Police Mistake Cryptocurrency Miner for Marijuana Farm

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Feb 13, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

NewsBTC spotted a video claiming that police broke into a South Australia man's home, expecting to find a marijuana farm. Instead, they ran into a cryptocurrency farm, and admitted that they found no evidence of any wrongdoing in a note on the door. Mr. Rob Butvila is understandably pissed off about the whole situation, as the police damaged his property with a search under a "general warrant," and aren't being particularly communicative when it comes to damage compensation requests. "Excessive" power usage has led to drug-related raids before (though in that particular case, Jonas Diener had a history of marijuana-related charges), but Rob notes that whirring fans may have made police suspicious. Either way, I have no doubt that we'll see similar erroneous raids in the future. Thanks to cageymaru for the tip.

Check out the video here.

SAPOL used brutal and destructive force, kicking in doors without a magistrate issued warrant to find cryptocurrency mining computers where they expected to find a marijuana grow room. Only in Elizabeth! They hung up when questioned about who pays the damages... No special warrant was required, they acted under their standard abuse of power "general warrant" with no permission from a magistrate to forcibly enter. Even a simple phone call was too hard!

2. wootius

wootius [H]Lite

Isn't power in Australia fucking expensive?

3. Poseidons Kiss

Poseidons Kiss n00b

Though I understand these are not exactly analogous, it reminds me of the no-knock warrants in the States that routinely get people killed. Departments have an astonishing ability to get the wrong address.

4. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

God forbid he was actually growing weed, which I can legally grow in plain sight in my own fucking backyard or buy at the store a mile from my house.

5. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

It is, and its freaking hot there right now since it's summer.

6. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

anyone else reminded of this?

FreeLow, Anijuz, mynamehere and 13 others like this.
  7. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Yep heat and electricity drain are what they look for.

Poseidons Kiss likes this.
  8. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

When memes come to life.

"Oi you got a loicense for that uhhhhh graphics card?"

9. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

Crypto should be illegal, since it's a Ponzi scheme. Amidoingitright?

Ugh.

mynamehere likes this.
  10. STEM

STEM Gawd

I still wonder why AMD decided to kill the ATI brand...? Do you guys remember when AMD used to be green and ATI red? Seems like after AMD killed the ATI brand, they took on red as their main color. Kind of weird, not to mention, a huge monetary loss. Bad decisions, that's why AMD struggled for so long...

Madmeerkat55 and The Mad Atheist like this.
  11. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

It makes sense from a management standpoint. You just absorbed the only other major competitor in the graphics card market. You can't go sharing similarities such as color with the competition so you rebrand everything to follow suit. As far as renaming, it's a cleaner look overall to just maintain the AMD brand unified rather than splitting up the naming scheme. AMD struggled because of more than just the loss of money on the purchase, in fact, the acquisition of ATI was probably the best thing they did in the last 15 years. They were already on the road to failure before that as they had NOTHING to answer Intels Core 2 lineup.

geok1ng and STEM like this.
  12. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Stupid fucking police, could've been avoided by getting a search warrant, going up to the house when they're home, knock, ask if it's a grow house, let the owner explain and show them what it is. If not, then show the warrant and enter.

Anyone want to pool some money, buy a house, and fill it with A/C powered dildos so when the police assume it's a grow house and break in, they can read the note that says, "Dear police, pick one and fuck off!"

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  13. STEM

STEM Gawd

I remember, and that's mostly because they didn't spend enough money on R&D. I hope their graphics division will do better, I hope David Wang proves to be a real asset to the company and puts them on the road to releasing more competitive and reasonably priced GPUs. Can't believe we're paying $800 for a mid-range GPU these days.

joobjoob likes this.
  14. masquap

masquap Limp Gawd

Hit nearly 118 deg F (47.6 deg C) the other day and yes, most expensive power in the world in South Australia

15. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

My new Radeon VII grow-house.

flir_20190208T142119.jpg

16. Draax

Draax [H]ardness Supreme

Don’t growers use LED lights now? I did a quick search and the average power draw of the LED lighting system I saw was the same as a single graphics card (1080) while gaming.

17. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

Raiding for marijuana in the first place is such a waste of money, time, and resources from police unless of course they just want it for themselves.

Shadowed, Hitti2, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  18. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Wonder what their return is after buying the rig and doing all the mining, along with power for cooling it? lol

masquap likes this.
  19. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

I know a couple who got a visit from the po-po because they had a bajillion reptile tanks in their home.

