Please Welcome Our New Robot Overlords

HardOCP News

[H] News
I watched this video and all I saw were robots that could crush your head, grab your arm, track you and eventually incapacitate you before you are dissected. I will not go quietly. :eek:

I will be the first to prostrate to Multivac and gain his favor, to become his favorite pet so that I can outlive you all! bwahahahahaha

That was disappointing. So far nothing more than rolling tables and slow moving arms. When I was 12, I figure we'd have Terminators or Data's by now.

Until ZISC processor research makes a breakthrough, robot overlords is a fantasy at best.
The robots in the video were impressive though, definitely an improvement from five years ago.

I don't trust that asshole driving the scooter. Something's not right with him.

yea you would figure that we would be able to build much more advanced autonomous robots by now.. cant wait until they can build stuff like in real steel.. but the limiting factor is always going to be power, unless engineers can figure out a way to store huge amounts of power safely then we will always be limited by what we can do

In high school we built the HeathKit Hero 1 robot. It could do most of what you saw there.
That was 1984.
hero3e.JPG

The robot at 0:54 ispretty impressive. I've seen demos of them on controlled courses with clearly marked navigation markers and simple static obstacles. It's finally gotten to the point they can just let it loose on a public showroom and not get underfoot?

I'm still waiting for a toy version of 2:40. If they can make one that runs off wifi (client, not server like the ARDrone) that'll be fun to have running around the house.

In high school we built the HeathKit Hero 1 robot. It could do most of what you saw there.
That was 1984.

Thats kind of what I was thinking (though I never used that thing). All of this stuff seems like student projects or something. Robot technology seems to be going at a snails pace. :(

Thats kind of what I was thinking (though I never used that thing). All of this stuff seems like student projects or something. Robot technology seems to be going at a snails pace. :(

When I was a kid the "geeks" built electronics kits. At the high school science fair one year a guy entered a robotic arm project and won 1st price. He was hailed as a boy genius.
But I knew he broke the rules. He entered a HeathKit robotic arm kit but left off all the plastic cladding. The rules were no kits, everything built from scratch.
I told one of the science teachers that he was cheating; it was a kit and I can show him the catalog it came from. The teacher accused me of be jealous of his talent. :rolleyes:
Wasn't that. Might have been jealous because his parents bankrolled his victory with an expensive kit.

When I was a kid the "geeks" built electronics kits. At the high school science fair one year a guy entered a robotic arm project and won 1st price. He was hailed as a boy genius.
But I knew he broke the rules. He entered a HeathKit robotic arm kit but left off all the plastic cladding. The rules were no kits, everything built from scratch.
I told one of the science teachers that he was cheating; it was a kit and I can show him the catalog it came from. The teacher accused me of be jealous of his talent. :rolleyes:
Wasn't that. Might have been jealous because his parents bankrolled his victory with an expensive kit.

You still seem bitter about it? Please lie down here on the couch and tell us more. :D

The last time I was impressed with a robot was the Roomba. I probably won't be impressed again until a robot can do my laundry and/or dishes for me.

I'm only impressed by the Roomba by the fact that it's still on the market. Does it really work that well? Hmm... well, either way, I suppose it's progress. I just wish more money and folks were designing robots, they are cute.

Back