PNY GeForce 6800 Ultra for $350 at CompUSA!!!

Emret said:
is it possible to get a PM the day GTs hits compusa (7/1 i believe)

As long as they have it in stock, another store will price match if it is the same item... (results may vary)

You might even save a little more money, because of the 110% of the difference policy.

i think ill go into my local compusa on july 1st right when the doors open, and try this. thx guys :D saving 150 bucks, you cant pass that kind of deal up.

how do they find it out if its in stock ? they call the store ? check online ?

None of them will have it in stock at the moment.

But after the first, you should be able to call and have them check inventory/delivery status on these cards if you talk nicely to the right people.

This reminds me of when I got my 4600 from BestBuy for $140. :)
I'm gonna check this out Thurs. afternoon. I'd say the outlook is good for me since I always deal with their business desk (corporate discounts rock). I'll let you know what happens.

BobbyD said:
According to sherkelman in this thread, NVidia is producing the first allotment of 6800s. I guess the guy is a rep for BFG so he should know what he's talking about.

I'd still rather have the BFG for the warranty, but if I can get the PNY for $350 then I'll take it.

I was looking at the PNY website here:
http://www.pny.com/products/verto/geForce6/6800gt.asp
They got a lifetime replacement warranty too... too bad lifetime means the production life of the product. Pretty much if they keep it in stock, it's under warranty. Here's the fine print:
http://www.pny.com/support/warranty/?prod=verto

They wouldnt sell me the Ultra because its A07, but the 6800 GT is A01(i think thats stock terms she used). A01 means they will get them in stock, but arent sure when. So, I was able to pick up two GTs today for $279 each, WOOT! :D :D

6800GTDeal.jpg

trudude said:
Well I dunno about you guys, but I am gonna be at CompUSA when they open the doors on July 1st. I talked to two CompUSA associates in the Pricing and Availability department and they told me that there will be PNY 6800 Ultras at two of the locations closest to me and that they will honor the 30% off. They both told me exactly the same thing. I really want to tell you guys where they will be, but I am worried that they will run out of stock of them. I will update you guys when I get back home Thursday afternoon. I will tell you all where I got it as well as take pictures of the card and scan photos of the receipt.

Just an FYI....talked to my op manager buddy last night. He said the reason the 6800u is now tagged A07 is that it will not be available at ANY CompUSA store. It will only be available through the web. He said this could change but he highly doubted it seeing it was just tagged A07 a few days ago.

I don't want to imply anything here but consider this.....the PNY 30% sale is in store only.....a decision was made to only sell the 6800u via the web. Think about it. :rolleyes:

That would be a real bummer. Oh well. If I wait for more than 2 weeks I will just go and order the BFG card from Best Buy

OrionNT said:
They wouldnt sell me the Ultra because its A07, but the 6800 GT is A01(i think thats stock terms she used). A01 means they will get them in stock, but arent sure when. So, I was able to pick up two GTs today for $279 each, WOOT! :D :D

6800GTDeal.jpg

did u say PREPAY, what were the exact words u used, but when i went in their none of them knew how to do a prepay or pre-order, so i couldn't get it.

Yes, I PREPAID. I went in about half hour after they opened and was greeted by a very nice lady walking towards the CS desk. I told her that I would like to PREPAY for an item that was currently not in stock but should be in soon. The reason I told her for prepaying was that it should be in stock soon, but it will probably sell out right away. I gave her the part numbers for both the Ultra (313398) and the GT (314102) and showed her the 30% off on the ad. She then went over to what looked like the managers office. After talking to him for a few minutes she came back and said that the she couldnt sell the Ultra because it was A07, but she could sell the GT but they dont know when it will be in stock. Then I say, "thats cool, can I get two?, lady "Sure", me "SWEET". It worked out perfect except for me forgeting to use an old ass compusa gift card.

wow OrionNT nice grab. you cant beat that lol. getting two GT's for a bit over the MSRP of a utlra. very nice :cool: looks like you gotta change your sig now ;)

what time they open up? im planning on getting there first thing tommorrow, hopefully to score a Ultra :D

Blackwind said:
Just an FYI....talked to my op manager buddy last night. He said the reason the 6800u is now tagged A07 is that it will not be available at ANY CompUSA store. It will only be available through the web. He said this could change but he highly doubted it seeing it was just tagged A07 a few days ago.

I don't want to imply anything here but consider this.....the PNY 30% sale is in store only.....a decision was made to only sell the 6800u via the web. Think about it. :rolleyes:

There is no reason for them to not carry Ultras at the stores but on the web.

As long as they get their cards in stock in the warehouse, they'll have it on the store shelves.

i can't get a straight answer even with the prepay, and i don't feel like travelling back and forth without a guarentee, anyone in edison,nj area wanna do this for me! i feel so nerdish right now its scary.

trudude said:
Well I dunno about you guys, but I am gonna be at CompUSA when they open the doors on July 1st. I talked to two CompUSA associates in the Pricing and Availability department and they told me that there will be PNY 6800 Ultras at two of the locations closest to me and that they will honor the 30% off. They both told me exactly the same thing. I really want to tell you guys where they will be, but I am worried that they will run out of stock of them. I will update you guys when I get back home Thursday afternoon. I will tell you all where I got it as well as take pictures of the card and scan photos of the receipt.

