Police Robot Snatches Gun From Barricaded Suspect

HardOCP News

[H] News
RoboCop is one step closer to becoming a reality. If I was a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, I would program the robot to say stuff like "Dead or alive, you're coming with me." ;)

Eventually, officials deployed the robot to gain a closer view of Bunge’s hideout. The camera showed him on his stomach, with his rifle at his feet, Ewell said. "The robot was able to move up and grab the gun without him noticing,” Ewell said. “He never knew it happened.”

I'm all good with cool new toys, but wouldn't a $50 tear gas canister been a little less expensive than a 300k robot?

The one and only reason for that happening was there was so much noise from the helicopter he couldn't hear the noisy robot's approach. That would never have happened otherwise. There nothing awesome or great about that article at all and it's just a publicity stunt.

Not a criminal mastermind is he? This seems a very very special application that only happens once in every 10 years. Not sure it warrants maintaining a robot like that for it.

Sure it worked this time, but the scale of deployment for one guy is just not worth it. If a bunch of cops can talk him down, fine. If not, shoot him, a bullet is less expensive than a giant robot, and the entire police force providing distractions.

This kind of robot would be better used to help catastrophe victims. Who are really innocent and trapped. Not snatching guns off crazy guys.

Of course if they can make enough of them to do both, then fine go stealing guns.

The one and only reason for that happening was there was so much noise from the helicopter he couldn't hear the noisy robot's approach. That would never have happened otherwise. There nothing awesome or great about that article at all and it's just a publicity stunt.

Well since the helicopter was part of the plan to distract the man, I think it's awesome the cops pulled it off and didn't just shoot him. Or use the robot to drop a bomb in his lap like they did that other guy.

Look, any time the cops have a guy, who is either a bad guy or troubled, cornered and they find an opportunity to take him without killing him, I'm mostly good with it. And with the way things have been going lately, that is as great and awesome as it has to be.

I agree, robot may got lucky this time with this certain individual. Don't see that happening all the time.

I can see it now when he is in prison, his cell mate will be like, "So you're the dude who got his gun taken away by a robot? ................. (ROFLMAO)".

I saw that thing, and immediately thought of ED209, and the robot going "Drop your weapon, you have 30 seconds tp comply." And then he gets shot to death 50 times over like in the robocop movie.....lol

300K sounds like a very high price tag yes but I look at it as the darn thing has already paid for itself. Consider that if this guy shot people or the police shot him the cost of legal fees would be well over a million let alone the publicity crap.

Are we sure this guy wasn't in a coma? Helicopter or not, I kinda feel it'd be hard to not notice that thing approaching even if you were deaf and blind in one eye, especially in a prone position where your area of attention is limited.

This is how police should use their robotic units. Not by murdering a barricaded suspect as happened with the Dallas shooter.

When these robots become cheaper to manufacture it'll be much more efficient. Of course, by that point the (higher end) bad guys might have robot guardians of their own too.

Seems to me like he was preoccupied with his purpose. He was in like a fox hole, a hasty one, but still, who barricades himself in the wide open spaces with no body else around? Was he planning on using a jackrabbit as a hostage?

This thing had cry for help written all over it. Make enough of a commotion that they can't ignore him but don't actually threaten anyone so he doesn't get himself killed.

Or maybe, get myself killed in a way that really makes it look unnecessary and the cops look really bad.

If he was serious about shooting cops I think it would have turned out different.

Of course then you have the bomber they just caught in New York. I was a little surprised he came out of it alive. But I don't think it was for want of trying. They shot him in the leg but I figure it's either cause that's all the target the cops had at the moment so he shot what he could, or that's just how it turned out. I don't think for an instant that the cops were trying to shoot to wound cause that's mostly pretty stupid when your in a gun fight already. That once he was wounded, they didn't drive in a finish him, that showed some restraint when you consider he'd already shot one in the chest.

This is how police should use their robotic units. Not by murdering a barricaded suspect as happened with the Dallas shooter.

Doesn't matter how they killed him, once they decided they had to take him out that was the end of it.

If the guy is really dug in, if you can't talk him out, and if he is armed seriously enough to be a real threat to officers, I actually like the robot bomb idea.

Given that the Dallas guy's intentions were murdering police officers which he successfully pulled off, I can't blame them for it. But I'm not amazed at all that a guy like you calls the cops murders for killing a guy who was purposefully killing them.

The Dallas shooter had killed two and three more died from their wounds later on, after they had killed him. I'll tell you straight man, if I was the Officer in charge and had a way to kill him without endangering any more officers, I would have ordered the same exact action.

Last edited:
I work for Dick Jones! Dick Jones! He's the Number Two Guy at OCP! OCP runs the cops!
v3677.jpg
I'd buy that for a dollar.
bixby2.png
sticker,375x360.png

Yup, RC car (with cool attachments) surprises moron with gun . . . . just does not sound as good or have as many movie references.

Doesn't matter how they killed him, once they decided they had to take him out that was the end of it.

If the guy is really dug in, if you can't talk him out, and if he is armed seriously enough to be a real threat to officers, I actually like the robot bomb idea.

Given that the Dallas guy's intentions were murdering police officers which he successfully pulled off, I can't blame them for it. But I'm not amazed at all that a guy like you calls the cops murders for killing a guy who was purposefully killing them.

The Dallas shooter had killed two and three more died from their wounds later on, after they had killed him. I'll tell you straight man, if I was the Officer in charge and had a way to kill him without endangering any more officers, I would have ordered the same exact action.

Just because you commit a heinous crime, doesn't mean your rights suddenly disappear. This weeks NY bomber showed us that a terrorist can bomb a city, engage in a violent shootout with cops, and still be taken in alive by professionals.

I'm all good with cool new toys, but wouldn't a $50 tear gas canister been a little less expensive than a 300k robot?

Hell, in Dallas they use those robots to blow up bad guys.....well cop killers at least. Just stick some explosives on there and roll right up.

EDIT: Apparently I was late to the Johny 5 party.

Back