PNY CS1100 240GB SSD - $69.99 @ Amazon & Best Buy

A15G

Supreme [H]ardness
Amazon

Best Buy

The 480GB was $139 not to long ago, they have the 240gb for a pretty reasonable price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How's the performance/quality on PNY SSD's? Haven't used a PNY product since my GTX 8800

How's the performance/quality on PNY SSD's? Haven't used a PNY product since my GTX 8800

Not bad, I wouldn't say Samsung PRO quality or Corsair/Intel either, but they are better than Kingston/AData in regards to SSD's.

Don't intend to hijack the thread, but the topic came up. I got in on the $139 deal from Amazon for the 480 GB. I've had a lot of trouble with the SSD dropping offline and becoming invisible to the BIOS until a hard power cycle.

This is in a computer with 4 other SSDs that have run for more than a year with no trouble. I have updated the MB BIOS and tried moving the SSD to another SATA port, replaced the SATA and power cables. The SSD seems fine until I attempt to create a VM on the SSD and begin the OS installation. The SSD drops completely from the computer during the file extraction step of OS installation - every time!

I submit a request on the PNY site on Sunday and still have not received a response.

Don't intend to hijack the thread, but the topic came up. I got in on the $139 deal from Amazon for the 480 GB. I've had a lot of trouble with the SSD dropping offline and becoming invisible to the BIOS until a hard power cycle.

This is in a computer with 4 other SSDs that have run for more than a year with no trouble. I have updated the MB BIOS and tried moving the SSD to another SATA port, replaced the SATA and power cables. The SSD seems fine until I attempt to create a VM on the SSD and begin the OS installation. The SSD drops completely from the computer during the file extraction step of OS installation - every time!

I submit a request on the PNY site on Sunday and still have not received a response.

Probably a dud. I got one from that deal as well and put it in the Dell Precision m4600 laptop I got from their memorial day outlet sale. Installed Windows on it with no issues, and it's working fine at the moment as the boot drive. I did an SSD test on it, and it tested about 395/400 on read/write. I'm not actually even sure if that port on this laptop is truly SATA 3, and I might not even have selected the correct option for max performance from the drive in the BIOS. I'm also not sure if it being the boot drive affects the benchmark. Either way it's working quite well, so I'm satisfied. Just exchange yours at the retailer.

I am interested in the outcome of this warranty claim with PNY.

Many stories, internet wives tales I'm sure, depict PNY as a company that likes to EOL products then claim they are out of warranty.

Please follow up if you can.

I am interested in the outcome of this warranty claim with PNY.

Many stories, internet wives tales I'm sure, depict PNY as a company that likes to EOL products then claim they are out of warranty.

Please follow up if you can.

Why would he/she do a warranty claim on it? It was purchased just recently. Never do a warranty claim when you can simply exchange at store...

Especially when it's Amazon you're dealing with. You have 30 days wtf...

Last edited:
Why would he/she do a warranty claim on it? It was purchased just recently. Never do a warranty claim when you can simply exchange at store...

Especially when it's Amazon you're dealing with. You have 30 days wtf...

wtf yourself

He said he contacted PNY.
I'm interested to see if they honor the warranty.
Word is they don't.

wtf??

He never said what type of request he submitted. "Submitted a request" is very vague. I just don't see who in their right mind would claim warranty on something delivered a few days ago as opposed to simply exchanging it with Amazon, which is a store that has one of the best exchange/return policies in very likely the world. I dearly hope that it wasn't a warranty request with PNY, because that would be a terrible decision.

wtf yourself

He said he contacted PNY.
I'm interested to see if they honor the warranty.
Word is they don't.

wtf??

I've never had a problem with PNY honoring their warranties. Been one of the better companies out there.

He never said what type of request he submitted. "Submitted a request" is very vague. I just don't see who in their right mind would claim warranty on something delivered a few days ago as opposed to simply exchanging it with Amazon, which is a store that has one of the best exchange/return policies in very likely the world. I dearly hope that it wasn't a warranty request with PNY, because that would be a terrible decision.

Same here.

If I had 30 days to return and it acted up a few days after I bought it maybe I picked the bad apple. Just return it lol.

Submitted a request for support. The drive drops off the computer during OS installation. I can still return the drive, but would rather keep it if there is something that can be done to fix the problem. I still have not received a response from PNY.

I have been using the 240GB variant of this PNY hard drive heavily for 6 months now and it has been rock solid. I literally just installed a 500gb 850 evo model MZ - 75E500 about 15 mins ago because I needed more ssd drive space. Samsung's magician software shows the evo being a lot faster overall except in random write speed where the PNY kept beating it over and over again on average except on the last test the evo got the following scores - seq read/write 3790/2737 MB/s random read/write 110161/67634 MB/s The PNY CS1100 240gb 461/285 and 64464/56132. Not sure how reliable or good of a test Magician is but it seems like the evo was a great buy. I got the 512GB for $180 a little over a month ago. I can honestly say I love the PNY drive though regardless of the benchmarks. I never gave me any trouble and was way faster than my raptor mechanical drive it replaced. It is a good deal for sure. Would buy again.

Back