PNY GTX 980 Ti $634

I'd rather spend $200 more for anything but PNY, but if you like playing the lottery it's not a bad deal!

These reference cards should all be the same, so I wouldn't let the PNY brand impact your decision on the quality of the card itself, especially since they are Nvidia's Quadro board partner. Looks like lifetime warranty to original purchaser upon registration, not sure if that is limited to life of card or w/e or how good they are in case you need a warranty fulfilled. EVGA is truly the best in that regard so spending extra may be worth it to most.

That said I would prob pay just a bit more for the EVGA as well.

I've been burned by that company more than any other in tech all combined. You have fun though.

I used PNY gpus exclusively for about 3 years for numerous builds and never had a single return on them. Probably close to a 100 builds with them I'd venture. The OCZ and Thermaltake products were the worst offenders for failures or quirkiness.

Pny only has a 1year warranty. The worst warranty in the business. Hard pass!

I had a 6600 PNY for like 9 years until the fan went belly up I just added some oil =)

Not a personal attack by any means, but this is wrong.

PNY offers a Lifetime warranty as long as you register the card within 90 days on their site. This has always been their policy.

PNYWarranty.png

https://www.pny.com/File Library/Su...Graphics/Life-XLR8-warranty-2-21-13_v2_v1.pdf <-- Warranty Explanation

"(*Lifetime upon completion of a registration form on PNY's website )"

Yeah, 1 year warranty is a no-go.

As has been stated they have lifetime warranties and their customer service has always been responsive unlike Asus or MSI. They are based in the US if I remember correctly and have been in the industry for over 20 years. Outside of EVGA, PNY is the only other company I buy graphic cards from.

Apparently the warranty car inside of the box says something else. Unless things have changed. But they have been playing the word game for a while now. Excluding the below wordage from their PDF is a good sign but I wouldn't still be suspicious.

"life of the product"

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/08/25/pny_geforce_gtx_760_xlr8_oc_video_card_review/#.VZEPN_lVhBd

LIFETIME WARRANTY - PNY Technologies, Inc. ("PNY") warrants the product, to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the product as sold to the original purchaser ("purchaser"), subject to all the terms and conditions hereunder. This warranty is for replacement for like items only. Lifetime replacement warranty does not cover items out of production if the company no longer stocks them. (Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product.) This warranty is not assignable.

Apparently the warranty car inside of the box says something else. Unless things have changed. But they have been playing the word game for a while now. Excluding the below wordage from their PDF is a good sign but I wouldn't still be suspicious.

"life of the product"

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/08/25/pny_geforce_gtx_760_xlr8_oc_video_card_review/#.VZEPN_lVhBd

It appears what they're saying is that they can't replace the product if it's no longer on the market, but would replace it with a "like" product that is up to date. This is reasonable.

Side question: Does EVGA have equal, better, or worse warranty coverage than this?

As has been stated they have lifetime warranties and their customer service has always been responsive unlike Asus or MSI. They are based in the US if I remember correctly and have been in the industry for over 20 years. Outside of EVGA, PNY is the only other company I buy graphic cards from.

The few times that I used PNY products I had really good results. But I'm sure that there is someone out there that has had issues. Asus was the worst customer service I have ever had for the Phoebus sound card I bought from them.

It appears what they're saying is that they can't replace the product if it's no longer on the market, but would replace it with a "like" product that is up to date. This is reasonable.

Side question: Does EVGA have equal, better, or worse warranty coverage than this?
That is wrong. The reason manufactures use "lifetime of the product" is to customers. I've ran into this issue in the past.

(Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product.)

That is wrong. The reason manufactures use "lifetime of the product" is to customers. I've ran into this issue in the past.
And that is wrong. If you doubt that then give them a call yourself and ask. They will replace it with a comparable card if the card under warranty is no longer being made. They really need to edit their wording in their policy as it keeps some people from buying their cards.

I agree completely, and honestly, who cares? Is someone really going to be fishing for a 980Ti 6 years from now when this card is beyond outdated and incapable of playing modern games? Or would you not be jumping for joy to get a current generations replacement?

If someone is looking THAT far out, and feels what PNY is offering is a raw deal, then you sir will NEVER be content with what you have......... As long as they answer the phone and say "Yes, we will replace your dead 980Ti with a current generation equivalent since we stopped making that card 4 years ago", then I am good!

Last edited:
They have many non reference cards.

Yes they do. They've been making cards forever too.. I have a purple PCB GeForce FX5700 Ultra from them with a gold cooler... snazzy looking older card - that still works! I have no idea about their warranty but I always thought of them as good video card mfg. Alas the deal is dead.. but just my 0.02

Well i got my zotac for 610 with 40 dollars off. I could tell it was a cheaper manufacturer compared to evga. They had no covers for anything but it is a reference card so the card itself is the same just didn't come with port dust blockers and stuff. The Evga card was definitely worth it also. saved me over 100 dollars on a powersupply. You get a promo for 50% off powersupply and i needed one going sli. So i got the 1600W G2 for 180 dollars. Got 9.9/10 on johnnyguru and would have been 10/10 if it wasn't a faulty sample but no one else got that faulty sample so most likely just one of those 1 out of a 100 unlucky ones that didn't meet standards. I would have bought the 1200W P2 but not in supply and I don't want to wait. 1300W G2 has red cables i don't like and the fan is apparantely noiser. I figure 1600W gold running around 50% load is just as efficient as a Plat running 70% load.

EVGA will send you a newer equivalent card should your card is dead. I RMAed a GTX 285 and got GTX 760 in return. No one compares to EVGA in this area.

Back