Pocket PC Wireless Question

RocketMan

Weaksauce
I ActiveSync wirelessly on my iPaq 4150. Writing files to main memory is faster than the SD card, but neither appears to be fast enough to saturate 11Mbps.

I also ActiveSync my Toshiba PDA wirelessly. I also use this software for transferring files to the PDA over my wireless network.

It's definately faster than using the cradle.

I transfer files to and from an SD card using the usb cradle, and it's definitely slow, but I think it's just because it's a POS sandisk card that can barely hold a 1 mB/sec transfer rate.. lol...in fact, I think it's transferring at speeds of more like 500kB/sec to the sd card. Is this normal?

I have an ipaq 4355. It takes about 6 seconds to transfer 1 3meg mp3.

Originally posted by Y2K SE
I also ActiveSync my Toshiba PDA wirelessly. I also use this software for transferring files to the PDA over my wireless network.

It's definately faster than using the cradle.
So do you think it could be the cradle itself that is limiting my transfer speeds or is it more likely to be the sandisk sd card? In theory, the card should be able to sustain atleast 1.5 mb/sec, but I'm only getting around 500K/s.

Maybe I'll give wifi syncing and resco explorer file transfers a shot if it will improve my sad transfer rates.

I think that the ability of the PDA to read/write data, both to its onboard RAM and CF/SM/SC/etc media, is enough to saturate the available bandwidth of a USB 1 device. I've never seen published numbers for the actual read/write throughputs, though.

I will say that my Toshiba E750 will sync on its cradle much faster than the Jornada 568 it replaced. I use the WiFi sync method because the gold connectors on my Jornada would stop making a good connection on the cradle after a month of syncing. I would have to scuff them with sandpaper to restore its proper operation. I figured WiFi would be less maintenance.

Originally posted by Y2K SE
I think that the ability of the PDA to read/write data, both to its onboard RAM and CF/SM/SC/etc media, is enough to saturate the available bandwidth of a USB 1 device. I've never seen published numbers for the actual read/write throughputs, though.

I will say that my Toshiba E750 will sync on its cradle much faster than the Jornada 568 it replaced. I use the WiFi sync method because the gold connectors on my Jornada would stop making a good connection on the cradle after a month of syncing. I would have to scuff them with sandpaper to restore its proper operation. I figured WiFi would be less maintenance.
the usb1 port can push 11mbits, or 1.38 mbytes/sec and with my transfers I don't think I get quite that speed...I get more like 500-800kbytes/sec, and my SD card isn't really limiting me because I believe the sd card will do 1.5 mbytes/sec.

with my transfers, usb isn't limiting me because I still have some headroom with the usb bus, and the sd card isn't limiting me because I still have room to improve there, which leads me to believe that activsync or the actual ipaq cradle/transfer hardware is the culprit. Maybe new activesync versions will help the situation.

edit: so no, my usb bus isn't being saturated.

Well, 6 seconds for a 3MB file is better than I get over the WiFi. It takes about 15 seconds for me; I just timed it. There might be other factors there, though. It works well enough for me though, so I probably won't bother messing with it.

I was thinking about getting a SanDisk WiFi SD card. My only worry is that it I'll break the antenna off when its in my pocket. Can anyone vouch for the quality of a SD WiFi card?

Originally posted by sevisehda
I was thinking about getting a SanDisk WiFi SD card. My only worry is that it I'll break the antenna off when its in my pocket. Can anyone vouch for the quality of a SD WiFi card?

Don't get it. They are notorious for their poor quality. Spend about 50 more bucks and get a socket card. Socket cards are by far the best on the market. Better range and better quality overall.

Also, stray away from the ambicoms wifi cards. I had one and it died after about a month of use.

Is the card rigid enough that I can just leave it my PPC when the PPC is in my pocket or bag.

I'm kinda worried that the top of the card will snap off if.

I second the Socket recommendation. I tried the Sandisk with my Axim and it was a piece of crap range wise. With my Socket I can go as far out with it as I can with my laptop.

Originally posted by sevisehda
Is the card rigid enough that I can just leave it my PPC when the PPC is in my pocket or bag.

I'm kinda worried that the top of the card will snap off if.

lol, did you not hear me? regardless of whether the antenna is rigid, sandisk cards are pieces of shit. You'll be sorry...

horrible range and it is bound to die after a few months.

Originally posted by DooKey
I second the Socket recommendation. I tried the Sandisk with my Axim and it was a piece of crap range wise. With my Socket I can go as far out with it as I can with my laptop.
yeah, socket cards are great. I use the integrated wifi on my ipaq h4355 though. Great range there too. :D

Originally posted by Leright
Also, stray away from the ambicoms wifi cards. I had one and it died after about a month of use.

i've had my ambicom wireless cf nic for about 6 months now...running great

i would suggest you look for the smc cf wireless card i've seen in compusa for 60 bucks.

i sync wirelessly to my laptop. if i'm not on a wireless network i can sync via adhoc w/o having cables!

i use a jumpdrive trio as a usb 2.0 card reader for my sd card. makes things quick and easy...look into them...they are made by lexar

as for wireless lan...i can either dump stuff onto my axim from my laptop or on my laptop i use software called PocketLAN. do a google for it. you can map drives and such and the software is only like 10 bucks w/ a download after you pay for it.

edit: o yea...i used to sync using active sync via IR...slow but it got the job done just as fast as my usb but IR is no wires!

Originally posted by [wizard]
i sync wirelessly to my laptop. if i'm not on a wireless network i can sync via adhoc w/o having cables!
Have you managed to successfully sync remotely? I haven't been able to, yet.

Back