Plextor MP5 Pro Xtreme 256GB SSD Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Plextor MP5 Pro Xtreme 256GB SSD Review - The Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme 256GB SSD is designed and optimized for users with demanding workloads. The Marvell Monet 9187 controller in tandem with the 19nm Toshiba Toggle Mode NAND provides outstanding specifications. We test the M5 Pro Xtreme with other flagship SSDs.

I like these Plextors but they just cost too much right now. I likely would have waited for a deal on one had Microcenter not sold me an 840 Pro for $205. :p

Plextor used to be The Shit(TM) back in the days when speed and reliability of CD-RW drives was a thing. As I recall they were big in SCSI as well. Same company or a different one living off the brand name?

Nope, that is the same Plextor :) They really did make a huge name for themselves in the optical storage world. Now they are moving forward with SSDs, and with good reason. The optical storage market is plummeting.

@TheMonsterLives- Yes these SSDs do carry a bit of a premium, but that is because they are intended for the professional market, use in arrays (they need heavy GC due to a TRIM-free environment), etc.

However, they are nowhere near overpriced, like some SSDs are. Reference Monster Digital products....ridiculous prices for no discernible reason!

Note that the review model appears to have the 1.02 firmware, whereas there is a 1.03 firmware that was recently released.

I like these Plextors but they just cost too much right now. I likely would have waited for a deal on one had Microcenter not sold me an 840 Pro for $205. :p

Kinda agree. Then again, my jump in point is $89 for a good performing 256 unit. They'll come around to my way of thinking. :D

I ordered one of these drives last night, got it for $250 CAN, shipping included. Glad you guys are pleased with it :D

These plextor SSDs (starting from the M3) are very very good. I'll definitely get them if pricing is not the issue.

I ordered one of these from NewEgg last week and got it Monday. Price was $209.99 but I used a Visa V.Me promotion and my total was $188.99. It's a nice upgrade for me from a Crucial M4 64gb. I cloned it using Macrium Reflect and then extended the partition in Windows and everything is working great so far.

Well done review. I've been poking around SSD reviews lately because I'm probably gonna jump ship to Intel when Haswell drops and that'll mean an OS reinstall and when I do that, I'm gonna retire my 5 year old 320GB WD that has served as my OS drive and upgrade to a SSD.

Even tho I won't be putting heavy loads on it, these new Plextors lookpretty ggood and with their durability, should last a good long time.

I'm experiencing frequent OS freezes after upgrading HDD in the MacBook (MB986, mid'09) to the PX-512M5P SSD. Freezes could lasts for minutes. The first freeze was about a week after upgrade, then it happens every few days and now it's several times a day. The SMART is ok, as far as I can tell.
What it could be? Could it be fixed somehow?

You might have a borked OS. Elevate a cmd prompt to admin status and type in:
sfc /scannoe

You might have a borked OS. Elevate a cmd prompt to admin status and type in:
sfc /scannoe
Maybe it's unusual, but I'm using Mac OS X on MacBook.
This is a clean install of the OS, it's not cloning. I've installed it twice from different sources to exclude any data corruption, but result is the same.

Last edited:

How could you possibly think these cost too much when your running an i7-K series? This SSD is the king of most other SSDs. I think the price is quite reasonable considering the going price of these things.

hmmmm.... a mac. I cant help there :p
I have familiarity with them at all.
Actually though there is an issue with Macs and TRIM. Apple has disabled TRIM for all non-Apple SSDs.
There is an easy way to enable TRIM for your device, they just make you do it manually. That is probably the issue .

here is a guide :)

Last edited:
Actually though there is an issue with Macs and TRIM. Apple has disabled TRIM for all non-Apple SSDs.
There is an easy way to enable TRIM for your device, they just make you do it manually. That is probably the issue .
Thanks for the tip, but the TRIM is enabled immediately after the OS installation (with a patch).

Back