Plextor drive issue?

infin@

Gawd
I've had my trusty px-755sa for about two years and have had no problems with it. The only aggravating issue, until recently was dvd playback would stutter and hang, once or twice at the beginning of any dvd movie, after the initial stutter everything would play smoothly.
My current problem is driving me nuts!!! UT3, GoW, and Witcher all won't install!! I have tried multiple times with all three games and it gets to the same spot and the dvd-rom spins up and down a few times....then nothing. My HD activity lights stays fully illuminated and my computer begins hang and freeze on a whim. The only cure for the hangs and freezing is a reboot. Any ideas? I'm a few steps away from throwing this drive out the window! The games all run fine on my roomates rig which has a $40 nec dvd-rom.

My firmware is up-to-date with 7.08

Contacted technical support and was told it was an anti-piracy software that was to blame. Apparently some of the earlier plextor drives trouble reading through the "star command" bs they put on the disks. Any other ideas people?

Back