PNY GTX 580 -- Should I Get a Different 580?

dolorousdave

Limp Gawd
So, here are the specs for the card I recently purchased on eBay. Seems to be in good working condition but it's definitely a year old and I'm wondering if better options in the $400-range have become available?

Here are the specs for this card:

PNY XLR8 GTX 580 Enthusiast Edition
Product Specifications
Core Clock 772 MHz
Processor Cores 512
Processor Clock 1544 MHz
Texture Fill Rate 49.4 Billion/sec.
Memory Amount 1536MB GDDR5
Memory Data Rate, effective 4008 MHz
Memory Interface 384-bit
Memory Bandwidth 192.4 GB/sec.

Seems to run between 70-80C under full load. Most games I've tried seem to run great on max settings, but I'm definitely noticing some hitching and the fan is definitely a little louder than I'd like.

Just wondering if it might be worth re-selling this card for $300 or so and getting a brand new GTX 580 that's been manufactured more recently?

Last edited:
so you think something might be wrong with the card and you want to unload it on someone else for 300 bucks?

so you think something might be wrong with the card and you want to unload it on someone else for 300 bucks?

At what point in my post did I say that? I asked if there are quieter/faster 580s out there that might be even better than what I have. Ffs, I hate the internet.

If you buy a GTX 580 for $400 and sell it for $300, you're at net -$100 dollars. So if you buy another 580 again at $400, you've just spent $500 on a GTX580. So no, this is obviously a bad decision.

You've listed a pretty average spec'd reference 580. 70-80 is pretty normal depending on games, and you just wrote "most games I've tried seem to run great on max settings". Without knowing the rest of your system, that sounds about right. They are pretty powerful cards, and the only reason to upgrade to anything faster right now is for 2560 resolutions or multimonitor. Anything else is wasting your money.

Source: I had 580 SLI.

At what point in my post did I say that? I asked if there are quieter/faster 580s out there that might be even better than what I have. Ffs, I hate the internet.
you edited your comment. the way you originally had it worded made it sound like there was an issue. and you are asking about getting a different gtx580 which at this point would be silly if there is nothing wrong with your card.

A reference GTX 580 typically runs 70-80C under load.

As for the hitching, are you experiencing this at relatively high FPS?

What type of sounds are emitting from the fan?

Allow me to clarify--I only paid $300 for the card in the first place, so I wouldn't be losing any money. The fan isn't making any weird noises, it's just that I notice it way more than I did on my HD5870.

Those things being said, I was thinking maybe a Twin Frozr II or something like that might fit my needs a little better.

If its under 100c, then its A-OK.

I'd say run it into the ground. If you want it to be smoother, then OC it. The maybe 25-50 mhz you'll gain by going to a TF2 or 3 card is going to be insignificant.

Back