PLP with Dell u2711

Riddlemethisj

Limp Gawd
I could really use some help on getting my plp setup ready. I was initially going to get two cheap dell 1708FP monitors with a resolution of 1280 x 1024 because the widths are almost identical to the height of my dell u2711, and my ocd would just kill me if it wasn't close. My main question is would it better to go with the dell e1709w that has a resolution of 1440x900 which corresponds to the dell u2711 2560 x 1440 resolution and just scoot my side monitors back a little bit giving them the appearance of the same height? Or does having different horizontal resolution not affect the usability of a plp setup?

Are you wanting to do PLP for eyefinity gaming, or separate monitor workstation use? PLP in Eyefinity don't work.

separate monitor workstation, I don't care for eyefinity that much.

In terms of usability it depends on what apps you're workstation-ing on. But in general, most app GUIs are made with widescreen-format panels in mind as well as virtually all websites. Having done 3x1280x1024 for a bit for both gaming and workstationing, those tiny 5x4 panels feel very cramped simply due to the overriding presumption of 16:9/10.

I'd be more bothered by monitors being offset in distance from me, than slightly different vertical side by side sizing. Most of the time you won't be looking at the very bottom of the monitors anyway, and seldom at the top apart from maybe menu pulldowns.

Thanks for the quick response and advice I'm probably going to go with the dell e1709w and see if the different heights bothers me more than offsetting them.

Apologies for digging up a several month old thread, but I am thinking of doing pretty much exactly the same thing. Did you end up paring the two and what do you think?

Thanks.

Works for me once I got used to it. I don't game on the side monitors. They do have TN shift pretty bad in portrait mode, and are only 900 wide, but I only use them as"sidebar" monitors for chat, progress meters, download managers, volume mixer, playlists, email inbox listing, and some text files, etc which they work great for.. The side monitors are $110 asus led backlit TN's on monoprice monitor arms. I had to set the 1440x900 ones back on an angle, about 10" at the furthest corner of the 19" monitor.. Its difficult to get a good picture of it aligning as it would seated in person.

This rough pic from my early testing of the original setup has some pretty bad fish-eye lens effect from my cell phone camera so it doesn't look as aligned.
27inCinema_19inAsus-x2_a.jpg

This is part of the array I now use. (Camera flash reflected, doesn't look like that during use).
acd-and-19in-900x1440_1sm.jpg

The whole array, obviously only lines up from seated position in front of the main monitors. I do have an ergotron arm for the cinema display now but the 27" 120hz samsung (sprung for it when they had $399 sale) is tied to its base circuitry and has no vesa mount.
monitor-array_blooming_1sm.jpg

Hey

Model number on thos Asus screens ???

and anyone else running PLP setup with a u2711

Back