Who cares? Mum was paying.

I'm sorry, but I had to say it.

dvsman and The Mad Atheist like this.
  20. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

QFFT! :p

atmartens likes this.
  21. wootius

wootius [H]Lite

That's my question lol.

masquap likes this.
  22. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Gawd

I can tell immediately that this didn't happen in the US because it didn't result in a firefight between the cops and the armed homeowner, and also no dogs were murdered.

23. masquap

masquap Limp Gawd

I have family that live in SA, assuming they have power (whole state blacked out a couple of years ago), anyone living in Elizabeth / Smithfield who has a high power draw house that *doesnt* expect to have SAPol kick their door in is probably dumb enough to think they’re going to get an ROI on $AU1000+ video cards and AU40c/kWH.

Formski and wootius like this.
  24. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

YGPM

/s

Devilpup likes this.
  25. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

Don't stop. Arrest him for wasting power and using gaming graphic cards for none gaming use.

Armenius, geok1ng and The Mad Atheist like this.
  26. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

A raid on a grow house is kind of excessive isn't it? Just slap a ticket on the door and be on your way.

27. Poseidons Kiss

Poseidons Kiss n00b

*Stabs copper with unregistered butter knife* you'll never take me alive!

28. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

Can we ease up on all the fucking cussing guys Jesus!!!!!!

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  29. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

I don't know, but where i live there cant be much money in mining as we are most often in the top when it come to price for anything, growing are probably another thing as the growers don't pay for the power they use.
    But raiding grow houses are fair i think, they have been related to murders ASO here, and not forgetting the product from those houses are not funding a pre-teen fun park.
    And while not a that bad drug, as a user over several decades i can also say that it is totally not worth it smoking the stuff.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  30. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Fuck yeah we can!

31. wootius

wootius [H]Lite

fuck me I'm sorry

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Armenius, mullet and The Mad Atheist like this.
  32. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

And you can buy a silencer/suppressor in New Zealand without a permit or a $200 tax. World is a strange place. I'm in a state that legalized weed, a new shop opens up in my town damn near every month but now some state legislators want to ban all guns that can hold more than 5 rounds in the mag.

33. N4CR

N4CR [H]ardness Supreme

You can make them with oil filters. NZ has restrictive laws in some ways though, no full auto and has to be disabled, safe stored and the bolt in a separate location as well as the ammo. E.g. no home defense if something goes bump in the night.
    No pistols outside of ranges either.

Airguns especially grandfathered ones are a whole different kettle of fish if you know the law though.

34. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

obviously not that expensive if he was mining crypto.

35. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

Mains electricity is expensive, we have just a little bit of sun though. Parts of Australia make Florida look like Canada. I know people with 10kw/h solar setups with batteries just for normal stuff.

If you weren’t using solar you’d probably find a generator would be cheaper. It really is insanely expensive for mains electricity.

My favourite here is how much natural gas costs, because Oz is the 2 largest producer and they sell it all. It’s literally cheaper to buy Australian gas in Japan.

Norway has lower resources than we do and a trillion dollar wealth fund, but yeah it’s sunny.

36. Satyrist

Satyrist Gawd

It depends how nice the property looks, or if the local PD captain thinks they can make some quick bank off of it.

They might snuffle at the media after the fact, and say, "we are conducting an investigation with internal affairs to see exactly what happened here", but at the same time they'll be jumping to sell that shit as quick as possible, since they can do that without waiting for trial (much less a conviction) in many places across the US.

Or they just fatally shoot all the occupants dead under the guise of a violent drug raid. Probably why many small town PD's strap on military tactical gear, thinking they're Jonny Rambo with eight foot long war boners.

37. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm expecting police to break down my door any day now, but all I have is a bill to show them from TXU :ROFLMAO:

38. Hitti2

Hitti2 Limp Gawd

Idiots jumping to conclusions ruining lives and properties. Anyone recall copblock.org? It no longer seriviced but they use to post brutal police beatings/shootings and animal murder news. He is lucky he does not live in the US, shoot first never ask questions.

39. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

But guys it’s a gateway drug, gosh. Read a book.

40. Gottfried Leibnizzle

Gottfried Leibnizzle Limp Gawd

Fuckin Oz nanny state needs to get with the program. They're also confiscating and crushing classic muscle cars if the driver is caught smoking the wheels.

Nice place but needs a bit moar freedom. The real dinkum oil thing, not that yankee party line bullshit.