POLL/Discussion: How do you tweak your Ryzen CPU?

How do you tweak your Ryzen CPU?

• I leave it stock and let it boost

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • I leave it stock except for an undervolt and let it boost

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • I leave it stock except for PBO stuff which I max out

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I manually change multiplier to highest possible all core clock

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I manually change individual CCX multipliers to highest possible all core clock

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • other (please post)

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
Trying to figure out what people are doing for Ryzen settings to maximize performance. I was running 4.3GHz all core on a 3800x but the idle power usage was kind of high so I decided to try going stock with undervolt. I was surprised to see how much performance started climbing the more I undervolted, with cinebench scores going up a few percent, about 1% less than my 4.3GHz all core run. Power usage and temps are down. Stability testing now but looking pretty good. What are you guys doing? This is not a RAM discussion, lets focus on CPU settings.

There's a fine line where if you undervolt too far (under say 1.15-1.2V), you end up losing performance even if you get higher momentary boosts. The CB scores for example will be lower than stock.

I voted for leave it at stock and let it boost on its own. I don't use the stock cooler though.

I left the 3900x alone. While auto OC, manual OC, and PBO slightly raised performance, the additional 10-20c increase in heat was not worth the 1-2 FPS or 50 CB points.

Edit:...

I find the voltage and frequency curve for each CPU and tune for the highest all core OC at a large reduction in temps.

2700X With monoblock and 360 rad with D5 pump slowed down. 4.0Ghz at 1.232 volts. Does not go above 60C even after being under load for days at a time.
3700X With D15 Chromax. 4.2Ghz at 1.25 VID (1.20 Loaded). 70C max under heavy load.

I lean more towards staying quiet, keeping temps under control, and being stable under all conditions. Those are more important then the last couple 100mhz I could get.

I use the EDC bug setting it to 1, Set TDC and PPT to 125, increase boost override to +200, and undervolt 0.025?

3600x at 4.45 2 cores, 4.425 2 cores, and 4.4 remaining 2 cores under boost. All core 4.2ish +/- 100mhz depending on load.

Stock + -100mv on my 3400G. Would decrease voltage more, but my Asrock board won't let me. Can set vcore lower, but it's not offset, and usually unstable.

Nothing atm, I dont use it, its sat on a book.
I may set it up with Windows 7 and 1080ti for use as my browsing + casual gaming machine.
Once its running again I'll do some of the 1usmus tweaks.

My Skylake CPU will become my windows 10 gaming machine.
Then MS's snaffly mitts cant invade my privacy :D

My Dads 3950x (coming soon) will be undervolted to keep heat down so it doesnt need a waterblock.
There will be a small drop in performance but not that bad and I prefer he is safe and the machine reliable.
I will also try 1usmus tweaks.

With my 2600x I let PB2 do its thing. Using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED with an extra fan for push/pull I stay at 4.2-4.25Ghz on low thread count loads. At full utilization it never drops below 4Ghz and even then only with video encoding. I currently have a distributed computing program running with all 12 threads maxed and it's jumping between 4.05Ghz-4.1Ghz. Temps are 56C-61C with the DC program running. While encoding it will sometimes climb up to 63C-65C.

I could go with an all core overclock a bit better than the 4Ghz-4.1Ghz I get with PB2 but it wouldn't gain me much in performance while increasing temps and power use quite a bit.

turned on PBO, thats it. ive been OCing since pins and dips, and cant really be bothered since PBO is close to max anyways.

I run the 2700X stock and that's the machine I use the most, so voted that one. I could probably tweak it a bit but the difference between a 7 minute build and a 6 minute 50 second build is irrelevant to me.

The 1600's in the cluster are all overclocked via multiplier to 3.6GHz all core. One of them will take 3.7 GHz but it runs hotter than I like at the speed.

RM sceenshot.png

When I still had my 2700X system last summer, I used PBO.
When I fire my new 3900XT build up on Sunday, I'll be doing the same until the new tool from 1usmus comes out. Very excited for that. The preview build Linus played with looks very promising.

i did have my 3600 overclocked to 4.4Ghz for a short period of time but honestly the performance gain wasn't worth it for my use case.. after a bios update to 1.0.0.3ABBA i didn't bother resetting the overclock. cpu runs 4.2Ghz all core boost using a liquid freezer 240 so that's good enough for me. full system idle is around 80w based on what my UPS is reporting(cpu idles at 0.97v with minimum cpu power state at 5%).

