Police Get Search Warrant for Everyone Who Googled Minnesota Resident's Name

They might know your shoe size, but they don't know your MAC address unless you have google fiber.

That depends on who their ISP is ?

So, if they do know it, the warrant would work, if they don't then they just can't supply it.

The MAC address isn't accessible from the browser, and it changes at every hop.

No it doesn't. The packets are tagged with the MAC of the last transmitted equipment, but the original source MAC for the machine that sent to packet does not change meaning the ISP knows your MAC. Your MAC don't change unless you change equipment.

I don't like google has the data to begin with.
Shouldn't be that hard to understand. if you still don't get it let me know and i'l ltry to explain it to in more details

Which data?

The user account information for it's customers, or who searched for Biggus Dickus between Dec 1st and Jan 7th ?

No it doesn't. The packets are tagged with the MAC of the last transmitted equipment, but the original source MAC for the machine that sent to packet does not change meaning the ISP knows your MAC. Your MAC don't change unless you change equipment.
Of your router. Pretty sure he's talking about the connected server knowing the MAC of the desk/laptop the user is sitting at. So like if I went to HardOCP, the website doesn't have a way of knowing my computers MAC without running some sort of client side script.

I don't know, I don't see this as unreasonable on behalf of the police.
If a judge evaluated it and gave the warrant, I think its reasonable, its a very specific warrant too for what I assume is a narrow term (non-famous person I assume), that is part of why I think its reasonable.
Who would really be looking for Joe blow's name anyway.
If this was a warrant for people who searched brad pitt.. my opinion would be different.

And it is further limited by time, a 36 day window. If I were a Judge I would be less interested in the scope of the search portion of the request and more interested in the user information that they want for any Google customers that they report on.

If the Police wish to contact and question these people then all the information they need should be what is asked for. If the Police want to ask for further search warrants based on what Google supplies to begin electronic surveillance of these people then as a Judge I would start getting unfriendly real fast with some cops.

"a case where someone managed to steal money from a credit union using a forged passport containing a photo of the account holder."

America is becoming more and more of a police state everyday. We've moved past, "Think of the children", to "Think of the credit union's money".

Wait a second ................

How does this work ?

I go to a Credit Union and I use a forged passport, "for the account holder?" as my ID, which has his picture, which just happens to look like me ?

WTF ?

Wouldn't I have to forge the document with a photo of MY mug ?

Of your router. Pretty sure he's talking about the connected server knowing the MAC of the desk/laptop the user is sitting at. So like if I went to HardOCP, the website doesn't have a way of knowing my computers MAC without running some sort of client side script.

No, he is just missing the point entirely.

A search warrant, in this case, is a request for information. If Google has the information then Google must give it up, or fight the Court Order itself. If Google doesn't have it then they don't have anything to give up. Google is a big Company and they own many other smaller companies and it's not entirely inconceivable at all that Google has MAC addresses for many users.

In all truth, as far as this warrant is concerned, it doesn't matter how Google get's your MAC. All that matters is if they have it or not.

I was told that back when [H] had everyone reset their passwords about a year ago, he just never did, and hasn't been back since.

One look at my sig should make it clear that I miss him not being around.

Way too many of us get way too serious including me as much as anyone. CUG had a way of reminding me of that flaw of mine.

I was told that back when [H] had everyone reset their passwords about a year ago, he just never did, and hasn't been back since.

One look at my sig should make it clear that I miss him not being around.

Way too many of us get way too serious including me as much as anyone. CUG had a way of reminding me of that flaw of mine.

I always thought CUG was a lady and I miss his/her perspective as well.

Wow what an over reach. They have no other way to find the info they need? And even us not-lawyers-but-we-watch-law-and-order-lawyers can argue ip address =/= person responsible. What are they really trying to do here?

Well, think of it like canvasing a neighborhood for all the surveillance camera footage for a given time frame. In that case they are seeing all sorts of info about lots of people in the area. It's not entirely weird. My question is why? Cause there's really only 2 ways this can go.

1) There's a ton of searches. In which case it is only useful if you already have a suspect, but not all that much more useful except maybe to then get all the ISP logs and search history for that suspect becuase you can show a better connection to potentially incriminating activities now.

2) You expect to get back very few names, then you can actually go investigate them one by one.

Which is once again like the surveillance camera search. You either expect to see a lot of people but REALLY expect to see the dude you think did it there at an incriminating place and time, or you expect to see very few people doing incriminating things and hope to be able to identify them from the information in the footage.

I was hoping someone could straighten me out on my question in post #46.

I actually am lost as to how this was supposed to work for the bad guys.

Why would you use a faked passport with the picture of the guy you are trying to steal from ? Why wouldn't you use your own picture so you look like yourself in the document?

Help me figure this out cause it looks like someone doesn't even understand what they wrote, or that this entire thing is bogus fake news.

Back