[Poll] Do you actively try for achievements?

Do achievements matter?

• Yes, they add value

Votes: 53 31.7%
  • No, they do not add value

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I must 100% every game

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don't care about them at all

Votes: 60 35.9%

• Total voters
Worthless, waste of developer time. I typically do not care, but when there is a pop up in game saying you did X or Y, it completely ruins the immersion. At least give us the option to disable them.

I can't imagine they actually take all that long to implement.

Perhaps, the same amount of time it takes to add, Keyboard Rebinding? A working windowed fullscreen mode? The option to hide UI elements?

There is plenty of "fluff" that is sorely missed from many modern games, that we are just now starting to see again. And with the next set of engines coming, they might disappear again...:mad:

I think it is a console thing for pre-teens. From my take it's similar to an adult taking home the hot chick from the bar, then bragging to your buddies about it at work. This is what the pre-teens do with achievements. Other than that I don't see any reason for an adult to care about achievements -- I am not talking about your neckbeards here but your average career working PC gamer.

Rather than making games hard by default, I think companies make games relatively easy (for the general masses) and then put in achievements to add "difficulty" to the games. I generally try to go for achievements for this reason, unless it's something stupid like "Win 10 games in a row online". I generally go for them in RPG type games, since these usually tend to be in the vein of 100% completion, which I strive for anyways.

In many cases they've incentivized me to try new things or even explore completely different plot trees (Fallout, Oblivion, etc.) that I would have normally bypassed.
Sometimes they're stupid and tacked-on and sometimes they're great.

As long as the achievements are fun, i will go for them. I generally do not like multiplayer only achievements, or some of the silly single player ones *glares at Star Ocean 4*.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, however, have been an absolute blast to attempt.

Worthless, waste of developer time. I typically do not care, but when there is a pop up in game saying you did X or Y, it completely ruins the immersion. At least give us the option to disable them.
For Steam games, check the option to disable Steam in-game. I believe Origin has a similar option.

I said yes, but it isn't 100% true. I like trying to get the achievements in Defense Grid. Its a fun fast game I can get a match or two in, and it provides interesting twists on things...but to be fair, Steam Sales have made my damned backlog ridiculous so I bounce around a lot. But if the game is a sticker like Defense Grid, War Thunder which I'm enjoying for now and DayZ standalone which I'm also playing a lot, i go for them (though I don't think there are any achievements for the Alpha). I also had shit tons of Achieves in WoW which I am now weening off of...

Depends. If I get a lot of the achievements by just playing the game and only have a few left over afterwards, I might try to get 100%. Otherwise, not worthwhile for me.

And one could argue that if you get most of the achievements by just playing the game normally, are they really worthy of being "achievements"?

For Steam games, check the option to disable Steam in-game. I believe Origin has a similar option.

You may not want to disable the Steam overlay entirely, though, just the pop-up notifications. Not sure if there is an option to do that for Achievements.

While I see the appeal, and getting more replay value out of a game is definitely a good thing, there are just too many damn games to play to worry about achievements. I barely have time to just get through the games these days.

They don't bother me, but I don't really care about them either. If I get them during regular gameplay, fine. If not, oh well.

You may not want to disable the Steam overlay entirely, though, just the pop-up notifications. Not sure if there is an option to do that for Achievements.

This. The Steam Overlay that tells the time or shows if friends are online can be helpful.

I rarely actively try for them, it is nice to do something strange and realize that the developer put an achievement recognizing the uniqueness of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back