I raise power use limits to their max, but otherwise, I change nothing else.
I sometimes turn on whatever motherboard enhancements are available, but only the simple stuff.

Hey, I can handle complexity, but this is Ryzen. Already pressed to the wall thanks to AMD.

I overclocked my 1600X but when I got my 3700X I checked reviews everywhere and found that there was very little performance gained by overckocking it so it's the first CPU I've ran in 12 years that I left stock. Generally runs at 4.3 and even 4.4 every once in a while and stays in the mid to upper 50's temp wise. Doubt I could do any better.

So I went ahead and experimented with my 3800x the past 24 hours, finding the lowest undervolt that was stable (24hr OCCT stress test, 4 hours cinebench r20, 1 hour prime95, all passed). Here are my results.

Stock (baseline):
Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 4971
Cinebench R20 Single-thread: 514
Max temp after 1 run: 74.5C
Idle power consumption (system): 63W
Prime95 power consumption (system): 192W
Max temp after 5 minutes P95: 84.8C

Overclocked/undervolted 4.3GHz @ 1.25V:
Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 5176 (+4.1%)
Cinebench R20 Single-thread: 498 (-3.1%)
Max temp after 1 run: 70.8C
Idle power consumption (system): 68W (+7.9%)
Prime95 power consumption (system): 180W (-6.3%)

Stock PBO + undervolt -0.15V:
Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 5049 (+1.6%)
Cinebench R20 Single-thread: 515 (+0.2%)
Max temp after 1 run: 69.3C
Idle power consumption (system): 59W (-6.3%)
Prime95 power consumption (system): 167W (-13.0%)
Max temp after 5 minutes P95: 76.5C

so in my experience, you can squeeze out about 4% in multicore performance by OCing/UVing, but you give up 3% in single core. To me that wasn't worth it, so by doing nothing more than undervolting, I gained 1.6% in multicore while giving up nothing in single core, and saving over 6% idle power and 13% full load power (full system).

edit:
Here are the minimum clock speeds and max temps I saw while undervolting and running a single pass of cinebench r20:

stock (No undervolt): 4075MHz/74.5C
-0.0125V: 4050MHz/72.8C
-0.025V: 4025MHz/71.8C
-0.05V: 4025MHz/70.9C
-0.1V: 4125MHz/69.4C
-0.15V: 4150MHz/66.9C

Last edited:
On my 3960 I run a slight overvolt with pbo and get 4.5-4.65 in most games and r20 runs about 4.35-4. if I push lots of vcore it will run 4.6-7 games but r20 doesn't go up much thing get stupid hot at high vcore

Stock Ryzen 3600 with boost here, though cooling is handled by a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 instead of the stock heatsink/fan. It seems to boost up to around 4.066 - 4.1 GHz under sustained load, and I'm not losing hair over that last 2% of performance. When Zen 5000 hits next year, I'll look at my options and move to something with a higher core count anyway.

I use auto overclock on all of my Ryzen's as the only way to unlock them like the 3600

I have tried St0ock, PBO Enabled, PBO using max power settings, and the EDC=16 bug with some other tweaks. The EDC bug gives it the best all around performance all around both using silly bench marks, for comparing changes made in BIOS, and real world feel in gaming.

I set the voltage on a 3900x to about 1.35 or so, then slowly work the multi up until it isnt stable. Then I find a stable point, and then work my voltage down until its not stable. for me it's been around 4450 ~ 4500mhz all core at around 70~c and 1.3 to 1.35v just depends on what I want it to do. Smashing for benchmarks ill push a little higher on voltage. All core all day I sit at 1.32v and 4450 all core.

I set the voltage on a 3900x to about 1.35 or so, then slowly work the multi up until it isnt stable. Then I find a stable point, and then work my voltage down until its not stable. for me it's been around 4450 ~ 4500mhz all core at around 70~c and 1.3 to 1.35v just depends on what I want it to do. Smashing for benchmarks ill push a little higher on voltage. All core all day I sit at 1.32v and 4450 all core.

