POE to connect a server -> will it harm the server?

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
I have never had a POE switch in the head end used for server connectivity. Are there any down sides? Forget the costs, someone wants to put it in, and only if its bad, should they not.

I've got a client with about 10 x 24 port Adtran POE switches. All sorts of gear plugged into them without issues. Naturally IP phones, cisco ATA's, other trunked switches, also a few servers. See if this helps.
http://vimeo.com/4970931

Your server will be more at risk for a power surge.

? What ?

If the POE ports are auto sensing, than no, there is no harm. If its a modern switch, chances are it will be fine.

I switch will only provide POE power if it is needed

? What ?

If the POE ports are auto sensing, than no, there is no harm. If its a modern switch, chances are it will be fine.

I switch will only provide POE power if it is needed

Call it me being paranoid, but I don't want to have an extra vector for failure. Power surges have a tendency to find, and even make their own, any available path.

Call it me being paranoid, but I don't want to have an extra vector for failure. Power surges have a tendency to find, and even make their own, any available path.

Your being paranoid, I have never had, nor heard of a POE switch causing surge damage to a server when both the switch and server are protected by proper surge protection, which is a must

Your being paranoid, I have never had, nor heard of a POE switch causing surge damage to a server when both the switch and server are protected by proper surge protection, which is a must

This. All of our switches are POE and we have absolutely no problems.

As noted earlier, a client with 10 x 24 port switches, thats 240 PoE ports that have never killed a device/server/desktop/etc. Well at least about 230 ports are used, but still.

Back