Plex causing Nvidia shadowplay to load

WarriorX

2[H]4U
Just updated the Plex Windows app and every time it loads it causes Shadowplay to activate and start recording for instant replay. Is it possible to turn this off without needing to turn off Nvidia instant replay? This wasn't happening before the update.

I don't believe so. Nvidia does not allow disabling Shadowplay per app, unfortunately, which I think is a really stupid oversight/decision. I suppose they want you to constantly disable/re-enable it as needed.

Sounds like the Plex update might have changed how they handle GPU engagement or something, and seems Shadowplay does get started by a number of different apps. I'm guessing GPU-accelerated apps are susceptible to this.

Are you using Plex through the Windows store, or a stand-alone install? I've had numerous GPU issues with store apps so I avoid them like the plague (usually frame/tearing issues with Twitch/YT store apps)

I don't believe so. Nvidia does not allow disabling Shadowplay per app, unfortunately, which I think is a really stupid oversight/decision. I suppose they want you to constantly disable/re-enable it as needed.

Sounds like the Plex update might have changed how they handle GPU engagement or something, and seems Shadowplay does get started by a number of different apps. I'm guessing GPU-accelerated apps are susceptible to this.

Are you using Plex through the Windows store, or a stand-alone install? I've had numerous GPU issues with store apps so I avoid them like the plague (usually frame/tearing issues with Twitch/YT store apps)
Thats kinda what I figured as I was finding discussion about per app enabling from several years ago. It is Plex for Windows but I think I downloaded it from their website.

Recent update has been terrible and is the first bad experience I've had with Plex since using it several years ago. Hope they release an update to fix it as it also has a bad memory leak with ram usage going to 3+ GB after being open only a few minutes. Either that or I'll reinstall in hope it fixes something.

Edit: Found an older installer from a few months ago and installed it. Old version working how it was before the update. Hope they fix the issues whenever they do another update.

Last edited:
Back