You may be able to phone the CompUSA and ask them to hold one for you (I know some stores like Office Depot and I believe Staples can hold an item for you for a day or so).

Thatnks in advance for helping us out with the information.

I may be able to try this on the 1st, if not, my last chance is this Saturday (the 3rd) when I go to visit my uncle in northern NJ. However, I don't know how I'll go to pick it up if it is not in stock..

Can I ask a question? Why hasn't there been more discussion regarding the X800Pro? I checked the review that was done right here and from what I saw, the X800Pro was neck-in-neck with the 6800Ultra in frame rate and was even better than the Ultra, in some cases, when it came to image quality?

No "fanboyage". I'm just a little confused. :)

Incidentally, I just spoke to "Sharika" on the CompUSA rebate "hotline" (kills me) and she told me that I could pre-pay for the Ultra, or whatever, then mail in the rebate form that I would fill out right then and there. And as long as it's post-marked by the 3rd, then all I would have to do is mail in the "UPC Code" once the card came in and they would issue my the rebate through the mail.

Cumbersome, tedious, frustrating and slow, but hey, if it's gonna save me $150, then why the heck not!! :D

That reminds me. I have to purchase every other item that will be the new home for this 6800Ultra. Sorta like buying a sweet SubZero fridge when you don't even have the plans for the house drawn yet. ;)

Back to our regularly-scheduled program. :cool:

Momental said:
Can I ask a question? Why hasn't there been more discussion regarding the X800Pro? I checked the review that was done right here and from what I saw, the X800Pro was neck-in-neck with the 6800Ultra in frame rate and was even better than the Ultra, in some cases, when it came to image quality?

No "fanboyage". I'm just a little confused. :)

Incidentally, I just spoke to "Sharika" on the CompUSA rebate "hotline" (kills me) and she told me that I could pre-pay for the Ultra, or whatever, then mail in the rebate form that I would fill out right then and there. And as long as it's post-marked by the 3rd, then all I would have to do is mail in the "UPC Code" once the card came in and they would issue my the rebate through the mail.

Cumbersome, tedious, frustrating and slow, but hey, if it's gonna save me $150, then why the heck not!! :D

That reminds me. I have to purchase every other item that will be the new home for this 6800Ultra. Sorta like buying a sweet SubZero fridge when you don't even have the plans for the house drawn yet. ;)

Back to our regularly-scheduled program. :cool:

I don't know what are you talking about that Ultra totally leaves X800 Pro in dust...

Maybe it was the driver but if you check the reviews that were done recently, you can easily say that Ultras are way faster than X800 Pros.

It's the battle between Ultra and XT.

Problem is, there is no rebate form. It is an instant savings.

Got in on a GT for 299 after tax this morning after stopping at all three KompUSSR's in the St Louis Metro Area. Anyone in StL looking to get in on this, try the store at 44 and Lindbergh first!

Justinkoko said:
I don't know what are you talking about that Ultra totally leaves X800 Pro in dust...
but according to the [H]'s latest review, it doesnt.
:eek:

not trying to base a purchase on one review but its just kinda strange that many sites have shown the ultra beating the x800pro by alot and even the GT beating it by a bit. but in [H]'s latest review the ultra and pro were pretty close.

just weird IMO.

To answer Momental's question, do you know of any place where I can score a Radeon X800 Pro for $280? I would much rather take a Radeon X800 Pro for that price than the GeForce 6800 Ultra, because then I wouldn't have driver complications. I'll probably end up having to reformat my machine (rid of all ATI drivers) and use Nvidia's ForceWare (isn't the name a bit ironic).

Bad_Boy said:

not trying to base a purchase on one review but its just kinda strange that many sites have shown the ultra beating the x800pro by alot and even the GT beating it by a bit. but in [H]'s latest review the ultra and pro were pretty close.

just weird IMO.

All of these issues are related to driver concerns. The latest set of drivers increase performance a great deal accross the board. Nvidia has a new core, there will be a lot of driver tweaking for some time.

i love how i'm involved in the hype of being able to play a game with full specs, at the highest resolution. O VIDEOGAMES I AM A SLAVE TO YOU!

lopoetve said:
All of these issues are related to driver concerns. The latest set of drivers increase performance a great deal accross the board. Nvidia has a new core, there will be a lot of driver tweaking for some time.
didnt the new [H] review use new drivers? using the same drivers that many other review sites used that showed the ultra in a pretty big lead over the x800pro.

i just find it odd that [H]'s new review shows the x800pro keeping up with the ultra when all these other reviewers showing the GT beating the pro by a bit. dont you?

anyways im probally gonna get this deal tommorrow if possible, cause its probally the only way ill be able to pay for a top end next gen card and still afford the
hl2 collectors edition or doom 3 :D

Bad_Boy said:

just weird IMO.

That was my point exactly. :)

I'm all for spending a lot less for a product that is "almost as good" as the thing that costs 50% more. And more importantly, I'm not brand loyal by any means. So, whoever makes the best product, ATi or nVidia, is what will guide my decision.

