PoE Powered Switches?

redrage

Limp Gawd
I'm half looking into PoE for a future project and partially at work...

I know there are Switches that provide PoE.. but are there any switches (looking at the 4-8 port type) that are/can be powered with PoE? and also provide PoE (probably less likely).

application could be sending one cable from main switch to a room having that cable power another switch in the ceiling where a power port may not be available and then running cable down from a 4/8port switch. and if that switch can could also pass through PoE power phones.

The other application too could be networked security cameras

Netonix and MikroTik both have some switches that can be powered by POE. I know some of the Netonix ones can also provide POE, but i'm not sure if any of the MikroTiks offer that.

Ubiquiti also has their EdgeRouter-X which can be powered by POE.

Netgear also has a switch that is powered via PoE, but it doesn't supply PoE power as well (power limits).

Long story short, not likely there will be many choice and they probably won't be cost effective.

I see there is a POEMax which does exactly what you're saying. The catch, since PoE standard is 15W max output, there isn't much room to play with. For $130 you can get a 10/100 switch with a 13W PSU, and it takes 3W off the top to run the switch giving you 10W available across 4 ports. That is enough to power 1 non PTZ camera, or possibly a phone. (I'd imagine that could vary)

http://netmedia.com/poemax_8400.html

The issue is that for a couple of cameras or phones you would be much better off just having an additional cable ran if you were already having cable pulled. I could see some very niche cases where you could use it to extend a far off camera, but you'd have to be over a 400ft run to require it. If the runs are already that long you'd just be better off having fiber ran to a new closet setting things up there properly. I definitely wouldn't want to have to troubleshoot someone's network that has a bunch of those things just zip tied in random places in the ceiling.

Long story short, not likely there will be many choice and they probably won't be cost effective.

I see there is a POEMax which does exactly what you're saying. The catch, since PoE standard is 15W max output, there isn't much room to play with. For $130 you can get a 10/100 switch with a 13W PSU, and it takes 3W off the top to run the switch giving you 10W available across 4 ports. That is enough to power 1 non PTZ camera, or possibly a phone. (I'd imagine that could vary)

http://netmedia.com/poemax_8400.html

The issue is that for a couple of cameras or phones you would be much better off just having an additional cable ran if you were already having cable pulled. I could see some very niche cases where you could use it to extend a far off camera, but you'd have to be over a 400ft run to require it. If the runs are already that long you'd just be better off having fiber ran to a new closet setting things up there properly. I definitely wouldn't want to have to troubleshoot someone's network that has a bunch of those things just zip tied in random places in the ceiling.

802.3AT can do 25.5W. You also have to factor in loss depending on cable lengths plus the power that the switch itself requires.

very cool info guys thanks!

I wouldn't want to trouble shoot something daisy chained this way either but in a couple OLD largish homes being converted to office space.....

I'm not keen on the idea but glad to know it 'maybe' an option.

I'm pretty sure HP has an 8port that is POE powered.

Back