Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness

Anyone playing it? I don't have a Switch yet but hope to have one by the end of this year, and this will be my first game. I have been playing since Gen I and really want to play this!

I find it very boring that they removed the old battlesystem entirely which was like the only reason I was interested in the pokemon games (even as a now-way-past-my-age for this kind of game) in the first place, the rpg elements. Remove that and you remove my interest.

I'm sure 5 - 7 year old kids will love this one though where the old system is more of a hinderance (too complicated for the age group). Yea yea I know the real deal is still being worked on but I fear it's just matter of time when the old system disappears as this is much easier to maintain/develop and kids will love it just as much or more which is an easier group to please anyway.

Last edited:
They didn't remove the old battle system, it's just relegated to trainer and gym battles only now. The only place it's been removed is from the random encounter aspect, where it was fucking annoying anyway.

I'm not sure if I want this game or not. On the one hand, I like the changes they made to catching Pokemon, and it being the original first-gen Pokemon appeals to me. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm really "into" Pokemon anymore, and don't think I have been since middle school or so.

Seems like a game I would try for half-price or something.

I went on Metacritic and gave it a 5 out of 10.

It's a fun single player game, as Pokemon Red was fun back when I was 10 years old or so.

But it strips out important features which have been existent in Pokemon ever since Pokemon Gold, such as "Held Items". This version is really dumbed down when there really just isn't a good reason to do so.

No online match making, no day night cycles, no held items, no passive pokemon abilities, no pokemon bank, no bringing over of other generation pokemon, and little to no end game content.

The only saving grace is that I am able to play through on something I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid with my own 6 year old child in coop mode. THAT at least was a pretty wonderful innovation, one that I hope they keep around.

So yea, pros and cons to this one. I'd recommend it if you're trying to get your small children into pokemon.

I find it very boring that they removed the old battlesystem entirely which was like the only reason I was interested in the pokemon games (even as a now-way-past-my-age for this kind of game) in the first place, the rpg elements. Remove that and you remove my interest.

I'm sure 5 - 7 year old kids will love this one though where the old system is more of a hinderance (too complicated for the age group). Yea yea I know the real deal is still being worked on but I fear it's just matter of time when the old system disappears as this is much easier to maintain/develop and kids will love it just as much or more which is an easier group to please anyway.
I'm of the same opinion. I hope this isn't the direction they're taking with the mainline series of games.

Bought the Pikachu edition with the pokeball plus, played most of the weekend. Yellow was one of my favorite games, and this holds up quite well to that. Quality of life improvements like no HM's and no wild pokemon battles is pretty great, I don't miss either to be honest. The game got a nice coat of 3D paint and between the little events that take place, the great music, and the nostalgia kick, I'm having a blast. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a great way to relive a game from my childhood, plus the pokeball plus is pretty nifty with it's vibrations, lights, and sounds.

as a grown man... nope

I don't get the appeal to these games, they are over-cartoonized to look like the intended audience is 9.

Bought the Pikachu edition with the pokeball plus, played most of the weekend. Yellow was one of my favorite games, and this holds up quite well to that. Quality of life improvements like no HM's and no wild pokemon battles is pretty great, I don't miss either to be honest. The game got a nice coat of 3D paint and between the little events that take place, the great music, and the nostalgia kick, I'm having a blast. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a great way to relive a game from my childhood, plus the pokeball plus is pretty nifty with it's vibrations, lights, and sounds.
Mine arrives Friday and I expect to have the same experience. I honestly only bought the pokeball for Mew. It still blows my mind that you could actually catch him in the originals if you did the correct steps in the correct order. Props to whoever figured it out. Mew was always on my want list so it'll be nice to get him without exploits or having to trade.

There have been times where I wanted to fire up Blue/Red/Yellow but then I remembered that there is a battery in the cartridge that went dead and my saves are gone. I haven't played a Pokemon since Heart Gold / Soul Silver so I'm looking forward to this.

as a grown man... nope

I don't get the appeal to these games, they are over-cartoonized to look like the intended audience is 9.

Different strokes. Partly due to the nostalgia, but they are pretty great games with a very well realized and imaginative world.

Mine arrives Friday and I expect to have the same experience. I honestly only bought the pokeball for Mew. It still blows my mind that you could actually catch him in the originals if you did the correct steps in the correct order. Props to whoever figured it out. Mew was always on my want list so it'll be nice to get him without exploits or having to trade.

There have been times where I wanted to fire up Blue/Red/Yellow but then I remembered that there is a battery in the cartridge that went dead and my saves are gone. I haven't played a Pokemon since Heart Gold / Soul Silver so I'm looking forward to this.
AFAIK you could never get Mew in the US releases unless you went to the Pokemon store in NYC during special events. The correct steps you allude to only work in the Japanese versions.

AFAIK you could never get Mew in the US releases unless you went to the Pokemon store in NYC during special events. The correct steps you allude to only work in the Japanese versions.
No, it works on the U.S version:

I can confirm the Mew trick did NOT work in the US version of Red or Blue that I had in the 90s.

No, it works on the U.S version:

This is what I was referring to. It did work on the blue version I had. As stated above it is technically a glitch but the fact that you didn't need gameshark or anything other than "normal" game play made it pretty special in my book.

It certainly beat trying to use strength on the truck by S.S. Anne.

Back