Plugging in or unplugging a USB device causes audio volume to drop

mga

n00b
This issue popped up out of nowhere recently. If I plug in or unplug any USB device then the volume on any program actively outputting sound will drop to near mute level. I've got to open up the volume mixer and turn the individual programs sound back up.

It's not extremely annoying but an annoyance nonetheless. I'm on Windows 7 with an Asus P5K Deluxe motherboard.

Anyone have this issue before or know what may be causing it?

Have you tried right clicking the speaker icon and going to sounds, communication and telling the computer to do nothing with sounds when the computer detects communication activity? I know having this set to like 50% will cause volumes to drop when skype is being used.

Last edited:
Weird. Sounds like something that might happen with some sound card's auto sensing feature. Also, it sounds like something that could happen when a sound card is auto-leveling (compressing) mic input levels.

Try disabling whatever functions that can automatically change your sound card's settings or levels. Hell, it could be that something is causing an oddball short which is triggering the sound card to mute itself because it thinks there's a really loud input signal somewhere in the chain.

Have you tried right clicking the speaker icon and going to sounds, communication and telling the computer to do nothing with sounds when the computer detects communication activity? I know having this set to like 50% will cause volumes to drop when skype is being used.

Did it for me.

But...why the hell does plugging in a NON communication device WHEN NOT in a phone call affect volume?!

Anyway, thanks a ton!

Bit of a necro but thanks for this - i have had the issue for ages. Finally got around to googling it and i find the answer here at [H]

>:)

Damn I was getting paranoid suspecting some shorts either in my arduino or my z68pro mobo... Problem solved. Thanks [H]! No thanks to usoft...

Back