iran dude (i'm not spelling that ATM)...so religion gets us leaders like those...

how bout we take the middle ground and get some leaders who are raised on eastern philosophies? you know the peaceful ones...

Jesus was Buddhist anyway...and thats not being funny, there is actually evidence pointing to the teachings being influenced by buddhism.

so yeah... solve religion first, and LEAVE ART ALONE!!! whether you like it or not, whether its crude, lewd or whatever else, art is art and should never be censored. period.

Well at least there you can thank them for saving your life. (Oh no, I offended your freedom of choice...to do things that are bad for you and everyone around you...)

Anyway, the game thing though is just ridiculous simply because all major games have ratings already.

Ooooo Please and booze and drunk drivers kill how many a year? Why is that not being handled the same way as smoking?

Ooooo Please and booze and drunk drivers kill how many a year? Why is that not being handled the same way as smoking?

Because, like guns, drinking can be done responsibly. But you cannot responsibly smoke. You're poluting and harming other people and yourself no matter how you look at it.

Don't get me wrong. I've smoked for 13 years and have quit almost 5 years ago with no intention of going back. Both my parents smoke and I don't bother them about it. It doesn't offend me or bother me when people smoke. I'm just stating the truth about it whether I or you like it or not.

because the psychopathic medieval leaders who started the crusades are so much better, killing for a book that promotes peace... smashing idea! But ok the church apologized...lets get modern

Bush and the iran dude (i'm not spelling that ATM)...so religion gets us leaders like those...

how bout we take the middle ground and get some leaders who are raised on eastern philosophies? you know the peaceful ones...

Jesus was Buddhist anyway...and thats not being funny, there is actually evidence pointing to the teachings being influenced by buddhism.

so yeah... solve religion first, and LEAVE ART ALONE!!! whether you like it or not, whether its crude, lewd or whatever else, art is art and should never be censored. period.

Great response.

Eastern philosophies about life and existence are far more profound and evolved than anything of the Western world. I subscribe to nothing, but I do feel that certain aspects of their beliefs are far more broad in understanding. A leader with some of those "understandings" could be a tremendous thing.

Christ also never actually claimed to be the son of God, either. Much of what he "preached" was gravely misinterpreted by those who heard, but didn't listen. Also, you have to know the details of what the Church has removed so "conveniently" from the original written works of "the book". They've never actually "apologized" for anything, either. Religion is a serious method of control, and they'll stand by it 'till the death.

Anyway...

Drinking, drugs, crime... there are far more important things for the Government to focus on than the content of games.

How about free health care? Like they have in other countries that the U.S. deems "inferior" to itself? Never. Why? There's no money in it for them.

We live in a country that is focused on everything but actually doing anything to help the public. It's all about control, what they (and many people) see as "power" and always about the fucking dollar.

Great response.

Anyway...

Drinking, drugs, crime... there are far more important things for the Government to focus on than the content of games.

How about free health care? Like they have in other countries that the U.S. deems "inferior" to itself? Never. Why? There's no money in it for them.

We live in a country that is focused on everything but actually doing anything to help the public. It's all about control, what they (and many people) see as "power" and always about the fucking dollar.

But cmon Drugs, drinking, etc dont cause people to kill, rob, whatever else. Its all the games fault! DUH! :rolleyes:

I always wonder how they figure its the games fault? Was there some kind of subliminal message in GTA3 i missed where it told me to get a gun and shoot a cop because its in this game... :confused:

But I guess parents dont get any blame for buying a 10-14 yr old kid a game that was meant for 17-18 yr olds. Of course not...

I love how people love to say some random crap like "Jesus was Buddhist anyway" because somehow it makes them feel smart. Because "smart people don't believe in God" or something, and then the like to turn around and call people who believe in God sheep. Really? Next they'll be calling them hypocrits.... oh wait...

Like Hideki Tojo?

Last time I checked he was not a practicing buddhist or hindu, nor do I believe he particuarly cared about shinto either. Therefore no, not like Tojo.

I love how people love to say some random crap like "Jesus was Buddhist anyway" because somehow it makes them feel smart. Because "smart people don't believe in God" or something, and then the like to turn around and call people who believe in God sheep. Really? Next they'll be calling them hypocrits.... oh wait...

first it has nothing to do with believing or disbelieving, it has everything to do with the actual message of faiths. Jesus was a buddhist is not a literal that jesus was a practicing buddhist, as most accounts with tell you he was jewish. The teachings of Jesus however are quite similar to the teachings of the buddha and those teachings seem to have had an impact on his teachings later in his life. To reinforce that, the only known record of the early life of jesus, namely the bible, loses his life between 13-30, with some evidence showing to those that believe in Jesus as an actual historical figure that he probably did some traveling, possibly as far as tibet. But almost certainly to some of the larger centers of trade between east and mid east. There is a good bit of research out there on the subject from credible sources.

That being said there ARE sheep in religions, all religions, and there are smart people who believe in something greater, and there are smart people that don't. Just like there are people who actually follow the message and those that do not. The ones that say they are a religion but don't intelligently follow the actual message of their faith are the sheep.

I think the government has more pressing things to be wasting time and taxpayer money on than video games. Restoring checks and balances to prevent improper consolidation of power by the executive branch is a good one. And of course there's always that nasty little war that we're still fighting a couple years after major combat operations were declared to be over. Education, health care.... AIDS research.. cure for cancer..

No, the general public in it's eternal wisdom would rather we take what few resources we have after selling our souls to the Bush administration and the Chinese and waste them on fucking Video Games.

Bravo, America.

I think the government has more pressing things to be wasting time and taxpayer money on than video games. Restoring checks and balances to prevent improper consolidation of power by the executive branch is a good one. And of course there's always that nasty little war that we're still fighting a couple years after major combat operations were declared to be over. Education, health care.... AIDS research.. cure for cancer..

No, the general public in it's eternal wisdom would rather we take what few resources we have after selling our souls to the Bush administration and the Chinese and waste them on fucking Video Games.

Bravo, America.

Bush Administration =! Congress

The gov't can keep thier little paws off my games. They should rather look at the garbage hollywood and themselves (leaders are example setters) are producing.

Get off your high horse. "Sorry."

douche

What the hell are you singling me out for? Read everyone's reply. There's a lot of "high horses" in here by your definition. Parents failing to supervise and raise kids will result in kids breaking the law, and that one kid flaunted his ability to get away with buying cigarettes at 17!

Don't you think that's a little.. ironic?

Back