Pokemon Go Is A Huge Security Risk

HardOCP News

[H] News
In addition to the whole "robbery and dead bodies" thing, apparently Pokemon Go is also a huge security risk. According to this guy, logging into the game with your Google account gives the game developer the ability to read all your email, send email as you, access to your Google drive documents with the ability to delete files and more.

I started the game, hit the Google button, and was redirected to log in. Normally you’d see a little message saying what data the app is going to be able to access - something like “This app will be able to view your email address and name”. For some reason that’s not shown in this case, but I went ahead and logged in anyway. Then on a whim I went to see which permissions it was granted (you can see for your own account right here). To say I was a little stunned is putting it lightly - it said: Pokemon Go has full access to your Google account.

But it's OK, I need that charizard!

Honestly thought, I wasn't going to get this game anyways. Still I wonder how this ties in with kids and tracking their info, since no matter how you try and spin it pokemon is first and foremost for kids.

I'm more afraid of the dozen or so people I've seen playing while driving in the last week. At least the accident shouldn't cause much damage since they're only going 5-10mph but it's ridiculous when you meet one of these idiots on the road.

Luckily, I don't use my google account for anything other than spam. So, yes, Nintendo can access my spam folder.

Odd, I checked his link and despite using my google account, the game doesn't even show on the list.

Looks like he sideloaded a malware-infected copy and not a legit or trusted version Pokemon Go: Malware found in side-loaded app – be careful!

He did not, I just created a brand new Gmail account, logged in via my iPhone with the Pokemon Go that I downloaded via App Store. Right after logging in Pokemon Go had Full Access to my new Gmail account. You can remove this access via the security page he posted.

Edit: Even you remove it, its gets added back when sign back in. I removed the permissions from my personal gmail account and the changed the password, but its already too late, lost all trust in this developer...

Last edited:
Spent a part of today checking around the base to see if we'd have to worry about people trying to jump fence to catch something. Looks like it manages to avoid generating pokemon on military property. Last thing we need is someone trying to run in front of an A-10 taking off to try to catch a Caterpie...

That's not true, both a near by reserve center and a full time army supply base have Pokemon and stops on them in Columbus. Maybe full blown bases but they have em here, poke stops and wild Pokemon too.

I don't think there's a gym on base tho so there's that

Spent a part of today checking around the base to see if we'd have to worry about people trying to jump fence to catch something. Looks like it manages to avoid generating pokemon on military property. Last thing we need is someone trying to run in front of an A-10 taking off to try to catch a Caterpie...
rofl

Security risk? Don't you mean...virginity risk? :ROFLMAO:

Quite the opposite, I have been seeing huge packs of guys and girls walking together hunting pokemon (ages 12-25 estimates). I would imagine this is one of the best things in getting people to interact that has come out in a while, except for those that try to bypass its gps so they can still hide inside. It is a very social game.

From the link:

Final Pokemon Update

So Niantic have come out with a statement which you can read over at Polygon. The summary is that they acknowledge the issue and are working on a fix for the app. Google are also working to change the privileges given to existing users so hopefully it should be resolved for everyone soon.

I’m really happy they’re addressing the problem promptly, my intention was only ever to get some attention after my initial attempts to contact the developers failed.

Now everyone go catch some Pokemon :)

So apparently this is being addressed. Good on him for figuring this out, and making it a public issue so that the companies involved had to address it.

Quite the opposite, I have been seeing huge packs of guys and girls walking together hunting pokemon (ages 12-25 estimates). I would imagine this is one of the best things in getting people to interact that has come out in a while, except for those that try to bypass its gps so they can still hide inside. It is a very social game.

This is typical humanity as regards any new thing. Some people are way into it, some people aren't feeling it, and a subset of both of these groups are compelled to be vocal about their opinion.

I too have had really good experiences, and have found that the game engenders a sense of camaraderie and community. The ages run the gamut, but mostly what I see is more like 12-35. Of course, there are plenty of statistical outliers, including old school gamers with grey hair and kids barely old enough to use their parents phone.

C'mon, people...learn to identify sarcasm and crack a smile every now and again. It's proven that laughing prolongs lifespan.

C'mon, people...learn to identify sarcasm and crack a smile every now and again. It's proven that laughing prolongs lifespan.

If a joke fails to create laughter, it is not often the audience's failure. :p

I don't think there's a gym on base tho so there's that
I work on a military base and there is a Pokemon gym popping up on my map just a few hundred yards from the building a I work in. :eek:

Nothing is sacred, nothing is safe, nothing is secure.

So a third party developer taking over google accounts and people are making fun of apple. Par for the course :D
If someone said they hate Ford trucks, somehow apple would have done something wrong.

I work on a military base and there is a Pokemon gym popping up on my map just a few hundred yards from the building a I work in. :eek:

Nothing is sacred, nothing is safe, nothing is secure.

Why are you surprised? These stops and gyms were all created with geocaching, using the very same GPS system the military opened up in the 90s :D

Let someone walk on the base with their GPS on, that's all it takes. Of course between us and the Soviets, we've had high-resolution pictures of every military base decades prior, but nobody talks about that.

Last edited:
I was a little interested, then I saw the battle system...

Making it turn based like the handheld games had made it 10x more fun.

It baffles me how they could have thought this spamtastic battle system could be fun.

Terrosists favorite Pokemon move:

Selfdestruct and Explosion

Last edited:
Back