PNY Lets the RTX 2080 TI Cat Out of the Bag

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While there have been a lot of RTX 2080 leaks in the last few days, this leak that came directly from PNY's own site is probably the most on point. The PNY leaks show full product picture of their overclocked version of the RTX 2080 Ti, and even shows pricing at $1000. The pricing seems a bit off, and may not be right, as we generally see product pricing like that listed at $999.99, so it price gives us a bit of pause. We would suggest however that the specifications are spot on. Given that we have seen RTX 2080 Ti TDP specs listed at 250W, the elevated TDP on this overclocked card at 280W seems proper. Thanks to bigbluefe for the links!

Pics and specs.

Last edited:
They may have priced it before crypto-curra-mania imploded.
I wonder if the Turing ray tracing hardware can be used for mining?

Nahh, it's priced for it's performance, and new and expennsive GDDR6 memory to drive it.

The die size of the GTX 1080 Ti is 471 mm², but this monster built on the same process clocks in at 754 mm. That's the largest consumer card Nvidia has ever released, so it gets a price bump over the $700 1080 Ti.

Glad they went the 2080 naming scheme vs 1180. 1180 seemed so anticlimactic.

Reactions: ltron
like this
Damn that price, i WILL need to see benchmark and [H] review before even beginning to consider this.

I'd take PNY's pricing with a grain of salt, since their Pascal MSRP pricepoints were screwy too, and higher than most other AIB's.

Does this suggest that the Ti variant will release in parity with the rest of the line? If so, does that mean there will be another "Real Ti edition" 6 months to a year down the road? Or is this it? Assuming that the Ti is the "full power " variant of whatever chip its built upon, it would be nice if they were able to release it now if they have it, rather than pushing out the 1080 equivalent and call it top of the line for a time, only for the 1080 Ti to show it up in every way a little later and for quite a long duration.

I am a bit surprised at the only 11gb of RAM however. If nothing else and for 4K gaming, I thought they'd at least make 12GB the high end norm on a Ti type card, if not 16gb. As others have said, I'm curious if these Turing chips will be heavily optimized for mining certain kinds of crypto

The price point is probably off a bit, we have seen this before with online retailors prior to release quite a few times, then again zotacs AMP edition is known for odd price scheme's so there is the possibility they are just rounding it to the whole dollar instead.

This seems sketchy to me.

Usually the xx80 TI variants come several months after the xx80 variants.

We haven't even seen the base xx80 variants officially announced yet.

Wouldn't surprise me if the price shifts from $699 to $999 in one generation though. Nvidia are well known greedy motherfuckers, and AMD still isn't forcing them to lower prices by having anything to compete with even the current gen TI.

Last edited:
Does this suggest that the Ti variant will release in parity with the rest of the line? If so, does that mean there will be another "Real Ti edition" 6 months to a year down the road? Or is this it? Assuming that the Ti is the "full power " variant of whatever chip its built upon, it would be nice if they were able to release it now if they have it, rather than pushing out the 1080 equivalent and call it top of the line for a time, only for the 1080 Ti to show it up in every way a little later and for quite a long duration.

I am a bit surprised at the only 11gb of RAM however. If nothing else and for 4K gaming, I thought they'd at least make 12GB the high end norm on a Ti type card, if not 16gb. As others have said, I'm curious if these Turing chips will be heavily optimized for mining certain kinds of crypto

Probably not, it points to with previous leaks that NVidia had production ramping in the 2nd quarter and probably halted while refreshing the 10series line from the crypto scene due to no stock, then they had an overabundance of product to offload so they delayed the 2000series launch till product levels normalized a bit, ussually they release to 6months or later after initial release, so with that said they probably had production ramping in March and April which is about 6months from when the line might have originally released if they would have released it in the second quarter. Point is the time model may actually be releasing right on time while the other models were postponed, which ultimately led to them being released at the same time. The only thing we will probably see are a few ti models and a Titan release later on. I would seriously expect another 2 to 2.5 year lifespan though from this generation, NVidia was saying there new market strategy would be less releases but with larger gains between generations.

This all makes a little bit of sense with going with 2080 and the Ti variant out the door this time, as NVIDIA has HUGE amounts of last gen stock on hand. They have a lot of inventory to burn through before they start putting out new products that layer over the last gen in terms of performance.

They may have priced it before crypto-curra-mania imploded.
I wonder if the Turing ray tracing hardware can be used for mining?
it cant
was talking about this with some software guys and it looks like this may be NV end run around mining

As others have said, I'm curious if these Turing chips will be heavily optimized for mining certain kinds of crypto

its seeming like its the other way around and that NV's push for AI and ray tracing is end run around crypto mining as that part of the chip can not be use its all int cores no floating point

ram also may be tuned for clock speed of latency too also bad for mining

You people are to damn paranoid about mining. GPU mining is dead. The ROI is ridiculous if the price is around $1000. Even if the mining performance is double that of a 1080ti.