Going to be firing up my 3900XT rig today for the first time. I'm hoping to AC 4500

Right now, I have the power settings tweaked to match what 1usmus suggests in the DRAM calculator on both a 3950x under water and a 3900x cooled with a Thermalright Silver Arrow. No changes to core voltage. Both boost around 4 GHz in CB20.

After spending a ton of time getting a stable OC on my 1700, for my 3900X I messed around with stuff for a while on my X370 (I have a thread about that somewhere.) Then found out that my CPU was basically getting overjuiced all the time thanks to the motherboard.
However once I upgraded to X570 I did a -0.1v undervolt offset and i've left everything else stock.

Right now, I have the power settings tweaked to match what 1usmus suggests in the DRAM calculator on both a 3950x under water and a 3900x cooled with a Thermalright Silver Arrow. No changes to core voltage. Both boost around 4 GHz in CB20.

What's your 3900X temps?

What's your 3900X temps?
I just looped CB20 for 5 minutes and it seems to hang around 66-67C while boosting between 3950 to 3975. Ambient is right around 24C. It does peak at 76.5C in those gaps where it finishes one run and starts the next and the cores clock up, but those spkes are probably a millisecond long. I have the cpu fan set to turbo. If I put it on 100 percent, it would do a better and wouldn't add much noise. It's not maxing the fans on the turbo setting until you hit 70. Stock CB20 multi score is around 7150 give or take depending on the run and single core is 522.

I keep my 3800X at 4.4Ghz all core with a slight overvolt. It can do 4.5Ghz all core but I only run that for benches and toying around as it gets a little warm. I was using an H100i GTX but after upgrading to an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II my load temps literally dropped 10-12C when combined with the der8auer OC bracket. I'll have to double check but I believe my CB R20 is ~5400 something all core and ~525 single.

I think one of the best things you can do is get a real good cooler for whatever Ryzen CPU you get/have ... the cooler you can keep it, the closer to max boost it will go and sustain it longer.

I clicked other for that reason ...and the only other thing I do is manually set fclk to match my RAM. I had PBO on , but I think it has degraded my memory controller in my 3700x. I was running my 2 x 16GB 3200mhz HyperX (Hynix chipped) Predators @ 3800mhz w/fclk @ 1900 w/PBO on .. was stable running video editing, playing Hunt:Showdown, AID64 stress, TestMem5 with 1usmus_v3.cfg custom setting (25 runs no errors) .. but then just lately my setup rebooted and then BIOS reset to defaults .. set RAM to 3600, w/fclk 1800 and it's been fine since... so dunno.

I run the Noctua NH-D15 w/Dual Fans

3900X cooled by a Noctua U12A with the 2 fans in a large-ish ITX case (Nano S).

Currently running -0.0875v offset.

depends on use case.
Friends system: Locked down at stock (she's a light gamer, don't want to overstress)
Gaming system: Let it boost or set core manually, depending on time
TR Workstation: Let it boost via stock, watch temps for a bit to see how it does.

Initially I was freaked out about voltages going above 1.4 at default settings, but then I read that AMD said that 0.200V - 1.500V voltage fluctuation is completely normal for Ryzen 3 so I left it alone. Mine stays boosted above 4300 all the time at stock settings. I will be trying that 1usmus tool when it becomes available though.

Initially I was freaked out about voltages going above 1.4 at default settings, but then I read that AMD said that 0.200V - 1.500V voltage fluctuation is completely normal for Ryzen 3 so I left it alone. Mine stays boosted above 4300 all the time at stock settings. I will be trying that 1usmus tool when it becomes available though.

Nooo, that's only for low current thread situations ie. single core loads. The ppl running 1.4v are way over the max fit safety voltage. Btw, your chip is not boosting to 4300 all the time at stock, that's impossible. You're probably not looking at effective clocks.

Last edited:
Before is Auto-0.05v Offset (but not cool 50-60° gaming).
Currently I fixed my vCore=1.2125v @4.2Ghz and PBO Off in Bios (45-50°c gaming) while faster and cooler in rendering.

Ryzen Balance Power Plan
Global C-state Control = Enabled
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled

Back