PNY 6800 Ultra

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
So I Pre-ordered the 6800 Ultra from ComUSA. I have a comp card so I get the 6 months same as cash no interest. Right now I have the X800 XT and 6800 Ultra on Pre-Order. The 6800 Ultra is scheduled to ship on the 1st of July and the X800 XT on the 20th of July. I'm leaning towards the nVidia card right now because both cards are so similar in performance and IQ it's really tough to decide. The 6800 Ultra however I feel comes with more future beneficial features so honestly I'd like to go with them.

Honestly has anyone used the new drivers for the 6800 Ultra yet? My system is in my signature below. Does anyone else have the 6800 Ultra and running a similar system? If so could you post some benchies and some general thoughts of the games you play?

I mainly play FarCry and UT2004. Thanks in advance...

Also how solid are the new drivers for nVidia?

I wouldn't buy based on PS 3.0 as an advantage, it is unproven and it is uncertain how many games will even use it. I would buy based on your wallet, if you have the dough then get a 6800 Ultra and a new Power supply (unless you already have a 480w PS), the difference in performance is basically none, if you look at the games where Nvidia beats ATi, those are the games that are optamized for that card, same the other way around, and when one beats the other it is usually not more than 5 or 6 fps which is not verry noticeable when your running 60~70 fps.

Captain_Insano said:
I wouldn't buy based on PS 3.0 as an advantage, it is unproven and it is uncertain how many games will even use it. I would buy based on your wallet, if you have the dough then get a 6800 Ultra and a new Power supply (unless you already have a 480w PS), the difference in performance is basically none, if you look at the games where Nvidia beats ATi, those are the games that are optamized for that card, same the other way around, and when one beats the other it is usually not more than 5 or 6 fps which is not verry noticeable when your running 60~70 fps.

He doesn't need a 480w PSU. A name brand 400w PSU will more then suffice.

Both the 6800u and the X800XT PE will perform very well though so i would buy according to your budget. If you can get the X800XT PE for $100-$200 less then the 6800u then go for it. If they are relatively in the same price range then definitely get the 6800u.

Captain_Insano said:

I'm not simply buying the 6800 Ultra just due to SM3.0. I'm buying it because it does seem to come with more features. Both cards are great cards; I play a lot of FarCry and with the 1.2 Patch coming out soon that game will utilize some of SM3.0 shaders; at least from what I have read.

Honestly this time around I'd like to give nVidia a go as well. I've had ATI since the 9700 Pro's came out.

Seems as though PNY has some shoddy Q/A with their products anymore. There's another thread about heat issues which was from a missing screw holding the hsf on. I was thinking about the PNY a while back but then saw the BFG from Bestbuy and went that route.

I realize that. I am basing it on previous experience with PNY and the problems people are having with their current cards.

Actually, I think he was surprised that you dished out the cash for a 6800U when you've already got an X800Pro.

Ahh, well the Pro will be hitting Ebay once I have my 6800 installed. I just started using Ebay and it's addicting lol. I keep looking for stuff to sell.

I would personally go with the 6800U, but you're in a win-win situation either way. Just be wary of PNY's "Lifetime warranty". It's total BS. Its a warranty for the production lifetime of a card.... so what 6 months to a year :p ? They refuse to RMA my brothers broken ti4400 because of this.... you won't get in that situation with BFG or other companies with true, clearly specified warranties.

Back