PLEX DVR > MCEBUDDY > Roku direct stream?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
Probably a long shot, but is anyone using the Plex DVR for recording, then processing the file via MCEBuddy to an MP4 container and watching via a Roku device? I've got it working but the files are still transcoding, so I'm hoping someone can point me to a good profile or configuration settings that will convert the file configured to allow direct streaming to the Roku devices (Roku 3 for now, may upgrade the living room one soon though).

If the Roku is on the same network you shouldn't have to transcode. Make sure your quality is set to original (it will probably say "not recommended"). Plex will only try to transcode if your device is looking for a lower bitrate, but locally it should be fine

If the Roku is on the same network you shouldn't have to transcode. Make sure your quality is set to original (it will probably say "not recommended"). Plex will only try to transcode if your device is looking for a lower bitrate, but locally it should be fine
Weeel... The problem there is that the Roku doesn't support MPEG-2. OP doesn't mention whereabouts he is but all of ATSC and a lot of cable channnels come across as MPEG-2 so Plex will have to transcode.

Weeel... The problem there is that the Roku doesn't support MPEG-2. OP doesn't mention whereabouts he is but all of ATSC and a lot of cable channnels come across as MPEG-2 so Plex will have to transcode.
I don't think this is the problem. OP already stated that they are using MCEBuddy to convert to MP4, which should be encoding the MPEG-2 to an MP4 container with the video encoded in another format, theoretically one which the Roku supports. Also, it's not so much that the stream is coming across as MPEG-2, but that almost all (if not all) tuner cards/devices have MPEG-2 encoders that process the incoming video stream from the antenna/cable source.

Recordings are stored originally in MPEG2 but converted to MP4 via MCEBuddy to avoid transcoding. I'll go back and look again.. it should be direct streaming but I'm thinking the issue is with the audio conversion.

In your plex dvr settings there is a transcode option if you click on the gear icon of your tuner. I have mine transcode while recording, and it outputs a .mkv file. It does say it takes some CPU horsepower, and i don't know what your setup is but give it a try.

Back