The question had been raised earlier regarding what one is looking for in a card. I think, ultimately, I'd prefer a "prettier" frame instead more frames with lesser quality in some games, but would opt for smoothness in framerate as opposed to a perfectly painted screen in others. Hell, we all want the best of both worlds, right? That's actually a difficult question to answer. I have to say it's 51% in favor of good framerate and 49% going for a beautiful image. :)

well i just called an spoke to a representative, i don't know if anyone said this but their will be 0! 6800gt send out on the first and the rest of that week. the shipment will be delayed and obviously that discount should not apply. so anyone that has them good job on getting it, but for the rest of us we are screwed. at least i save some money :D

Justinkoko said:
There is no reason for them to not carry Ultras at the stores but on the web. As long as they get their cards in stock in the warehouse, they'll have it on the store shelves.

Actually there is plenty of reason to. The sale (which is in store only) was designed to thin out present PNY stock....not kill their profit margin on the new 6800 cards. This is coming direct from CompUSA corporate. They do not intend on selling the PNY 6800U in store at all...hence the A07 tag.

I just got this email...

Jason,
The PNY 6800 is a new card that we have not yet received. We can take and
advance order on the product but it would not be eligible for the current
30% off promotion on PNY Video cards. We are unable at this time to give
you a frim date on when this card will be available in the store.

Frank Liburdy
General Sales Manager #457

Blackwind said:
Actually there is plenty of reason to. The sale (which is in store only) was designed to thin out present PNY stock....not kill their profit margin on the new 6800 cards. This is coming direct from CompUSA corporate. They do not intend on selling the PNY 6800U in store at all...hence the A07 tag.

If that's the case, there is no reason for them to not sell Ultra after this week.

I can wait a week to save $150.

Spiff1333 said:
The 30% off is only this week.

Yea, that's why I was saying, there is no reason for them to not sell it next week because 30% is only effective until Saturday of this week.

I'll be at the store on 7/1 9:00AM

If they dont have the card do you think they'll let me PREBUY with the %30 sale ?

Emret said:

If they dont have the card do you think they'll let me PREBUY with the %30 sale ?

some stores do, others don't. Its basically hit or miss, 50/50 chance.

Emret said:

no stores will have the 6800gt/u in but u can still ask about the prebuy.

Qwertyman said:
no stores will have the 6800gt/u in but u can still ask about the prebuy.

You really wouldnt lay out a fact like that with ONLY talking to ONE costumer rep WOULD you ? Cuz we all know they say all kinds of shit which has no value whatsoever..

People have been gettings GT's and they've been told it'd hit the store 7/1

[UPDATE]

I just got a phone call from CompUSA that they can't honor the deal now..

I was one of the people who actually prepaid for the card.

Did anyone hear who were able to get the deal got any calls from CompUSA?

Justinkoko said:
[UPDATE]

I just got a phone call from CompUSA that they can't honor the deal now..

I was one of the people who actually prepaid for the card.

Did anyone hear who were able to get the deal got any calls from CompUSA?

GT or ULTRA ?

Emret said:
GT or ULTRA ?

Ultra..

I was able to hold the deal still but not sure if they are going to let me.

If there are people around who didn't get the call, then I'm going to call them back to see what's going on.

Justinkoko said:
If that's the case, there is no reason for them to not sell Ultra after this week.

I can wait a week to save $150.

There are other reasons involved......which I've left out..... :D

If my boy says they won't be selling them in stores...it's for a reason.

The first day I went... I failed three or four times... Next day I walked out with a reciept.

Try again. Be friendly and polite to the person who is helping you. (You want to talk to the Business Sales Manager or Representative... (The black shirts have some powers)

It is very easy to get frustrated after being moved all over the store back and forth to talk to this guy, then that guy... only to be told, "No, we can't do it"

But they can and will. They won't want to... but they will.

I figure, since they hooked me up after being a crappy store for so long... I will go down and buy some small items I would usually order online. Maybe some grills and cables... high profit crap to help out their numbers for the day...

Is you scratch a nerds back... we can scratch yours too. :p

CSx-2011 said:
The first day I went... I failed three or four times... Next day I walked out with a reciept.

Try again. Be friendly and polite to the person who is helping you. (You want to talk to the Business Sales Manager or Representative... (The black shirts have some powers)

It is very easy to get frustrated after being moved all over the store back and forth to talk to this guy, then that guy... only to be told, "No, we can't do it"

But they can and will. They won't want to... but they will.

I figure, since they hooked me up after being a crappy store for so long... I will go down and buy some small items I would usually order online. Maybe some grills and cables... high profit crap to help out their numbers for the day...

Is you scratch a nerds back... we can scratch yours too. :p

For me, I know I woulda been a bit more ticked off knowing that others were getting the deal and having to try and hit 2 or 3 other comp usa's to try and get it, it just didn't seem to be worth the hassle.

So I called around for about an hour on Monday, found out that Frys had 29 GT's sitting in the warehouse and hit the checkout button, $444 Tax, S/H (12 bucks for overnight DHL was sweet) and I got a card in my puter already.

Back