Pls help Low latency or high fsb for a64's?

There was some guy who did a comparison between an athlon 64 with changes in fsb, and changes in the different latencies to see what kind of effect they had on performance does any1 know where this info is (I need to stop the spread of an evil lie. Thx, also any1 who knows which is better can post high fsb, or low memory timings

I would say high fsb, timings will help with the latency when sending data etc. But most of what that needs to be sent quickly alot (which would be were the performance boost is at) will be in the cpu's cache already. But memory bandwidth on the other hand cant be helped with caching. (big things that are loaded once) So you would want to get the highest fsb you can get, then adjust timings. If you cant get good timings there, maybe lower the fsb a *little* and see if you can get more etc.

The problem with testing in a game like he did is there are about a million other factors in play and he cant say without a doubt that it is just the ram doing it. And of course this boost can vary game to game.

I dont know what review you are reffering to, but I was told by Ramguy at Corsair, that there test shows a 30% performance increase using high fsb rather then low latency.

http://forums.anandtech.com/message...1475190&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

This should be of interest to you. Basically, in this specific setup, low latency takes either no lead or a small one in most benchmarks (winrar shows solid improvement). The "high FSB" mantra has its stake in K7 but loses footing in K8 ground.

My own take from the post is that the results fall into the margin of error for "your experience may vary." I suggest you take your specific hardware and find two or three overclocks which each push the edge in their own category, run a variety of (non-synthetic) benchmarks which relate to your needs as a user and take your pick. This question is asked over and over and the reason for that is that there is no answer. Any time the hardware variable is changed the answer needs to be reevaluated.

Back