I'd take PNY's pricing with a grain of salt, since their Pascal MSRP pricepoints were screwy too, and higher than most other AIB's.
I agree. Apparently after factoring in for PNY's inflated MSRP, the true MSRP of the Ti card should be $800USD.

I'm not really much of a fan (no pun intended) of those aftermarket coolers, has anyone found any pics of the reference design/cooler?

I'm glad my gtx1060 will last another 4 years.

Not buying until geforce 6080 comes out.

AMD? Hello? We need some competition here. I'm not holding my breath over Intel - I see them being more mobile GPU, but who knows...

It will be interesting to see 2080 versus 1080 Ti, and then 2080 vs. 2080 Ti compared to what 1080 vs. 1080 Ti was

We now know that the 2080 will have 448 Gb/s bandwidth, given similiar clocks and a 256 bit bus. That is just under a 1080ti bandwidth.

The 2080 is rumored to have 2944 CUDA cores, which is right between the 1080 and 1080 ti.

Best guess, It will be closer to the 1080ti, given the bandwidth and any other improvements made.

Last edited:
Figures HDMI 2.0b :meh:

Well... ya. Can you show me any HDMI 2.1 gear? I'm aware of one company that has announced an HDMI 2.1 transceiver chip for receivers, but I don't know if it is actually on sale yet for manufactures to integrate. I don't know of any finished products implementing it. There are no HDMI 2.1 cables out there, while some lie about it, there is no final CTS released so you can't actually certify your cables.

You gotta remember there's a long time between something getting announced as a new standard, and that standard getting implemented to the point it is on the market. Once something is finalized as a standard, then the chip makers have to get on implementing it in silicon, which takes time. Once they have their chips out, ODMs can then get those and start integrating them in to systems, which can then finally be sold to end users.

We now know that the 2080 will have 448 Gb/s bandwidth, given similiar clocks and a 256 bit bus. That is just under a 1080ti bandwidth.

The 2080 is rumored to have 2944 CUDA cores, which is right between the 1080 and 1080 ti.

Best guess, It will be closer to the 1080ti, given the bandwidth and any other improvements made.

My bet: 2080 will be lightly over a 1080ti, and priced accordingly... That way it won't cannibalize sales of the 1080ti stock that is still there. likely be rebranded a 2070

I think $999.99 will be the starting price since AMD doesn't have anything due out yet. But I do think since the Cryptowars seem over for now, AMD may decide to drop the MSRP of the Vega 64 to attract more buyers. That being said, I've had Ray tracing on my Vega FE cards for a while since they came out and have not had any issues with them. Although I am not doing anymore high end video editing with them since my contract dried up. My Vega FE's will be with me for another few years after spending $799 each for them when I got them on black Friday last year. I'm super happy with their performance since I figured out the driver issues with those cards.

Reactions: noko
like this
I think $999.99 will be the starting price since AMD doesn't have anything due out yet. But I do think since the Cryptowars seem over for now, AMD may decide to drop the MSRP of the Vega 64 to attract more buyers. That being said, I've had Ray tracing on my Vega FE cards for a while since they came out and have not had any issues with them. Although I am not doing anymore high end video editing with them since my contract dried up. My Vega FE's will be with me for another few years after spending $799 each for them when I got them on black Friday last year. I'm super happy with their performance since I figured out the driver issues with those cards.

Biggest issue im running into with them is getting them to hold a decent clock speed since wattman crashes so much..

I currently have a 980 and there is no way in hell I will pay 1000 bucks for a video card. Some of the leaks have indicated that the 1080ti might be a bit faster then the 2080, which seems a bit silly?

I currently have a 980 and there is no way in hell I will pay 1000 bucks for a video card. Some of the leaks have indicated that the 1080ti might be a bit faster then the 2080, which seems a bit silly?
It won't be $1k. That was a placeholder price and the newbies are running wild. That or vets who pay no attention to launches and somehow are shocked at that fact.

The 2080 ti is gonna be pushing slightly under 1k. This has been the overwhelming speculation for months. It will stay that way till AMD brings something competitive.

Straight to the Ti version already? I’ll believe it when I see it.
Lol how can you possibly doubt it at this point? Have you really not bothered looking at all of the news and leaks? It is 100% apparent that the Ti is launching either at the same exact time or very soon after the 2080. :rolleyes:

And it should not be hard to figure out why either.

Reactions: Oppy
like this
Back